Author Topic: Hope delighted by Lions  (Read 1055 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hope delighted by Lions
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
After the disappointment of Sunday's 2-0 defeat to China, England's Women bounced back with two fine draws against the teams ranked first and second in the world.

At the beginning of the tournament England's players were unknown to chinese media and fans alike and at today's post match press conference after the 0-0 draw against Germany, all the questions were for Hope Powell.

"We've really enjoyed the experience of playing against some of the top sides in the world this week and Germany are undoubtedly the number one side" said Hope.

"Tactically we had to be on top of our game today and again all credit goes to the players as they did what was asked of them, and territorially had the better of the game.

"We know that the likes of Prinz, Rottenberg, Lingor and Garfrekes were missing but there were still some very experienced players on the German side today and we still looked very solid."

After the 5-1 defeat in Aalen back in October there were lessons clearly learnt but the impressive thing was how England took the game to the opposition from the first whistle.

"We came out again on the front foot as we did against the USA and although I'm not totally satisfied, psychologically the last two results have given everyone a big boost" Hope told TheFA.com.

"This tournament has been a massive learning curve and we can only improve as a result of what we've learnt.

"We want to be invited to many more of these tournaments as they are the perfect dress rehearsal for when the major championships come round and I think our players have really won over the local fans this week, something I hope will ensure we get plenty of support come the World Cup."

One of those who impressed the most was Kelly Smith who today covered every blade of grass.

"Kelly is a great player and the world hasn't seen what she can offer for so long as she's had such a string of bad injuries.

"All of our players have taken on a lot of information this week and acquitted themselves with professionalism.

"Kelly epitomises that with her workrate and willingness to close opponents down all over the park and hopefully the world will get to see what Kelly and our squad can do this September."

Germany's Head Coach Silvia Neid was full of praise for the England team that "player-for-player competed from first to last whistle."

Bemoaning the fact that her side had failed to find the goal in all three games, Neid told TheFA.com: "At the beginning of the week I said that performances were more important than results.

"We've created chances in all three games but none of our forwards have had the coolness to take them in front of goal, and this tournament has given us plenty to think about over the next seven and a half months."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/01/HopeReactionGermany.htm