Author Topic: Footballer left ‘gutted’ after kits stolen  (Read 1373 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Footballer left ‘gutted’ after kits stolen
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »
A LADIES football team has been left with no kits after falling victim to thieves.

The home and away strips for the Dinas Powys Ladies team were left in the boot of player Rachel Jones’ car.

Her mother, Elaine, had washed the strips following the team’s game on December 22 against Merthyr Tydfil.

But the 22-year-old’s car – registration Y36 MDW – was stolen from outside her house on Ball Road, Llanrumney, Cardiff, on New Year’s Eve, with all the kits inside.

“She’s absolutely gutted,” said Elaine. “She had the two kits in there as I do the washing for them. I feel so guilty as I told her to put them in her boot so they were out of the way for Christmas.”

Rachel had parked her blue Peugeot 206, but when she returned shortly afterwards it had gone.

“I was only in the house for about 20 minutes, I’d locked the car – I’ve still got the keys,” said Rachel, who works for Biffa Waste, Viking Place, Cardiff.

“When I came back it was gone. I was going away this weekend and was giving the kits which have 13 tops each, to a friend to take, but now I don’t know what they are going to do for their game on Sunday, they may have to borrow the men’s team’s shirts.

“All the team are disappointed – we had only just bought the new kits, which cost us £500 which we raised through fancy dress nights.”

Elaine, said: “If someone who has the kits or knows where they are can they please leave them somewhere for us to get back then the team can play on Sunday.”

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/2008/01/03/footballer-left-gutted-after-kits-stolen-91466-20308837/

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Footballer left ‘gutted’ after kits stolen
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
Ladies get kitted out

A LADIES football team has been given money for a new kit after theirs was stolen.

The Dinas Powys team had fundraised for four months to raise the cash for their strip and had only worn it twice when the kit was taken, as reported in the Echo.

Both the home and away kits had been left in the boot of player Rachel Jones’ car on New Year’s Eve when she took them home to Llanrumney, Cardiff, to wash.

But after appealing in the Echo last week for the kit to be returned, a generous donor has stepped forward and to buy replacements.

Not only is HKC Estates and Lettings, based in Barry and Heath, Cardiff, giving the team £500 for the kit – it will also sponsor them for the next three years.

Club manager Lee Saunders said the girls were thrilled by the offer.

He said: “It’s an absolute lifesaver for us. To have our kit stolen was just heartbreaking.

“We didn’t have a kit to play in on Sunday but fortunately the game was postponed at the last minute.

“We are sharing a kit with the under 17 team at the moment. They wear it on Saturday then it’s got to be washed and ready for us on the Sunday. We can’t do that every week, especially if we’re playing away games. Our new kit should be ready by the first week in February. After the start to the year we’ve had, it’s turned around so fast.”

The new kit will be a silver top, with black shorts and socks.

Rhian Watcyn Taylor, director of HKC Estates and Lettings, said: “When we saw the story in the Echo, we thought it was really unfortunate and we felt sorry for the squad after all their hard work. We will be supporting them and hope to go down and see them playing too.”

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/2008/01/11/ladies-get-kitted-out-91466-20337331/