Author Topic: Kelly Smith  (Read 96838 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kelly Smith
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:57:13 AM »
England and Arsenal forward. Players player of the year last year.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:36:02 AM by David »

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Re: Kelly Smith
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 04:58:49 PM »
It was good to hear that Kelly received the Player of the match award today against the USA.

If they do start a new professional league in the USA in 2008, then you cannot fault Kelly's timing for impressing any potential future employers.  ;)

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »
Whilst browsing Heather Mitts' website, as you do, I discovered that she had written this in her forum about the recent USA - England game :

"Hi Everyone. Well another tie. Its not a loss but it isn't a win either. I was really impressed with England. They play pretty, pretty soccer. Kelly Smith who was a teammate of mine for the Philadelphia Charge, is a stud. She is finally healthy and is the heart and soul of the team. If you take her out of the equation they are a totally different team. Good players but they are always looking for Smith to create."

I'm not so familiar with some of the "American speak", but I think this is a big compliment to Kelly. So I decided to post it here.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
Smith: 'I believe'

Kelly Smith believes the England Women's team are capable of winning the World Cup following a successful warm-up tournament in China.

England have qualified for the finals for the first time since Sweden 1995 and prepared for September's tournament by playing in the China Cup recently.

The Three Lions lost 2-0 to the highly-rated Chinese hosts in their opening game but drew 0-0 with Germany and 1-1 with the United States after that.

Now Arsenal midfielder Smith, who was outstanding in China, believes the team has huge potential.

Speaking at the launch of the new Umbro England kit in Manchester yesterday she said: “I definitely believe we can win the World Cup - we are going there with that mentality. Once you get through the group stage anything can happen, it’s a one-off game situation.

“We have to prepare the right way and we’ve been doing that in the build-up to China, playing the very best teams in the world. I don’t see any reason why we can’t go on and win it."

Smith was impressed with the way England handled both the heat and the opposition in China and believes the experience will help when they return to the same country for the World Cup in September.

She said: "We were out there for 10 days. We lost the first game 2-0 to China but we got good results against the World champions Germany and also drew against the USA, who are ranked second.

"The England Women's team is young and up-and-coming and we're really looking forward to our first World Cup in 12 years."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/02/SmithBelieves.htm

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
There was a picture in one of the newspapers today of Kelly and Rachel Yankey modelling the new England kit, along with the other usual suspects, Lampard, Owen, Gerrard, Terry...

As for the new kit. It seems to be a case of spot the difference with the old one...

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:08:34 PM »
I saw that pic too although didn't see one that was good enough quality to snag for the forum...I did wonder what the difference was too although I'm not a major collector of every England kit to really remember that much about the old one  :D

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »
Smith counting days until China

Kelly Smith is in upbeat mood. The England women's team, of which she is an integral part, spent late January in China playing in the Four Nations Tournament that included the female game's traditional powerhouses of Germany and the United States. England managed credible draws with both - their first ever with Germany, and excellent preparation for the FIFA Women's World Cup, which will also be held in China in September.

'Eye-opener'
"It was a big eye-opener for me and the team," Smith said. "It was a good experience to go out there, see China, deal with the travel, the jet lag, the food and the difference of tournament football." Even with six months to go, the talented playmaker is getting excited about the prospect of her first World Cup: "Each time we meet up for internationals you feel a lot of excitement within the squad, especially as everyone's fighting for places."

March friendlies
That was perhaps evident in the results achieved in China. "Drawing with the USA and Germany is a big accomplishment and parts of the games we dominated, so we have to take a lot of confidence from that," Smith said. England will have the chance to continue that form when they play Russia, Scotland and the Netherlands in home friendlies on 8, 11 and 14 March, when they should welcome captain Faye White back into the squad after a long absence due to a anterior cruciate ligament injury. The defender is not quite fit to play but will be present as part of her rehabilitation.

Personal honours
By contrast, Smith seems to have put her history of injury problems far behind her. After being voted into the top five in the 2006 FIFA Women's World Player of the Year poll, the 28-year-old was named MVP at the Four Nations Tournament and has also helped Arsenal LFC to April's UEFA Women's Cup final - the first English club to contest that showpiece event.

'Team performance'
Smith prefers to spread the credit around, despite the personal plaudits. "In China, it was a team performance, not just me," she insisted. "I've known our potential for a while." So, how far can England go at the World Cup? Smith is positive without being gung-ho: "No one is expecting us to win, but deep down we have a strong belief and if we get out of the group, I think anything's possible."

Which, of course, would only further boost the profile of the female game in England, which reached new levels when UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2005™ was staged there. "All the games were covered on TV, I was getting recognised more in terms of going out and a couple of other players were too," Smith said. "With the World Cup coming up now, we're getting bigger attendances and we hope it will boom again."

Role model
In addition, she hopes to inspire young girls just getting into the game. "If I could be a seven or eight-year-old's role model then I'd love that," she said. "They'd think, 'maybe I can be the next Kelly Smith, play for England and be the player of a tournament'." Judging by recent displays, Smith and England have every possibility of making an impact - not only on budding stars of the future, but in China too this September.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/wowc/news/kind=1/newsid=511038.html

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Smith shines for England

KELLY SMITH skippered the England Women's team to back-to-back victories in the space of three days as they continued their preparation for September's World Cup.

The Arsenal Ladies striker, born in Watford, was on target in the 6-0 demolition of Russia at Milton Keynes last Thursday and then played the first 45 minutes of the 1-0 win over Scotland at Wycombe on Sunday.

Smith, who made her England debut in 1995, now has 19 goals in 57 appearances for her country.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/sport/sporttopstories/display.var.1255216.0.smith_shines_for_england.php

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
What a great player-she has skills and vision in her play way ahead of almost all other female players-a joy to watch..I hope that China allows her to show everyone that she is a world class talent. Keep injury free till then!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 03:40:45 PM »
Smith to miss Women's Uefa Cup Final

Arsenal Ladies manager Vic Akers has confirmed that Kelly Smith will miss both legs of the Uefa Women's Cup Final through suspension.

Smith, who has scored 19 goals in 22 appearances this season, was handed a three-match European ban after gesturing to the crowd in the Semi-Final first leg against Brondby.

The Ladies now face April's two-legged Final against Swedish champions Umeå without the player Akers described as "the best in the world".

"The story is that you're going to miss Kelly performing at the highest level," explained Akers.

"She was a silly girl but the circumstances at the ground were that she couldn't go down to the changing area because we had to change on the other side of the field. [As she walked around the pitch] she was taking abuse and she's put her finger up at the crowd."

The length of the ban infuriated Akers but his appeal was rejected by Uefa. According to her manager, the striker's absence will lessen the Final as a spectacle. 

"We can't appeal. We did at the time and it was thrown out," said Akers. "It's a massive blow. She's a fantastic player - very close to the girl that was voted player of the year [Umeå's Marta].

"From my point of view she is the best player in the world. We've got reasonable quality that will take over but not of the highest calibre of Kelly.

"She's a massive player and I think it's a miss for the Final to be honest. I would have loved to have seen those two players against each other and I think that would have done a hell of a lot of good for women's football."

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=456940&cpid=703&title=Smith+to+miss+Women's+Uefa+Cup+Final

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 05:29:47 PM »
These Scandinavian crowds sound like a bunch of barbarians. I couldn't imagine something like that happening in England.  ;)

shlj

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:47:11 PM »
I hear abuse at every  women's game it is shocking   ::) I did not see do the nice finger sign

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »
At least she didn't do an Eric Cantona.  ;)

shlj

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 06:43:13 PM »
Cantona at every right to do so. he got abused based on antionaltiy and other stuff that should have led to tother guy going in prison not him.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I'm surprised to hear about this.  Of all the games (woman's) I've been to I haven't seen anything that even remotely looked like trouble.  They've been one or two things I haven't been happy about but on the whole if anyone one shouts out.  It's usually parents complaining about the player's swearing shocking the sensitivities of they're little pride and joy.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline K.Smith-Legend

• View Profile
Kelly Smith
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »
See that no one else had put her up,so i had too!
obviously she's my best player ;D

All i can say is what a Legend!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 01:38:50 PM »
She's here somewhere  ;) She was just hiding on the second page !  :D

Offline K.Smith-Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
Oops sorry i didnt see the 2nd page :-\   ;D

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »
Ex-Seton Hall star isn't sold on return to WUSA

The return of professional women's soccer in the United States next year will certainly bring back all the domestic stars playing overseas, but the foreign stars might take a more cautious approach in fear of getting burned a second time.Kelly Smith is one of the former premier players from the defunct Women's United Soccer Association who is facing a difficult decision about her playing future because, this time, she has a lot more to lose.

The former Seton Hall University All-American forward not only plays for the Arsenal Ladies in England, but she is the assistant academy director at the Arsenal Ladies Academy, where she coaches the 16- to 19-year-olds.

"I think it's great that the WUSA is returning," Smith wrote in an e-mail from England. "It's great for soccer and the American public. I hope it will last for many years to come. I am happy in England with my job and my club soccer, so I'm unsure whether I will return, but you never know."

Despite of series of injuries, Smith, 28, has fond memories of her three years in the league, which folded after the 2003 season due to low attendance and lack of revenue.

"I had a great time playing pro and being involved with the Philadelphia Charge," she said. "It was amazing, playing the game I loved for a living. I was quite unlucky as I had so many long-term injuries throughout the league and never really showed what I felt I am capable of doing.

"But, overall, it was wicked."

The decision to return to the United States next year might depend on what happens this September, when Smith and England will play in the Women's World Cup for the first time.

England was drawn in Group A with Argentina, Japan and defending champion Germany for the tournament that will run Sept. 10-30 in China.

"We are really excited about our group," Smith said. "Any team that we face in the tournament is going to be tough, but we are confident we can get out of the group. Our coaching staff are doing their homework on the other nations so we have as much information on them as possible."

The top two teams in each group advance to the knockout stage, and it's likely England will finish second to Germany. That would set up a Sept. 22 quarterfinal match against the Group B winner, most likely the United States.

And a victory there might just convince Smith that a return stateside would be the best career move she could make.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/giase/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/117799351311540.xml&coll=1

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »
Kelly Smith's official site has been down for some time....Anyone aware of a new one appearing anywhere ?