Author Topic: Kelly Smith  (Read 73235 times)

shlj

Re: Kelly Smith
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:06 AM »
She also has a good job at the academy and should anyone at the club move upstairs or somewhere else, she could end up academy director ?

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 05:23:36 AM »
You mean like if Emma Hayes left?  :D

Of course, U.S. fans are now wondering if Smith won't join Hayes at Chicago in the WPS ...
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

shlj

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »
That's what I meant ;)
 I wouldn't be surprised if Emma Hayes recruits are few english players in 2009 but Kelly not sure
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:01:08 AM by shlj »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
Not Just Anybody England football star Kelly Smith
England football star Kelly Smith talks about her injuries, red cards and looking good for the beautiful game

As well as playing for the England Women's football team, you're also one of the stars of Arsenal Ladies - are you on a winning streak?

Yes, we won the FA Women's cup last week when we beat Leeds 4-1.

Did you score?

I scored two of the goals.

It's the end of the season; can you put your feet up?

The England team have two weeks off before we start training for a friendly with Germany in July. Then we have two more qualifiers for the European championship later this year.

So it's a fortnight of partying before putting your boots back on?

Not quite. My coach has suggested that I try low-impact exercises such as yoga and cycling. Yoga's very good for stability and core strength.

Is that relaxing?

More so than training.

Do you train as hard as the boys?

Absolutely. We train every day; lots of weightlifting and long runs to build up stamina. It's harder for us though as we all have other jobs.

What's the day job?

I have a full-time job as assistant director for the Arsenal Girls' Academy. I help to train the girls and organise their matches. Other women in the sport work as postwomen or teachers.

A far cry from the men's game?

Yes. All the money is in the men's game. I get paid a little bit to play for Arsenal and a bit when we go away for England, but it's barely enough to survive on.

Does it unleash the green-eyed monster?

It can get frustrating seeing how much male footballers earn, and that they don't have to do a day job on top of training, but you do it because you love the game. And the crowds are growing.

Women's football compares well?

I think people have negative preconceptions about women's football. But if you watch a high-level women's game the technique is the same. We may not be as physical, but in terms of movement and excitement it's very similar.

Were you a tomboy?

I just wanted to be outside.

No Barbie dolls then?

I wasn't interested in girlie things; I didn't have dolls. I wanted to be active and I always had more male friends than female friends when I was little.

Ever get up to tabloid exploits with your team mates?

I work all week at Arsenal, train with my team mates and then play on a Sunday, so I only have Saturday off and that's for friends and family.

Have you ever dived to win a free kick?

There's not much play-acting or diving in women's football.

But you still get the odd red card?

Sometimes. I missed the UEFA Cup Final last year because I was suspended. But that's just two yellow cards - it's not as serious as a red.

What were they for?

I can't remember. Honestly. It might have been a bad tackle, but they happen in the heat of the moment.

Broken any bones?

My worst injury was when I tore my cruciate ligament in my right knee. It happened in 2001. I've had to have two operations since.

Pioneering surgery?

Yes. They replaced my ligament with one from a cadaver. We don't do it in Britain, but I was playing in America at the time. Usually they take a piece of your hamstring and use that as a replacement ligament but that means you have two areas to heal and it's not the right material for the job. Using the donor ligament means the rehabilitation time is reduced and you've got the right bit in the right place.

Is it back to full strength?

It's much better but I do special exercises for it. I have to keep the muscles strong around the knee to support it.

Anyone to kiss it better?

I was dating someone in America but it didn't work out.

Try any alternative therapies?

No, just physio. I did lots of stretching and weights.

Ever worry about your footballer's thighs?

Obviously we think about our weight and how we look, but it's not negative. It's because we have to take care of ourselves; we have to watch what we eat and exercise appropriately.

No food vices?

I am strict with my diet and we have a nutritionist on the coaching team at Arsenal who helps us to choose healthy food that will give us lots of energy, but Friday is chocolate day. I allow myself almost a whole day of bad eating.

Any pre-match superstitions?

I'm always the first to get ready in the changing room. Most players go and look at the pitch, but I need to get my head right.

How do you psych yourself up?

I do visualisation exercises the night before. I imagine myself on the pitch, taking players on, scoring and celebrating. It gives me more confidence.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article3944812.ece

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Ew she has a ligament of a cadaver inside her!

I love the way she says she can't remember what her yellow cards were for when she was suspended for the uefa cup final, good one  ;D

shlj

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
I remember it so should she ;D she just wound up the ref during that game and could have had 3 yellows

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
Maybe she thought she would be a bad role model to young girls if she said what had actually happened and so pretended she had no idea, boring but sensible!
At least we know what the real Kelly is like  ;D

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »
yeah, she's a top, top footballer.......

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »
ik think she has a good chance to be world player of the year this year

i mean look to what shes done in het career untill now

Offline justme!

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Nice interview  ;D

Anyway, got a bit bored and was browsing and came across this...the picture made me laugh so hard  :D haaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.tesco.com/health/hlc/fitness/features/on_the_ball.page

^^ Yep - I can read the future...ha!

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
my feeling is that she wont go back, she'll wanna stick with Arsenal and do the quad again.... ;D

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
Nice interview  ;D

Anyway, got a bit bored and was browsing and came across this...the picture made me laugh so hard  :D haaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.tesco.com/health/hlc/fitness/features/on_the_ball.page

Ha ha I wonder if she has blown up a copy for herself and put it on her wall.

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
hmm, cant see wots wrong with the pic... ??? ???

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Smith delighted with award

England striker Kelly Smith admits she was thrilled to win the Nationwide England Women's Player of the Year award.

Smith won the award, voted for by England fans on TheFA.com, and said she ranks it alongside some of the biggest prizes she has won during her career.

Smith has enjoyed an amazing career for both club and country and is regarded as one of the best female strikers in the world.

The Arsenal forward played a major role in helping the north London club win the quadruple two-years ago and was back to her best last season as she saw the Gunners land the double by winning the league and the FA Cup.

After starring for England at the World Cup last year, Smith believes she can become even better over the next few years and is delighted that supporters have recognised her talents.

Smith, who was speaking at a sponsoredbyyou.com coaching visit organised by England Team Sponsors Nationwide Building Society, said, "It is a great honour and up there with some of the big trophies I have won.

"To be voted by the fans on TheFA.com for my performances last season is a very proud achievement for me.

"I have come a long way playing from the age of six to where I am now and still going strong. I have 70 caps for England and I'm still going strong. I still feel I have got a good couple of years left in me.

"When I was younger I always had a dream of playing for England and that was always my goal.

"For any young girls aspiring to do the same, they should train as hard as possible and need to be touching the ball every day and working on their skills."

Despite winning the double, Smith is disappointed that Arsenal failed to win the UEFA Cup again last season.

But the prolific forward is pleased that other teams are starting to close the gap on Arsenal and hopes it will make the women's game more exciting to watch.

Smith said, "We got knocked out of the UEFA Cup in the quarter-final stage which was disappointing. Maybe we went into the game a bit naive thinking we would probably win it, but it wasn't meant to be for us.

"That was mentally draining knowing we were not in the best competition. I think other teams are starting to work us out and we lost the League Cup Final to Everton.

"It is good for the women's game and I don't like the fact that Arsenal keep winning everything because it then becomes a bit boring and mundane.

"But people are now looking at the women's game and feel there are other teams challenging than just Arsenal which is what we want because we don't want it to be a walkover all the time."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/SmithPoty_2007.htm

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2008, 11:56:29 PM »
I think we should use Kelly's own topic to congratulate her on her MBE.

Well done Kel ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2008, 12:01:55 AM »
I second that..well done.. ;)

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »
No report of Kelly's MBE from the BBC though.  :( Why the imbalance in reporting towards Julie? I must complain to the BBC about this.  ;)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
Fair enough comment about the different treatment of Fleets and Kelly - expect the item might have been prompted by BBC's offices in Scotland where she seems to gain more respect for her achievements.

Predictably the massive sports supplements missed both of them, drowned out by all the latest on Lampard, Scolari and Cantona.. Not just sexist either, The award to Cyrille Regis and his contribution to the game was also largely ignored.

footiechick

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
Congratulations to Kelly.About time!  :)