Author Topic: England U-23s to meet Germany, USA, Norway next month  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Steven Angus

• View Profile
Re: England U-23s to meet Germany, USA, Norway next month
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »
 ::)  :o                                 
                              Norway 5 v 0 England

Has hoped for , England started with a similar team to that which beat the USA (Emma Thomas -out with an injury ?)
     Chalk and cheese is the difference between both teams earlier performances. Norway with a slow start to the tournement where on fire against an England side who started the tournement on fire and ended it in a wash out.
  Norway went through the Englands midfield and defence like a hot knive through butter, far to much possesion was lost in midfield putting the defence under siege, When they to often tried to dribble instead of pass the ball. In complete contrast to the fantastic football against the USA could England not string two passes together.
   Englands attack consisted of 1/2 single crosses into the box where a single header of Becky hit the bar, .
   England where not in the Norwegian half more than 6/7 times as the Norwegians hit top gear and England did,t get out of first gear , a surprisingly easy and deserved victory for the Norwegians.
Ball possesion must have been 80% - 20% to the Norwegians
  I,m sure the girls will reflect on the game and put this heavy defeat behind them.
England have shown over the whole tournement they can compete with the best , so everything is not black for the future , a long way from it. (Invaluble experience)  8)
    This tournement has shown that it one thing to reach a high standard (against USA-the first game) and another to maintain that standard consistently ,(against Norway- the last game) focus and concentration all the time , not just some of the time.
The signs of lack of consistency already began to show them selves against the Germans, the game in the middle.

steven
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:29:22 AM by Steven Angus »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Under-23 table from La Manga
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »
Feb 11
Germany 1 Norway 0
England 3 USA 1

Feb 13
USA 2 Norway 0
Germany 2 England 1

Feb 15
Norway 5 England 0
USA 1 Germany 1

Under-23 Four Nations Tournament La Manga Feb. 2008
                 P    W    L    D    F    A    P
Germany      3    2    0    1    4    2    7
USA            3    1    1    1    4    4    4
Norway        3    1    2    0    5    3    3
England       3    1    2    0    4    8    3
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:33:30 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

shlj

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
Well at least they won a game but table position is consistent with the U20 tournament :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »
hi shlj what struck me was how even the results are.  England were in there with, for example, three of the top four nations from last year's World Cup (admittedly not a u-23 competition).  On that basis you would expect the England u-23s on paper to have finished in 4th place last week, but they were behind Norway only on goal difference, and the USA is in 2nd place because they got one more point. 
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Steven Angus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:01 AM »
Post script:   to the U23,s la manga tour.

I,m a little bit surprised no one has much to add to Englands defeat to Norway, firstly because it is intresting and analysing a defeat helps to let everyone know where they can improve the next time. I know the headline is not so pretty to look at on the FA,s website, as a narrow defeat to Germany or a fantastic win over the USA,.(especially when they don,t update to often).
   It has been a very intresting experience for Rebecca Angus and the other girls where they have played against some of the potential best teams in the world and come out of this experience with maybe a little bit higher profil and respect  than when they went into this tournement.
As Rebeccas father of course i want to see her and England thrive, and i think Womens football has a unique chance and great opportunity of getting of the ground in a big way, the more enthusiastic people involved the better and this comes with being regularly informed , maybe even with more personal thoughts from people in higher positions.
   Between father and daughter i thought it was intresting that Rebecca was dissapointed Dunia Susi (Chelsea) did not play in the last game , when she teamed up with her so well in the USA game and gave Rebecca some help up front, . Rebecca was also impressed with Michelle Hickmott (Birmingham) as a player
In defence.
   Personally i believe every good team starts with a good solid defence but i would like to have seen a more aggressiv formation than 4-5-1 especially when we where 3-0 down in the first half to Norway, we had nothing to lose (just the game)
  I know Rebecca had the dubiouse honour of taking home the Norway team pendant , when she would have liked the one against the USA. (It,s not everyday you score your first international goal for your country.) But all in all it was an experience with participation in three internationals for her country.
   Another intresting ( i think) view was that dicipline in the troop was excersied on and of the pitch nearly all the time with her tour to la Manga U23,s whilst her trip to La Manga the month before with Englands first team training was equally constructive and intense ,but more relaxed.
Like all the other hopefull potential England stars in the making , everyone hoped to have made a positiv impression and everyone had a one to one with Brent Hills at the end of the ture, .
  Rebecca feels she has done enough to make a posotiv impression  , but was left perplexed by Brents doubt about Rebeccas condition ? Rebeccas condition she feels her self, is totally at the top , especially after her posotiv training with the England first squad the month before and the training before and inbetween the two La Manga tours.
   Even though she doesn,t really understand it she has promised to intensify her training program, so soon we won,t just see super fit Becky we will see super duper fit Becky... she takes everything positivly
                          mvh  Steven

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:01:41 PM by Steven Angus »

shlj

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2008, 04:06:16 AM »
   Personally i believe every good team starts with a good solid defence but i would like to have seen a more aggressiv formation than 4-5-1 especially when we where 3-0 down in the first half to Norway, we had nothing to lose (just the game)

Another intresting ( i think) view was that dicipline in the troop was excersied on and of the pitch nearly all the time with her tour to la Manga U23,s whilst her trip to La Manga the month before with Englands first team training was equally constructive and intense ,but more relaxed.                         

I think they stayed in 4-5-1 because it's the usual tactic the senior and the coaching staff seems to like it. Also if the wingers play a little higher on the pitch and the whole team follows and stay compact it becomes a 4-3-3 with plenty of support for the center forward.

Being defensive minded is what is associated with the current England staff anyway, the U19 final against Germany this summer in another example and I know that they do a lot of it in the U17 set-up as well which is fair enough at that level. I think having a good defensive block is a basic of any football team but not at the detriment of creativity and attacking.

Regarding the relaxing or not atmosphere I have see a few pictures and the girls seemed to enjoy themselves and have fun. It's a shame if discipline was maintained at highest level all the time

cardy

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
News of another under 23s camp and in march or april.  Includes friendly against US team too.  Anyone know anymore?

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »
OK well I am sure the FA knows something but as usual they aren't telling any possible supporters about it.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline sleepysara13

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »
YEAH GAWD AM TRY REMEMBER WHEN THEY GO NOW
think its next sunday but a could be wrong
steph houghton n katie holtham from leeds going
am trying hard think what was told

shlj

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
hi shlj what struck me was how even the results are.  England were in there with, for example, three of the top four nations from last year's World Cup (admittedly not a u-23 competition).  On that basis you would expect the England u-23s on paper to have finished in 4th place last week, but they were behind Norway only on goal difference, and the USA is in 2nd place because they got one more point. 
Even if those results  were not the best at least it is an encouraging sign that there is a potential for a good future for England at senior level in the next 3 to 5 years.
The number of talented players is growing.
Also the WPS could have a very positive effect and allow the best youngsters to develop quickly from 2009
and maybe try to win the WC in 2011. Bearing in mind playing a defensive based counter attacking 4-5-1
is not likely to be succesful except if you have an exceptional defensive 6 plus a world class goalie.