Author Topic: Casey Stoney  (Read 13831 times)

shlj

Re: Casey Stoney
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
Maybe someone should ask Hop Powell about that.
I read the fairgame article about her and I have a lot of respect for the dedication she puts in her training, she does work hard to prepare properly for England.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:55 PM »
Yes - that was a very interesting article  :)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »
As posted on the Chelsea links:-

Steve Jones has stepped down as manager of Chelsea Ladies.

Captain Casey Stoney will take charge as player/manager until the end of the season, with Peter Steward continuing as assistant manager.

Jones said that increased work commitments meant that he couldn't offer the club as much time and attention as he would have liked.

Ladies director of football Shaun Gore said: 'Steve has taken Chelsea Ladies forward to become one of the top three teams in the country and for this we thank him and wish him well for the future.

'I have no doubt that Casey will be a fantastic appointment. She brings with her a vast experience of the women's game and is highly ambitious and extremely focused.'

'Obviously it's a real shame that Steve couldn't continue and I'd like to thank him for all the work he has done.' said Stoney. 'We now need to build on his great work starting with the FA Cup game against Lincoln tomorrow. It's a great honour to be asked to take over.'

Stoney signed from Charlton in 2007 and is an established international player having represented England at every level.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LadiesNews/0,,10268~1565743,00.html

shlj

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »
Her interview is good on the fa.com, she comes as very articulate and knowledgeable about her stuff.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
Stoney's final ambition
by Tony Leighton
Monday, 09 March 2009.

England v Scotland
Cyprus Cup
International Friendly Tournament
Tuesday 10 March 2009
Larnaca, Cyprus

England will reach the final of the Cyprus Cup if they beat Scotland by a big enough margin in their final group game on Tuesday.

So a convincing victory will be the aim, says Chelsea defender Casey Stoney who captained the side in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with France.

"It will be a tough game against the Scots," said Stoney, "it always is because it’s a local derby and they’re always up for it just as much as we are.

"So we won’t go out thinking about how many goals we can score, we’ll concentrate on winning the game first and then hopefully we can get the goals we need.

"If we do win then the group will probably be decided on goal difference because France should beat South Africa – but hopefully their goal difference won’t be as good as ours."

England head into the last round of Group A games level on points with France but leading the group on goal difference – 8-2 compared to France’s 4-2.

While Hope Powell’s team are facing Scotland the French will be taking on South Africa, beaten 6-0 by England but 2-0 winners against Scotland on Saturday.

The situation would be more clear-cut if England had beaten France, which Stoney believes should have happened despite having to twice come from behind.

"We could and should have won," said the left back, who hit the second equaliser. "We didn’t believe in ourselves enough in the first half," she added.

"We showed them too much respect and didn’t play our own game until after half-time, but then we took the game to them and were by far the better side.

"The performance showed we’ve moved on as a team, though – France might be higher-ranked than us, but we know we can out-play them now.

"What we’ve got to do in future is take our chances and make sure we finish teams off – starting with Scotland on Tuesday."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/03/CyprusCup_Scotland_CaseyStoney.htm

shlj

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
I don't agree at all with her, france should have won  ;D

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:05 PM »
I don't agree at all with her, france should have won  ;D

No bias there mate?  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
It will be a battle - Casey
Women's Football News
21 March 2009

Casey Stoney will lead her side out at the Stadium of Light when Chelsea take on Sunderland in the semi finals of the F.A.Women's Cup and a victory for the England defender would be an extra special one.

The 26-year-old is taking on a new challenge in her career as she is now the club's player manager and her appointment sparked off a remarkable month for her. "It's been quite an eventful month!" she laughed when speaking to Women's Soccer Scene. "I was told on the Friday night before we played OOH Lincoln in the quarter finals that I would be in charge so things were a little bit hectic for me. We were one down after a few minutes because of an individual error, then 2-1 up and we had a player sent off and you start to think, 'here we go.' But we actually played better with ten players and went on to win the game, and that is the spirit we need for the game against Sunderland."

Casey then joined up with the England squad for the Cyprus Cup, a tournament which saw her captain her country in the match against France and she marked the occasion by scoring the equalising goal to give her side a 2-2 draw, and she finished the tournament with a winner's medal as England beat Canada 3-1 in the Final. "When I went away with England, I was strictly a player and nothing else," she says. "I didn't seek Hope Powell for any advice, nor anybody else, I was purely concentrating on myself being a part of the team and the squad.

"I am trying to take everything in my stride right now - firstly I am a player and then a manager. There is a lot more pressure and I seem to be constantly on the phone but I am doing the best I can to get the team as prepared as possible for each game. When I am on the pitch, I have to concentrate on my game and I know I have Pete Steward on the bench to assist me.

"I have always wanted to stay in the game after playing and maybe to be a manager, but it has come more suddenly than I thought it would."

On returning, Casey led Chelsea to a 2-1 victory against Bristol Academy to help keep the Blues in third place. "We have lost Eniola Aluko and Anita Asante to America and we are trying to replace them," she admits. "It was a tough game and it wasn't the best of pitches to be honest, but it was a very good result for us. Sometimes we have come unstuck against Bristol Academy and they had got back into the game, but it was a good goal from Lianne (Sanderson) - when you have a player like that in your side you have got a chance because she is a match winner."

Now Chelsea travel to the North East for the opportunity to reach the F.A.Women's Cup Final for the first time in their history. "We've been busy preparing for this," says Casey. "It's been a little difficult as Eni and Anita have gone but these things happen. We have got the best reserve team in the country and it is a chance for them to step up and win a place.

"We shall be going into the game as favourites because of our higher status, so we know the expectation levels and that the pressure is on us. We know it will be a battle and a tough test but I am confident in the ability of our players.

"Sunderland have had some good results and are the favourites to go up from the Northern Division. We are aware of their strengths and weaknesses and know that nothing less than a fantastic performance will see us through."

The occasion will be extra special as it will be played at the Stadium of Light, giving an opportunity to play on a Premiership ground. "We really appreciate that Sunderland have given us the opportunity to play there," Casey says. "It's a lovely stadium and a great pitch, so the girls are really looking forward to that. Hopefully it will attract a big crowd and generate a good atmosphere.

"We have got to cement ourselves in third place in the league and now we have the chance to go for a place in a Cup Final, which the club has never done before. If we can secure our highest ever finish and get some silverware, it would be a great season."

http://www.womenssoccerscene.co.uk/090321-06.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:21:57 PM by redrobin »

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 11:42:59 PM »
Her interview is good on the fa.com, she comes as very articulate and knowledgeable about her stuff.

possible future England manager? Kelly Smith sure thinks so, "Kelly says: Probably a future England manager."

taken from Guardian profile of the current England team: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1211851/Kellys-heroes-Meet-English-women-game-glory-European-Championships.html

leanne

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »
Does anyone know if casey will be managing chelsea next season ?

shlj

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
She is managing right now

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
I think her best position is center back but she is proficient enough to play right back and left back, but she is a bit slow for a full back.

and yet she took Unitts' position at left back in the England squad :o

I think both players could get done for pace...Unitt used to be a forward but moved back into defence due to her pace or the lack of it rather...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

shlj

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
I think her best position is center back but she is proficient enough to play right back and left back, but she is a bit slow for a full back.

and yet she took Unitts' position at left back in the England squad :o

I think both players could get done for pace...Unitt used to be a forward but moved back into defence due to her pace or the lack of it rather...

You are right both are a bit slow and cannot really provide the up and down runs needed in those position.

Sylvain

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
Another great piece of coaching today for Casey. I have a lot of respect for her coaching style and method
I was at Chelsea academy vs Arsenal Academy game and there were a few incident involving some Arsenal and Chelsea players off the ball behind the referees back.  She told one of her player to calm down, she didn't listen and started aggro again a few minutes later. Casey simply removed the player from the pitch.
Sometimes coaches forget that they are also educators but she did the right thing to teach an important lesson to the player. Chelsea finished the game with 10 players.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
Casey Stoney
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
Casey Stoney is about to sign for Lincoln after leaving Chelsea. The Blues skipper initially turned down a move to the Lady Imps doubting that the newcomers to the top division of women's football could attract star names. With that fear now allayed, Stoney decided on the move during the recent Cyprus Cup.

Remember folks! You heard it here first!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:21:25 PM by idh1 »