Author Topic: Three Damallsvenskan players in FIFA World Stars Team  (Read 1317 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Three Damallsvenskan players in FIFA World Stars Team
« on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:21 PM »
Three current Damallsvenskan players and another two with a history in the league got picked for FIFA's World Star Team, that will play China in an exibition match to celebrate the final draw for the FIFA Women's World Cup 2007 in Wuhan (China) on 22 April. Lotta Schelin (Kopparbergs/Göteborg), Bente Nordby (Djurgården/Älvsjö) and Marta (Brazil) are the current players while Kristine Lilly (Kif Örebro 2005) and Katrine Pedersen (Djurgården/Älvsjö 2006) have been playing in the league.
There will be a scheduling problem for the Damallsvenskan trio. Marta plays the UEFA Women's Cup final on the 21st and has a Damallsvenskan match on the 25th followed by the return leg of the UEFA Cup final the 29th. Umeå's manager Roland Arnqvist commented the news with a "Yeah, good luck trying to get her to China for the game" and I think it is pretty obvious that Marta, no matter the honour of being chosen for a World Star team, would rather play the Arsenal matches.
Bente Nordby and Lotta Schelin has Damallsvenskan games scheduled for the same day as the FIFA match. They are both essential players (to put it mildly) for their teams and I wouldn't let them go. But I'm not running their clubs.

http://dandal.webblogg.se/

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Re: Three Damallsvenskan players in FIFA World Stars Team
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »
I find all this a little bit strange. I wasn't sure from the original FIFA press release whether the 'Dream Team' were all certainties to attend or whether it was just an aspiration. Obviously it had been put together to include a representative from each nation and was not really the best team in the world. It seems bizarre that they should release such a report without having first checked with the players and clubs, as this report from Sweden seems to suggest.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »
There is an article on the NFF's (Norwegian FA) website about Bente Nordby's nomination to the World Stars Team.

Briefly, in the article Bente acknowledges that the fixture clashes with her club commitments so she does not yet know if she will be able to participate yet. So it does indeed seem that the list was released without full confirmation of players' availability. Surely they should have got confirmation before the press release.

Bente also mentions in the article that it is a long way to travel but it would be fun to play on the same team as some of the World's best players.

The link can be found at:

http://www.fotball.no/t1.aspx?p=51831&x=1&a=188847

I wonder if Rachel Brown will be clear to attend? It will be a fantastic experience for her. I hope Bente will be able to cope with being left on the bench  ;) Tongue firmly in cheek.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
It is a long way for one game but I know that players often like these kinds of games and it's nice to get picked I suppose ! I know that Sue Smith played in something similar once and said it was a great experience...Mentions it on her website I think....