Author Topic: Rachel Unitt  (Read 37935 times)

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Re: Rachel Unitt
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
Stensland choosed Göteborg since she was afraid to fly  :D so who knows what their excuses might be. Maybe they like it at home too.

I think there was more to it than a flying phobia. It is right for players and indeed anybody else with an employment situation to consider the whole environment. There would be little point in her going to UIK to be unsettled which could have consequences for her form.

From what has been said on a fansite of MFF, Rachel was permitted to sign for MFF, only because Powell wanted to have her close.

I wouldn't take too much notice of some of the "rubbish" written on message boards.  :D I think at the end of the day with this only Rachel herself will know the full reasons for her not going, and we will just have to respect her decision.

but will it help Rachel's development to play in a league with only one good team?

LOL Westy! You certainly know the art of flattery.  ;)

I think it is unfair to suggest that she cannot develop in the U.K. I do agree that it is not healthy for a number of reasons to have one side that is significantly stronger than the others. But it is difficult to stop this from happening and indeed many leagues "tail off" with regards to quality at some point. Maybe some of the other teams are good, but Arsenal are exceptional.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »
I think that since Rachel has had some injury problems she is not sure if she will get to play in the nat.team. So not to make Hope upset and disturb her plans, she didn't have the guts to sign for Malmö.
The swedish season starts in april and runs to october, with a summer break in july. Players like Marta have an "artist" contract, they are signed for a limited time, so they won't have to pay that much tax and stuff. My guess is that it would have been the same for Rachel, unless MFF wanted her for the whole season.

This is a bit old hat now.  At the time Malmo were being considered (Dec 05) she was injury free.  A message from her that was posted up on the Unitt.net site (which I can't find so I can't quote it).  It said basically that she went to Malmo to talk things over with them but decided not to go as she didn't want to burn herself out.  She also mentioned that she had a bad reaction to playing in the US and didn't feel very well took a while to get back to her best and didn't want a similar situation to develope before the WC Qualifiers.  This site is the first mention anywhere that Hope Powell had any imput into and I'm not sure that she did.  Ironically Rachel has just come back from injury picked up in the final World Cup qualifier which is now refered to as the 'France foot'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:07:27 PM by toad »

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »
Thanks for posting that Toad. Not everyone drops by the Unitt.net site so that provides some clarification.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
Just to well and truly finish the MFF move discussion off. There was a link on the Damallsvenksan Newsblog to Unitt.net where Rachel (as mentioned by Toad) informed her fans:

"Anyway, have not been up to much apart from training... great life… Went over to Sweden to look at Malmo. It was nice out there, girls were cool, coach and manager were cool too, it would have been nice to have gone as it's the best league in the world, playing against some ace players.

I was worried about burning myself out more than anything though, as last year I played 50 games, only had a week off between July 2004 and August 2005, I felt so crappy and it killed me mentally, took me a good 3 months to feel fit and healthy again!
So if I was to have gone out to Sweden, I'd of played around 18 games for them and in total it would be around 65-70 for the year, so decided to stay at home... As well as that we have a very busy schedule internationally...
I think eventually I'll go and have a year or 2 out there!!! "

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 12:42:13 PM »
SKIPPER Curtis Davies took time out from his injury rehab to throw his weight behind a Baggies-backed community football programme.

Davies, sidelined for the rest of the season with a broken metatarsal, was joined at Ryders Green Primary School, Greets Green, by FA Director of Football Development Sir Trevor Brooking, FA Racial Equality Project Manager and ex-Albion full-back Brendon Batson, and England Women's star Rachel Unitt.

The FA Hat-Trick regeneration programme is a three-year scheme that has seen the appointment of 19 community football workers around the country thanks to £4.5million worth of funding from UEFA and the Government.

Their role is to provide football opportunities for seven-to-16-year-olds in communities that suffer from multiple deprivation.

The project is delivered in Greets Green thanks to a partnership between the FA, Albion's Community Programme and the Greets Green Partnership.

Led by Albion's Football Development Officer, Russel Smith, the Greets Green Hat-Trick project has been a huge success over the past 18 months, with over 1,500 youngsters taking part in football.

Also, in the last year, around 300 teenagers have attended Albion matches for the first time while pupils have enjoyed regular visits from Baggies players like Davies and top scorer Diomansy Kamara.

Smith said: "Hat-trick's success has been achieved by the project working closely with the area and its partners."

Davies is delighted so many West Bromwich youngsters are being given the chance to play the game.

And he is keeping his fingers crossed some of them follow in his footsteps by signing pro contracts at The Hawthorns.

"If you get footballers at a young age who can make a mark for themselves, they will be spotted and their talent can develop," said the England Under-21 international.

"Hopefully, these kids could be bright stars of the future.

"Perhaps we ought to get their names now because we might be asking for their autographs in years to come!"

Abdur Obeed is a local teenager who got involved in the Greets Green project.

He said: "I was working at a local community centre and always thought coaching would be boring.

"But when I attended my first session, I saw the enjoyment the young kids got from having someone showing interest in them - and I was hooked!

"We're giving young children locally something we never had ourselves.

"As well as keeping them fit, we're giving them opportunities to make new friends and meet new people from other schools."

Brooking claims it is imperative youngsters are given opportunities to play football.

"Sometimes, everyone focuses on the professional game, the success of the Premier League or the national team, and that grabs the headlines," he said.

"But anyone who is lucky enough to have worked their way up to that level understands the starting point and the key years are between five and 11.

"The whole football system is a pyramid. To improve it, we feel we have to strengthen the base of the pyramid so that more youngsters come into the sport at a young age."

Batson also believes it's important youngsters from all backgrounds are encouraged to get involved in football.

"Football is open for all," he said.

"I started in the mid-60s when there were hardly any black players around. We came through in big numbers and now it's no big thing.

"But there is still an issue with the Asian players. There has to be a meeting of minds from both sides but I don't think there are any barriers that cannot be overcome."

For more information about the Hat-Trick project, contact Russel Smith on 08700 662 840.

http://www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/communityfansdetail/0,,10366~1013956,00.html

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »
Unitt inspires young girls

England and Everton's Rachel Unitt dropped in to a two day girls festival in Derbyshire last week, encouraging young girls to get involved in the game.

The event at Aldercar Community Language College in Langley Mill was organised by the College’s Assistant Principal and School Sport Co-ordinator Kathy Hardy, in partnership with Derbyshire County FA.

Over thirty girls participated in the event that involved football coaching delivered by FA qualified coaches from Derby County FC Football in the Community Scheme and Lane 1 Coaching, with girls being signposted to local FA Charter Standard girls team, GFC Codnor.

Participants also took part in various discussion workshops and looked at the importance of healthy eating, diet, nutrition and hydration when playing football and also personal safety.

The second day saw Rachel make a special visit and she spent the afternoon answering a wide range of questions, while the girls listened intently to the advice that Rachel offered to them.

Rachel then got writers cramp signing posters, cards, shirts before posing for photos and presenting them with certificates and giveaways at the end of the event.

Keely Brown, Girls and Women’s Football Development Officer for Derbyshire County FA told TheFA.com: “This event was another great example of successful partnership working in Derbyshire and the attendance of Rachel was the perfect way to end the course.

"The girls were delighted to meet a Women’s International player. I would like to thank Kathy at the College for her hard work in ensuring the event was so successful and Rachel for again taking the time to support girls’ football in Derbyshire”.

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/GettingInvolved/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/06/Unitt_inspires_youth.htm

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »
First Kelly Smith's website seems to bite the dust and now Rachel's too ! Not sure how long it's been down....

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
First Kelly Smith's website seems to bite the dust and now Rachel's too ! Not sure how long it's been down....

It was redesigned a few months ago and left in a state of semi-completion.  It also hadn't been updated since April so it doesn't make that much difference if it's gone altogether.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:55 PM »
She's still advertising it on her Myspace so maybe it's just a temporary glitch....I would have thought she would remove it if it was down for a while for some reason...

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
Well we'll see. It takes Unitt ages to do anything so it could be down for a while before she removes the link.  But maybe they are working on it and it will come back soon with new features, certainly needs them...

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »
The Unitt official website appears to be back in yet another new guise.....

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
Hooray that Rach scored on Sunday.  Hopefully she'll put behind her the disappointment of not playing in the World Cup behind her and has a good season. 

It was quite bizarre that she didn't get on.  In Fg it was suggested that she had a loss in confidence but it did seem strange that Unitt should be picked for the squad if she has confidence issues. Having seen her play in the UEFA Cup less than a month before the World Cup was due to be played I saw no evidence of this.

Rachel played well in all the games scoring in the first match against Gintras setting up goals in the other games and coming really close to adding to her own tally. She even won player of the match in Zulwich game. This is someone with confidence issues I think not. Indeed I wonder how Hope Powell arrived at this assessment.

I hope she does well in the up coming UEFA games and makes Hope Powell's decision look silly....

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
Can't understand why Hope couldn't at least have brought her on with Sanderson in the U.S.A. quarter final

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
Can't understand why Hope couldn't at least have brought her on with Sanderson in the U.S.A. quarter final

Maybe thought if she brought Rach on in the US game and she set up a goal or even scored one, people would be asking why wasn't she on from the start, probably wanted to avoid that....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 10:45:31 PM »
Rach has one of her World Cup shirts for sale on Ebay if you're interested -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130160994426&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

shlj

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »
60 pounds already for a shirt never used ! I bet it will go ober 100 pounds

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
Rach has one of her World Cup shirts for sale on Ebay if you're interested -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130160994426&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

Ha that's brilliant.  The perfect responce to being left out of the World Cup.  Wonder if Hope Powell was expecting her to do a 'Hope Solo' so she can have an excuse to drop her altogther?  Well no luck luvvy....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »
Now over ninety quid for the Unitt World Cup shirt

footiechick

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:30 PM »
Wish i had that kind of money to bid  :o

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 11:55:08 AM »
I put a couple of bids in just for a laugh, it's over a 100 smackers now and could go really high...