Author Topic: England Under-20  (Read 36355 times)

Sylvain

Re: England Under-20
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
Strange campaign really : 1 point, 1 draw no wins 2 goal for 5 against.
Some of the players will definitely play for the senior team and others for the U23 but for some it was probably their last ever England game.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:44:21 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Eurycantha

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Is it coincidence that both European U19 finalists (France and England) in Macedonia are out, without in fact playing one good match at the WWC in Germany?

Too tired?

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Well I'm not sure about the France situation but whilst the England girls were almost certainly playing tired that isn't the whole reason.

I'm afraid Mo has to shoulder some the blame for some questionable selection and tactics - regardless of this maybe sounding harsh because of past success, she has to take the rough with the smooth. And the FA... I mean come on there's plenty of girls under 20 playing high level football in England, surely we don't have to depend on playing some of the same girls in the U19s and the U20s. The very fact we do at this stage shows there's a problem at grass roots level.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:51:48 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
And the FA... I mean come on there's plenty of girls under 20 playing high level football in England, surely we don't have to depend on playing some of the same girls in the U19s and the U20s. The very fact we do at this stage shows there's a problem at grass roots level.

The FA did not pick the squad.

The majority of the players were the same as for the u-19s because they are regarded as the most talented of the players available to the manager at this level.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
And the FA... I mean come on there's plenty of girls under 20 playing high level football in England, surely we don't have to depend on playing some of the same girls in the U19s and the U20s. The very fact we do at this stage shows there's a problem at grass roots level.

The FA did not pick the squad.

The majority of the players were the same as for the u-19s because they are regarded as the most talented of the players available to the manager at this level.

Erm... where did i say the FA picked the squad? Seriously dude if you're gonna reply to me read what i've actually wrote. I said the FA's blame in this farce was the fact they didn't support the game enough from grass root level to be able to have enough players to select for both the U19s and the U20s level. It doesn't matter about how highly talented they are - that's been the problem, depending too much on 'big players' to play for both levels.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
Erm... where did i say the FA picked the squad?

Well that is how I interpreted it when I read it the first time around.

I said the FA's blame in this farce was the fact they didn't support the game enough from grass root level to be able to have enough players to select for both the U19s and the U20s level. It doesn't matter about how highly talented they are - that's been the problem, depending too much on 'big players' to play for both levels.

The FA do support the game at all levels of the game.  The squad picked at u-19 and u-20 level was virtually the same because of the small age gap between the two.  It would have been a lot different had it been the u-20s and u-23s.

Of course England should pick a squad based on the ability rather than on availability and freshness of the players.  A country should not just hand out caps to players just because they meet the requirement of being under a certain age.  A player wants to be picked to play for the national team because they merit it and not for other reasons.  Mo’s u-19 and u-20 squads were the same because there are not many talented players eligible for the u-20s but not the u-19s.

You represent your country because you are regarded as the best at that level.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:43:47 AM by John »
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Erm... where did i say the FA picked the squad?

Well that is how I interpreted it when I read it the first time around.

I said the FA's blame in this farce was the fact they didn't support the game enough from grass root level to be able to have enough players to select for both the U19s and the U20s level. It doesn't matter about how highly talented they are - that's been the problem, depending too much on 'big players' to play for both levels.

The FA do support the game at all levels of the game.  The squad picked at u-19 and u-20 level was virtually the same because of the small age gap between the two.  It would have been a lot different had it been the u-20s and u-23s.

Of course England should pick a squad based on the ability rather than on availability and freshness of the players.  A country should not just hand out caps to players just because they meet the requirement of being under a certain age.  A player wants to be picked to play for the national team because they merit it and not for other reasons.  Mo’s u-19 and u-20 squads were the same because there are not many talented players eligible for the u-20s but not the u-19s.

You represent your country because you are regarded as the best at that level.

Not really working though is it John?

OK they got to the Euros final but did so by not actually playing very well, but managing to win games. Then they didn't even make it out of the group stages of the U20 WC. How can you even argue that the system they have in place is ok? There should either be a larger gap between levels or a completely different squad for the U19s and U20s (ok maybe a few players could play for both but not the amount that does now). It clearly doesn't work, and proof of that is in the last 2 tourneys. I would rather have more youngsters playing for England nice and fresh and not tired than the same players playing for both the U19s and the U20s and not performing because they're tired. It's a no brainer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:13:02 PM by Mackem Steve »

Sylvain

« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:24 PM »
I think they are not many girls born in 1990 who were playing in the National/Northern/Southern division to choose from.
So that would not make it easy for Mo Marley to pick up the 1990 players.
From the non Euro players she selected Weston, Moore Harrop and Hinnigan from 1990, Staniforth from 1991 and Carter from 1993.

For example, for 1990 I found only 2 players at Arsenal ! one of them is our 3rd goalkeeper, so she is not better than Spencer and the other one is non eligible
as not English but I am sure she would be an asset to the GBR team in 2012. Here is a non exhaustive list of 1990 players, I wish the FA would have a proper list on its website.

Arsenal : Little, Quantrill
Everton : Hinnigan
Chelsea :
Leeds :  Allen
Sunderland :
Doncaster : Weston
Blackburn
Millwall
Watford
Birmingham : Harrop
Nottingham
Bristol

Funnily enough, someone who could have been useful at left back is Georgie Giddings born in  1990.

Offline samtom

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Cresswell 1990-Forest Ladies.Played 2 games in last years Final Qualifying round.Giddings very good player.Playing in the Usa.

Sylvain

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I think one reason behind the relatively small pool of players who are deemed good enough to play for England is fitness.
From the U15 to the seniors, it is a prerequisite to be extremely fit. I would even bet, it is more proeminent than technical skills in the evaluation process. One girl who played in the Euro 2009 said the main difference between Germany and England was fitness.
This is right in the way that there is at least 10  times factor between the intensity of WPL game  and an international one. U19 Euro game is about 3 times the basic level, U20 4 times with Champions League games against German teams going to level 6 or 7. As long as technical skill is not a second class citizen, I believe this is the right way to have superfit players especially as England coaches don't seem to like rotating during tourneys.

Offline Eurycantha

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
I think one reason behind the relatively small pool of players who are deemed good enough to play for England is fitness.

Sylvain, I agree, but another point imho is:
link to www.fff.fr on Friday 11 September 2009, French U17 coach Paco Rubio:
http://www.fff.fr/selections/fem17ans/actualite/530405.shtml
Les 17 ans allemandes ont-elles le même profil de jeu que leurs aînées, sacrées hier en Finlande ?
"C'est pratiquement le même système de jeu, avec trois attaquantes, une "10" et deux "6". Les équipes allemandes ont peu de points faibles et les remplaçantes ont les mêmes qualités techniques et athlétiques que les titulaires.

From the U15 to the seniors, it is a prerequisite to be extremely fit. I would even bet, it is more proeminent than technical skills in the evaluation process. One girl who played in the Euro 2009 said the main difference between Germany and England was fitness.

That's not only the opinion of the abovementioned English U19 player, but also the opinion of among others Swiss U17 coach Walter Späni, Dutch U15, U16 and U17 coach Maria van Kortenhof, Dutch U19 coach Hesterine de Reus and Spanish U17 coach Vilda Sr

Another point might be as you wrote: "From the U15 to the seniors", Germany has started with her U15
in 2003 (winning a double match against the Netherlands with 6-0 and 1-0, in the German squad among
others today's German A-internationals Babett Peter and Fatmire Bajramaj); England has started her U15
in 2007  and France still doesnot have an U15. The German U15 has played over 30 international matches,
England U15 (as far as I know) just 10 matches, of which six against Germany
The results:
11-04-07   Buckinghamshire   England   England   Germany   0-0HT   0-2FT
13-04-07   Buckinghamshire   England   England   Germany   1-1HT   2-2FT

16-04-08   Bisham Abbey   England   England   Germany   0-1HT   1-4FT
18-04-08   Bisham Abbey   England   England   Germany   1-0HT   1-1FT

12-08-09   Worms   Germany   Germany   England   3-0HT   7-0FT
14-08-09   Ingelheim   Germany   Germany   England   3-0HT   5-1FT

Until today I have registered 11 European countries with an U15 (alphabetical): Belgium, Denmark, England,
Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Scotland, Sweden and Wales. Finland, France, Italy, Spain
and Switzerland among others still don't have an U15. Very recently Switzerland has decided to form an U16!

This is right in the way that there is at least 10  times factor between the intensity of WPL game  and an international one. U19 Euro game is about 3 times the basic level, U20 4 times with Champions League games against German teams going to level 6 or 7. As long as technical skill is not a second class citizen, I believe this is the right way to have superfit players especially as England coaches don't seem to like rotating during tourneys.

And I don't think that the English and French players during the WWC U20 in Germany were "superfit"!

One last point: the way of preparation to a WWC:
Germany U20 has played against Sweden U23 (2-1), England U23 (1-0), Norway U23 (0-0), USA U20 (1-1),
unfortunately not against England U20 in April 2010 due to the Icelandic vulcano, South Korea U20 (3-0),
USA U20 (3-1) and Japan U20 (1-2).

I can understand Jean-Michel Degrange saying: “The group is quite open, knowing that the best two team qualify for the quarter-finals. Nevertheless, I think Germany are a step in front of us, especially when I see their warm up program. Regarding the other two opponents, Costa Rica and Colombia, we do not have much information at the moment.  But in my opinion, these are teams we can beat."

The English and French U20 (and also the Swedish and Swiss U20) didnot play as many games as Germany
and I think that the English squad of these four still have had the most preparation time (in La Manga).

Swedish point of view after the Euros 2009 in Finland
link to www.svenskfotboll.se:
http://svenskfotboll.se/arkiv/kronikor/2009/en-kronika/
google translation:
My recipe for approaching Germany are :
1st Elite Bet in previous age ( in clubs ) . It is not ugly to want to be good , and better than their friends .
2nd Work out more in the earlier age .
3rd More caps for junior national teams .
4th Work out more in the top clubs ( and Ettan Damallsvenskan ) .
5th Send Damallsvenska coaches to study in Germany .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:09:51 PM by Eurycantha »

Sylvain

« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
I think it is also a question of numbers. We have about  50 000 players in France while it is more than a million in Germany. We can't really compete with those numbers. Changing the French mentality towards women football is a very long process even inside the FFF.

Offline Eurycantha

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
I think it is also a question of numbers. We have about  50 000 players in France while it is more than a million in Germany. We can't really compete with those numbers. Changing the French mentality towards women football is a very long process even inside the FFF.

I agree and therefor I think what Paco Rubio said is true: "Mais c'est assez logique avec dix fois plus de licenciées dans cette catégorie. Nous faisons de belles choses avec nos moyens. Nous nous rapprochons de l'Allemagne. Les filles ont de moins de moins peur de cette équipe et finiront par la battre."

Sylvain

From the FIFA technical report Germany 2010
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Outstanding players

• 4 MOORE Jade: good with the ball,
active in attack and defence, powerful,
plays with her head up
• 9 DUGGAN Toni: good with her back to
goal, aggressive and a winner

Key points:

• Basic formation 4-2-3-1
• Deep defensive block
• Attacks through the middle
• Well organised at set pieces (defending corner
kicks, free kicks, special throw-in routines)
• Dangerous at set pieces (attacking corner
kicks, free kicks, special throw-In routines)
• Long-range shots
• Strong, hard-working players

Interesting points. The whole report is there and as usual it is an excellent read.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/developing/technicaldevelopment/technicalwomenreport.html

Sylvain

« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »
U20 WC playing for the senior team

2002 Williams Bassett A Scott, capped but not in recent squad Champ Yorston Wright Mc Dougall Maggs Westwood Hickmott Asante total 10/18

2008 Houghton Rafferty Buet Bradley  Clarke capped but not in recent squad Dowie R Williams 8/21

2010 0/21 so far but some are likely for example Flaherty Duggan Carter or Bronze

Sylvain

Duo called up to England camp
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Sunderland forward Keira Ramshaw and winger Rebekah Bass have been selected for the forthcoming England Women’s U20 training camp.

The nineteen years olds will join up with the rest of the squad at St George’s Park from 11th – 12th December

Everyone at SAFC Ladies would like to wish Keira and Bekki the best of luck.

http://www.sunderlandwfc.co.uk/swfc_102.htm

So there is a U20 camp coming soon, 2014 World Cup  looming large.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Rebekah Bass is a strong player, but you have seen her play sylvain.

Sylvain

« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
Rebekah Bass is a strong player, but you have seen her play sylvain.
Probably once or twice. I don't remember her in the middle of though.

Sylvain

Mo Marley's U20 World Cup preparations under way
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »
Mo Marley has started preparations for the FIFA Women’s U20 World Cup by pulling together an England squad for a two-day training camp at St. George’s Park.

Her U19 side qualified for next year’s tournament by finishing runners-up in the Euros in the summer.

And Head Coach Marley has called upon nine of those players who helped the Young Lions win a silver medal, including the captain, Sherry McCue.

The U20 World Cup will take place in Canada between 5-24 August.

Before then, England will attempt to qualify for next year’s Euro Finals (15-27 July) and they will take on Finland, Denmark and Serbia in the Elite Qualifying Round next April, with the top-placed team in the group progressing.

Training camp squad:

Goalkeepers
Sophie Harris (Arsenal), Megan Walsh (Everton)
Defenders
Felicity Gibbons (Watford – on loan at Gillingham), Martha Harris (Notts County), Georgia Mays (Watford), Meaghan Sargeant (Notts County)
Midfielders
Sherry McCue (Aston Villa), Emily Roberts (Notts County), Jess Sigsworth (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Katie Wilkinson (Birmingham City)
Forwards
Freda Ayisi (Arsenal), Rebekah Bass (Sunderland), Hannah Blundell (Chelsea), Beth Donoghue (Liverpool), Beth England (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Melissa Lawley (Birmingham City), Nikita Parris (Everton), Keira Ramshaw (Sunderland)

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/u20s/2013/dec/training-camp-squad-st-georges-park-sherry-mccue-mo-marley

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
England squad named for Women's U20 World Cup
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Mo Marley has named her England squad for the FIFA Women’s U20 World Cup which will be staged in Canada in August.

Seventeen of the 21 players helped the Young Lions finish runners-up to France at last year’s U19s Euros, while Arsenal’s Leah Williamson and Everton’s Gabrielle George starred at the U17s Euros just before Christmas.

There is also room for Birmingham City forward Jess Carter and Aston Villa goalkeeper Caitlin Leach.

World Cup schedule

v South Korea, Wednesday 6 August
v Mexico, Saturday 9 August
v Nigeria, Wednesday 13 August

Every squad member has previously represented England at youth level and ten of them have featured in every League game for their club so far this season across FA WSL 1 and FA WSL 2.

England have been drawn in Group C alongside South Korea (who they will face on 6 August), Mexico (9 August) and Nigeria (13 August).

The last time England reached an U20 World Cup was in 2010, when they faced opposition from Mexico and Nigeria, and six members of that squad – Gemma Bonner, Lucy Bronze, Demi Stokes, Jade Moore, Jordan Nobbs and Toni Duggan – have since gone on to earn senior team recognition.

The seniors are next in action on Sunday 3 August, when they take on Sweden at Hartlepool United's Victoria Park. Tickets are priced at £5 for adults and £2.50 for concessions and can be purchased by calling 01429 272 584 (option 2) or via TheFA.com's ticketing page.

England's U20 World Cup squad in full

Goalkeepers
Lizzie Durack (Everton), Caitlin Leach (Aston Villa), Megan Walsh (Everton)

Defenders
Gabrielle George (Everton), Martha Harris (Liverpool), Aoife Mannion (Birmingham City), Meaghan Sargeant (Birmingham City), Ellie Stewart (Liverpool), Paige Williams (Everton)

Midfielders
Jade Bailey (Arsenal), Sherry McCue (Aston Villa), Jess Sigsworth (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Abbey-Leigh Stringer (Aston Villa), Leah Williamson (Arsenal), Katie Zelem (Liverpool)

Forwards
Hannah Blundell (Chelsea), Jess Carter (Birmingham City), Natasha Flint (Manchester City), Mel Lawley (Birmingham City), Beth Mead (Sunderland), Nikita Parris (Everton).

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/womens/u20s/2014/jul/fifa-world-cup-squad-canada