Author Topic: Conny Pohlers  (Read 1228 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Conny Pohlers
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »
Pohlers thrilled by Frankfurt deal
Wednesday 5 March 2008
by Steffen Potter from Frankfurt

German international Conny Pohlers has celebrated her successful first campaign at 1. FFC Frankfurt by extending her contract for 12 months until summer 2009.

'At home'
Pohlers, 29, made the switch from rivals 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam in the close season and is top of the Frauen-Bundesliga scoring charts with 15 goals for the league leaders. "I have really enjoyed my first season in Frankfurt and I feel at home at 1. FFC Frankfurt", said Pohlers, capped 59 times by Germany. "It is a big challenge to continue playing for this top team." Having helped Potsdam lift the 2004/05 UEFA Women's Cup, only to be pipped in the final by Frankfurt a season later, Pohlers will resume her attempt to win her new club a third European title when they take on ASD CF Bardolino Verona in the semi-finals on 29 March and 5 April.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=668171.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Conny Pohlers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:00:24 AM »
Pohlers playing her part
Wednesday 14 May 2008
by Steffen Potter from Frankfurt

Germany coach Silvia Neid declared after the 5-0 win in Belgium last week that took her team to UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ that striker Conny Pohlers "is experiencing an Indian summer in her career". That could prove the difference in the UEFA Women's Cup final.

In form
Pohlers has been on superb form on her first season since joining 1. FFC Frankfurt from arch-rivals 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam, and leads the Bundesliga scoring table on 20 goals. She has also chipped in with three in the UEFA Women's Cup, a competition which she won in 2005, scoring in both legs of the final, before losing the following year to Frankfurt.

Comparison
Ahead of Saturday's final first leg at Umeå IK, Pohlers mused on the differences between her current team and the side that beat Djurgårdens/Älvsjö three years ago to lift the cup. "At Frankfurt we have half the national team at our disposal and that's of course a sign of quality," Pohlers told uefa.com. "The two teams are simply different. We are very strong in passing, we don't play as many long balls as we did at Potsdam, but in 2005 we had a good team as well, otherwise we would not have won. Women's football has improved a lot."

Marta threat
But what about the comparison between their Swedish opponents then and now? "Well, that's three years ago, it's really hard to compare," Pohlers responds. "But from what I've heard Umeå are dangerous in front of goal. I don't know that much about them right now. I of course know Marta, who can decide a match on her own. Swedish teams usually play a lot of long balls and are very physical."

Revival
When making the switch from Potsdam, Pohlers hardly had an automatic place in the team and indeed she missed out on Germany's 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup squad. The fact she is back in the national squad is proof of how things are going at Frankfurt. "[My expectations] were even exceeded," the 29-year-old said. "I knew it would be difficult and it was, as there are so many great players here, most of them internationals, but at the moment I am starting games and scoring goals, so I am very pleased."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=693943.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »
Conny fired two goals for Frankfurt in the UEFA Cup Final 2nd Leg win against Umeå IK to add to her goal in the first leg. That adds to her five goals in previous finals. Quite a big match player.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:07:09 PM »
Women's champions bursting with pride
Saturday 24 May 2008
by Paul Saffer & Markus Juchem from Frankfurt

Conny Pohlers celebrates with Birgit Prinz (No9) (©sportsfile)
Most people would be happy to score one goal in a European final during their careers – but in helping 1. FFC Frankfurt lift the UEFA Women's Cup today, Conny Pohlers took her tally to eight.

Vital goals
Pohlers claimed three over two legs when 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam defeated Djurgarden/Älvsjö to win the 2005 edition and the next year managed two more as her team fell to Frankfurt. But it was for Frankfurt and against another Swedish side, Umeå IK, that Pohlers equalised in last week's 1-1 away draw and in the home return she struck two more to delight the record crowd of 27,640 and help secure a 4-3 aggregate success.

Doing her job
"We went out there with a lot of confidence for this game," Pohlers said. It is an honour to have won this trophy with two different clubs. I am always motivated, but especially so for these kind of matches. I am really happy about the goals but that is my job as a striker. I have to thanks my parents for all the energy I had today – I was born like that! Everybody was up for this game and we feel like world club champions."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=700865.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »
Pohlers problem is fraught for Frankfurt
Monday 1 September 2008

Germany forward Conny Pohlers is to miss the first stages of 1. FFC Frankfurt's UEFA Women's Cup defence after she was ruled out for three months with a knee injury.

Final feat

Pohlers joined Frankfurt in summer 2007 from 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam and struck three times over two legs in the UEFA Women's Cup final against Umeå IK to win the competition for the second time in her career. However, a knee problem restricted the 29-year-old's part at the Olympics to a substitute appearance in Germany's bronze medal match win against Japan and after the injury flared up in training at Frankfurt she underwent surgery for cartilage damage.

Bitter blow

Following the operation last Friday, Pohlers is to rest for six weeks and is expected to take the same amount of time to rehabilitate before returning to full training. That will keep her out of the opening part of Frankfurt's Frauen Bundesliga defence, which begins against SC 07 Bad Neuenahr on Sunday, and also prevents Pohlers playing in the UEFA Women's Cup second qualifying round from 9-14 October and, should they progress, the quarter-finals the following month. Frankfurt general manager Siegfried Dietrich said: "The long-term absence of Conny Pohlers is a big loss for us and a very bitter start to the season for Conny. We wish her a problem-free recovery and hope that she will be available to coach Günter Wegmann again as soon as possible."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=744829.html

UEFA prediction that Conny would be a big miss proved to be right. In this weeks UEFA Cup Group 1 game, Frankfurt struggled against their Russian opponents.

"The UEFA Women's Cup second qualifying round began with a sensation as 41-year-old Hanna Kostraba scored the only goal to give Russia's Zvezda-2005 victory against holders 1. FFC Frankfurt as 16 teams chase eight quarter-final places from the four groups."