Author Topic: Kelly Smith  (Read 74370 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: Kelly Smith
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
Mmmmm, not really.  I don't think the sites are all that busy when they are up anyway.  Unitt's one has remained half updated for months...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »
I must admit that I don't really look at the websites of the players very often. As you say Toad, they are not really updated that much. Maybe they just don't have the time.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »
Kelly's website has officially bitten the dust so I have taken off the link....

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »
Kelly's website has officially bitten the dust so I have taken off the link....

Has Unitt's as well?  It's not listed on her MySpace anymore....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »
Unitt's is still listed on her myspace but it's still not working....Kelly said her site was being done by a friend in the States..She isn't sure if she's going to get another one....

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 10:45:33 AM »
I think Kelly Smith has a facebook, either that or someone is pretending to be her....

shlj

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
it's hers

Offline justme!

• View Profile
ok
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
Good player is that Kelly Smith  8)

^^ Yep - I can read the future...ha!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 10:08:51 PM »
She is indeed  :D Hope this World Cup will be her chance to shine on the big stage

The Facebook is her's...she has dropped her website though...

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 08:30:31 AM »
Player to Watch: Kelly Smith

Over 11 and a half years ago, Kelly Smith made her England debut against Italy. She was 17-years-old. Now at the age of 28 at the peak of her career, she is preparing for her first FIFA Women's World Cup and cannot wait for her team's first game against Japan on 11 September in Shanghai.

The striker, who has scored 21 times in 61 appearances for the Three Lions will be returning to the scene of arguably her finest hour on the international stage when she lands in China. Back in January, she was part of the England squad which took part in the Four Nations Tournament and her displays earned her the player of the tournament award.

With England earning draws against the USA and Germany, Smith also found herself receiving warm words of praise from the coaches of all the teams involved in the tournament, which raised her worldwide profile and consequently earmarked her as a player to watch.

"The Four Nations tournament in China really whetted my appetite for the World Cup," she told FIFA.com. "It was great to play against the big teams in a tournament and I was lucky to be named the MVP, which I was delighted to receive considering that we were playing against the USA, Germany and China.

"Although it is nice to receive accolades and plaudits, for me it's just about going onto the pitch and performing. I just enjoy taking part in the game I love to play. I always try to play with a smile on my face and get the team going. But yes, there is a mean streak to me too - I want to win every game and score goals too. I'm extremely competitive in that respect."

Smith's competitive streak was nurtured in the USA, where she became the first (and only) English player to play professionally. Although her appearances were limited in the latter part of her spell due to a number of injuries, she was one of the league's most popular players. Former USA coach April Heinrichs repeatedly claimed that Smith would have been an automatic selection for the US national side when they were in their pomp.

She was also named East Conference Offensive Player of the Year for three consecutive years at college and the University retired her shirt number, the first time they had done that for a female athlete, in honour of all the records she had broken during her time there.

"Going to the US helped me a lot," she admitted. "I became used to playing regularly with and against the best players in the world. When I went over there I was taken aback with the level of intensity that they showed in training every day, their enthusiasm and appetite for the game - it rubbed off on me and it developed my game. Now, I'm using what I have learned in the States to help the English game develop - and that's given me tremendous satisfaction."

Since returning from the US in 2005, Smith signed up with her first club Arsenal and became the assistant Academy director of the club's women's side. As well as that, she was part of the history making Arsenal team which won the league title, the FA Cup, the League Cup and the UEFA Cup last season. A total of 57 goals in 58 starts for the club in her second spell highlights her importance to the Gunners and to England.

"Last season was amazing, I don't think a team will ever do win the quadruple again," she smiled. "It was a fantastic year and when you add qualification for the World Cup to that, well, I'm living a dream. It really has been a golden year for women's football in England.

"I'm lucky enough to work and play for Arsenal, so I get the best of both worlds. I get to coach the youngsters, but I also get the time to train and get into the best possible shape for my club and for my country."

After scoring a hat-trick against the Netherlands at Charlton, Vera Pauw, the Dutch coach, called Smith "the best player in the world." Without going as far as to say that, the England coach Hope Powell was quick to recognize her importance to the team in a recent interview with FIFA.com.

"She's a vital member of this team and a great player," said Powell. "For us, it's important that Kelly plays well, but she needs to be supported by the players around her. Kelly cannot win a game on her own. In China, I thought that Kelly did OK, but I've seen her play much better. However, she was given a greater exposure during the Four Nations tournament and that attention will no doubt give her a lot of confidence, which I believe will help her prove that she is one of the world's greatest players during this World Cup."

For Smith, who made her England debut just a few months after her country's only appearance at the FIFA Women's World Cup finals in 1995, an appearance at China 2007 will represent the fulfilling of a career-long ambition.

"It's been a dream of mine to play at a World Cup for well over a decade," she said. "I can't wait to play on the biggest stage of them all - in a competition which everyone says is amazing. Hopefully, we can come out and have a good tournament.

"We always seem to get drawn with Germany, but that could work in our favour. It will be interesting to come up against Japan and Argentina. The games against them are crucial - we simply have to win them both to get out of the group. And when you enter the knockout stages, anything can happen!"

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/playertowatch/newsid=561983.html#player+watch+kelly+smith

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
England's hot shot

Steve McClaren's side are struggling, but England have one of the best players in the world - and in China this month Kelly Smith is hoping to add success in the World Cup to her list of honours. Anna Kessel meets the Zidane of the women's game, who has had to overcome prejudice and depression to fulfil her dream

Sunday September 2, 2007
Observer Sport Monthly

In Bend It Like Beckham, there is a scene where Jules and Jess, the football-obsessed teenagers, are watching a women's game from the United States on television. ' ... And Smith beats the keeper!' shouts the commentator. 'Goal for Kelly Smith, the England international!' Beckham's is the name in the title, but Smith, seen in the 2002 film making her American debut, was the real inspiration - England's first female professional footballer.

We meet outside Harrow School, where England's women's team have been preparing for their World Cup campaign in China. It is 12 years since England previously appeared in the finals but last year, coached by Hope Powell, they finished top of their qualifying group, unbeaten. China 2007 will be Smith's first World Cup.
At 27, after nearly 10 years as an international, she has achieved everything else possible. She went from playing on weekends at Watford leisure centre, to playing professionally in the US, on a $30,000 contract with Philadelphia Charge. In the past three seasons, she has won seven trophies with Arsenal Ladies and last season helped them take all four major tournaments in the same season, an unprecedented feat. Smith scored 30 goals for Vic Akers's team as they picked up the European Cup, FA Cup, League title and League Cup.

There was only one blot on a perfect year: being suspended from both legs of the European Cup final. Speaking as quietly as she does, it is hard to imagine how Smith could offend a referee. But she was sent off in the semi-final against Danish side Brondby. 'I just lost it,' Smith says, 'something angry went in my head. I could hear their fans jeering at me and I stuck a finger up at them ... Watching the final from the stands was the most nerve-racking time of my life.'

Although a striker, Smith is frequently called the Zinedine Zidane of the women's game. At a pre-World Cup competition earlier this year against China and the world's top two sides, Germany and America, she won Player of the Tournament. Watching her twist and turn, and her immaculate ball control, the others seemed to be playing catch-up with her talent. Starting runs from deep in her own half, she is often mistaken for a midfielder, and she has a powerful shot from either foot. Vera Pauw, Holland's coach, says she is the best player in the world; the former US national coach, April Heinrichs, lamented that Smith was never eligible for her side.

Like Zidane, too, she is a contradictory character. Indomitable on the pitch, in conversation she is withdrawn and vulnerable, and there have been periods in her life when, injured and out of the game, she has suffered depression. She needs football, she says, to feel alive.

Smith was born in Watford on 29 October 1978 and was kicking a ball almost as soon as she could walk. As she grew up she practised obsessively, either on her own in the playground against a wall, or with the local boys in the park. She was better than her younger brother, better than the boys on the teams she played with. But girls were not welcome in football. The FA had only lifted their ban on women playing on the grounds of affiliated clubs in 1971 and women's football would not have a league for another 20 years.

Smith cut her hair short and played in a boys' team until parents of rival sides stopped mistaking her for a boy and lobbied for her to be removed from the league. She was nine. 'I was angry,' she says. 'I was always being told I shouldn't be playing. I'd even hear it from friends. They didn't say I personally wasn't any good, but they'd just say girls are rubbish, and it hurt. Football was a part of me.' Smith eventually found a girls' team in Pinner Park, where she was able to play regular team football. She was only 13 when, playing a friendly against a US touring team, she so impressed that American scouts flew over to England to offer her a university scholarship she wouldn't be able to take up until she was 17. By that time, she was a striker for Arsenal Ladies and, aged 17 years and three days, had made her England debut.

Smith took up her scholarship at Seton Hall University, in New Jersey, in 1995. Four years later, the US hosted the World Cup. England did not qualify and Smith watched from the stands. US defender Brandi Chastain scored the penalty that clinched the trophy in front of a home crowd of 90,000 at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, flashed her bra in triumph, and the sport became an overnight hit. Multi-million dollar endorsements rolled in for the team now dubbed 'Babe City'. After the US victory. Smith told the Sun: 'I don't want to come home because women's football in England is a joke.' 'I was frustrated,' Smith says now. 'I wanted to play professional football, and I knew that wasn't going to happen in England. Playing for Arsenal we only got to train Tuesday and Thursday evenings, but I wanted to touch the ball every day.'

In 2001 the Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA) launched a US league and women's football in America turned professional. Smith was quickly signed by Philadelphia Charge for an annual salary of $30,000. But after an impressive first season, she suffered two major knee injuries and a broken leg in the next three years. Unable to play, she began to suffer depression. 'I got into a very bad patch,' she says. 'I get my happiness from playing, but I couldn't play. I didn't talk to anybody about it. Perhaps that's where the problems stemmed from. I wasn't in contact with my family and it got very lonely. I always gave a smile, everybody thought I was OK, but deep down I was really hurting.'

Team-mates have found Smith, an extreme introvert, hard to fathom. On winning a Player of the Year award in the US she hid in the bathrooms rather than face a crowd. 'I'm two different people,' she says. 'Around the team I'm very quiet and reserved. I find it hard to mix. People look up to me, I'm expected to be some kind of funny person, but really I'm nervous. People see that as rude or arrogant, but it's just not knowing what to say.'

In 2004, after only three seasons, WUSA collapsed. The organisers had a budget of $40m for the first five years, but spent the lot in just one season. High attendances and good TV viewing figures could not cover the deficit. Players took wage cuts for the final season, but the league was doomed. 'It was devastating,' Smith says. 'I had just lost my visa. I decided to come back to England and get my head right.'

Smith was still battling depression and another foot injury prevented her playing more than a single full match at the European Championship in 2005, which was held in England. She saw a counsellor to help her cope, while on the pitch she was frustrated by the slow pace of the English game. But she developed a strong relationship with England coach Hope Powell. 'She helped me out when I wasn't happy, I was on the phone a lot to her.' Over the past 12 months Smith, free from injury and personal conflict, has found her form, and peace of mind. And with increased support from the FA, England have slowly climbed the international rankings and are now 12th in the world - the highest they have ever been.

In China this month, drawn against world number ones Germany as well as Argentina and Japan, England will have to battle to get out of their group. Smith is ready for her biggest role. 'I've been given a gift and I call it a gift because - even though it sounds arrogant - it comes naturally. This is my calling: to help put England on the map.'

ยท The England team, sponsored by Nationwide, play their first World Cup game on 14 September

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2158358,00.html

Offline becky09

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »
and best of luck to her and the england team, would be nice to see england put on the map of womens football
Champions of Norway!!!!!

shlj

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
She is a fantastic player, I always say she is a mix between Zidane, Pires and Henry together.
Only her temper lets her down in games as she is regularly involved in aggro on the pitch   ;D
I was at Brondby at the game where she gave the finger to the crowd and she was really aggressive during the game
she could have got 3 yellow cards.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
What was Hope on about when she was complaining about Kelly's goal celebrations I didn't think they were all that excessive certainly didn't think it showed a 'lack of respect.'  After all she's been through then getting goals in a World Cup, you could argue that she was restrained.

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
Kelly Smith is making a great world cup untill now

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
This item from the FIFA site was written over a week ago but I don't think it's on here anywhere and it's a pretty impressive testimonial for Kelly.

Sun shines on Smith
Tuesday 11 September 2007

It was not a textbook interview. A FIFA.com journalist had just finished speaking to Sun Wen about her relationship with fellow women's football legend Kristine Lilly when his interviewee elected to dictate the topic of conversation. "I think England's Kelly Smith will be the player of the tournament," the joint-FIFA Women's Player of the Century declared out of nowhere.

"She is an outstanding player, one of the very best in the world," the Chinese great continued, her voice bubbling with enthusiasm. "What impresses me most about her is how good she is on the ball. Many Europeans are very good physically, but Smith is technically outstanding. She has so much skill, vision and passing ability. People will be so impressed by how creative she is."

Given the fact that England and their glittering No10 had failed to crop up in conversation prior to Sun Wen's remarks, it is all the more striking that somebody of her prestige chose to initiate conversation about Smith, who will debut on the world stage when the 'Three Lionesses' take on Japan on Tuesday. Not that those who have seen the attacking midfielder in action will disagree with her assessment.

Masterfully combining playmaking and goal-taking duties, the Arsenal ace inspired England through the rigours of qualification, an achievement which denied France and Netherlands a trip to the Far East. Her efforts did not go unnoticed. However, while Smith may be living out a lifelong dream by participating in the FIFA Women's World Cup, such high praise from one of the game's greatest players was beyond her wildest fantasies.

'Gobsmacked'
On hearing Sun Wen's comments, England head coach Hope Powell said: "I'm just so pleased for Kelly. She's a great girl who has overcome so much adversity to reach this level, with injuries and so on. It's been very difficult for her - she went through a lot. For someone like Sun Wen, one of the all-time greats, to pay Kelly such compliments just goes to show how much she has achieved."

Powell went on to stress Smith's importance to the team: "She's such a down-to-earth girl. For Kelly, the team comes first. She is surrounded by very good players. They play for each other and have improved significantly as a group. But of course to have Sun Wen say such flattering things is great for Kelly. I'm sure she'll be really pleased."

Pleased is something Smith most certainly was when FIFA.com relayed Sun Wen's words to her. "I'm really shocked to be honest," the 28-year-old said. "To come from Sun Wen... she's an icon in Chinese football, in China and all over the world, a player that everybody knows. I'm gobsmacked that she's said it about me, but I'm obviously thrilled and delighted at the same time. It's such an honour to come from somebody like her."

The name of Sun Wen is, nonetheless, one of many on Smith's list of admirers - a list that appears destined to lengthen further over the coming weeks. Dutch tactician Vera Pauw described the England luminary as "the best player in the world" after her hat-trick propelled England to a 4-0 win over Netherlands in qualifying for a place at China 2007, while former USA coach April Heinrichs insisted she would have been an automatic choice in her all-conquering outfit had she been born Stateside.

Fortunately for Powell and England, Smith was born in Watford, 20-odd miles north-west of London. Incidentally, the town gave birth to ex-footballer Vinnie Jones, though it is in acting that the one-time midfield enforcer achieved greater celebrity. While Smith may be a long way from the bright lights of Hollywood, there is no doubt that she has the quality to illuminate China 2007. No less a judge than Sun Wen thinks so.

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/newsid=592347.html#sun+shines+smith

Offline protocol69

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 07:54:37 AM »
She is a fantastic player, I always say she is a mix between Zidane, Pires and Henry together.
Only her temper lets her down in games as she is regularly involved in aggro on the pitch   ;D
I was at Brondby at the game where she gave the finger to the crowd and she was really aggressive during the game

You must be joking! Kelly Smith is just another overated English player. She's only looked up to because she scored a few goals and you lot always need to celebrate something. A player who deserves credit is Karen Carney. One of the youngest players in the squad and yet manage to play consistently throughout and staying level headed. She played great against the big teams unlike Kelly Smith who showed up against Japan and Argentina who are absolutely rubbish.

shlj

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »

You must be joking! Kelly Smith is just another overated English player. She's only looked up to because she scored a few goals and you lot always need to celebrate something. A player who deserves credit is Karen Carney. One of the youngest players in the squad and yet manage to play consistently throughout and staying level headed. She played great against the big teams unlike Kelly Smith who showed up against Japan and Argentina who are absolutely rubbish.

Well if she is overrated, loads of people are wrong around the world about her.  ;D bref t'as de la merde dans les yeux mais ca c'est pas nouveau
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:35:03 PM by shlj »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
Kelly Smith On Jonathan Ross Show

England and Arsenal star, Kelly Smith, is to appear on the 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' show this week.

Kelly will be a guest alongside Take That, Sir Terry Wogan and Peter Serafinowicz.

The show goes out on BBC1 on
Friday 19th October, from 10:35-11:35pm.

http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=4356

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
And a bump to remind those who actually have a telly that Kelly will be on Jonathan Ross tonight