Author Topic: Rachel Unitt  (Read 43348 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rachel Unitt
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:49:38 AM »
Better get the obligatory Rachel Unitt thread started ! :) England and Everton left back and scorer of occassional headers.

Her official site can be found here:-

http://www.rachel-unitt.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:03:55 PM by David »

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
Re: Rachel Unitt
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:10:46 PM »
Rachel has a myspace profile that she has kindly said that we can link to. You can find it here:-

http://www.myspace.com/rach_unitt

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »
Here is a link to an interview that Rachel did for BBC Dorset:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/articles/2006/09/12/junior_football_rachel_unitt_feature.shtml

It is nice to see something that focuses on her football, which obviously means a lot to her. I think that both of the regional BBC interviews of the two Rachels have been excellent.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
More good finds Billyboy. Thanks for sharing :)

Hopefully we will start to see these kinds of items graduate from the regional BBC to the national media sometime soon....the World Cup should be a big help fingers crossed  :D

Offline xena

• View Profile
    • Everton Ladies Fans
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
I am a fan of Rach and have a Yahoo site for her, she does read messages and replies to them so go check it out if like.

Xena xx

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rachel_Unitt/join

This picture was taken at the aftermatch party in France 06

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:09:47 AM by xena »
Everton Ladies Fans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Sportlobster

"Once a blue, always a blue"

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »
Hi Xena ! Nice to see you here  :)

Thanks for letting us know about your Yahoo group for Rach..I haven't seen that before so I'll go and have a look and I'm sure other members will too !

There is also a links directory on the site (on the menu to the right of the link to my women's football blog ) so I will add it to that if you don't mind ?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »
Some of you might not have seen Martyn's Rachel Unitt fansite which is worth checking out. You can find it here -

www.rachel-unitt.net

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:53:06 AM »
ENGLAND women's international Rachel Unitt was on hand to present the trophies at a Pershore High School five-a-side tournament.

The competition was organised by the school and the Worcestershire Football Association for Year Five and Six pupils from schools in Pershore and Evesham.

Seven schools took part in the event and Bredon Hill Middle School came out on top, landing both the girls' and boys' trophies.

WFA girls and women's football development officer Marieanne Spacey, a former England international, helped organise the day along with county development manager Andy Norman.

Pershore High School headteacher Clive Corbett said: "Everyone associated with Pershore High School was delighted to see our top quality football surface being used by youngsters from the Evesham and Pershore area.

"Obviously we hope that they will be able to come back and use the facility again in the future.

"I am very grateful to our PE teacher Paul Watson and our Year 10 pupils who gave up their time to help organise the day.

"In addition to that, we are very grateful to the WFA for their support as well as bringing along England international Rachel to present the trophies at the end of what was a very successful day."

http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/sport/ejsportroundup/display.var.1168677.0.bredon_hill_land_a_soccer_double.php

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 03:19:29 PM »
Looks like Rachel's official website has had a bit of a make over..... :D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »
Some rachel pics from the FA Cup quater final...

Rachel Unitt in Sundays match

Rachel attacks the ball

A Rachel throw in

Rachel clears a ball forward while Woody looks on

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 10:08:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing Toad...Welcome to the forum ! :)

Offline Agent Westberg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 01:00:50 PM »
Great photos toad! Anyone have any thoughts about why Powell denied Rachel to go and play in sweden?  ???

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »
I think it was because she wanted her fresh for the remaining qualifers.  The Swedish season starts in Feb and runs through till October so she would have played two seasons effectivally when the qualifers started up in Aug and the chances of her being jaded would have been high.  Also less travel etc...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:06:16 PM »
Just to add to that, I don't think Hope Powell could actually deny anybody the right to go and play in Sweden if they really wanted to. But obviously this could lead to conflicts over the players availability etc.

As Toad says  :), I think it would have been too much continous football for anybody.

Offline Agent Westberg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »
I think that since Rachel has had some injury problems she is not sure if she will get to play in the nat.team. So not to make Hope upset and disturb her plans, she didn't have the guts to sign for Malmö.
The swedish season starts in april and runs to october, with a summer break in july. Players like Marta have an "artist" contract, they are signed for a limited time, so they won't have to pay that much tax and stuff. My guess is that it would have been the same for Rachel, unless MFF wanted her for the whole season.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 09:46:25 PM »
Just to add one more thing  :), I would suspect, without becoming "dreamy eyed", that participating on the national team would be a massive part of any English lady player's career. So I can understand why they would not want to jeopardise that in any way.

Just to drift slightly away from Rachel, didn't Trine Rønning from Kolbotn give a similar reason for not joining Linköpings FC, as she was concerned it may adversely affect her national team prospects.

Offline Agent Westberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
Yes Trine seemed to have those concerns too. Weird since I think she has nothing to worry about. She said LFC was welcome to contact her again, after this season.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 04:08:03 PM »
She said LFC was welcome to contact her again, after this season.

Do you think they will? I would assume that with potential Olympic participation in 2008 and Euro2009 these national team commitments "excuse" could be used quite a lot.

Maybe the explanation is much more simple but does not sound as good.

Offline Agent Westberg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 02:55:30 PM »
If norway qualifies for the oly's next year then it might be used as an excuse again, but hopefully sweden will grab that spot!  ;D
Stensland choosed Göteborg since she was afraid to fly  :D so who knows what their excuses might be. Maybe they like it at home too. LFC are in the position of being able to buy pretty much any player they want, so I don't think it's for financial reasons.

From what has been said on a fansite of MFF, Rachel was permitted to sign for MFF, only because Powell wanted to have her close. Maybe it is the greatest there can be, to be in the nat.team, but will it help Rachel's development to play in a league with only one good team?