Author Topic: Girls A-League 'Spectacular'  (Read 760 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Girls A-League 'Spectacular'
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: The Women's A-League challenge kicks off this Sunday and Matildas' World Cup star Cheryl Salisbury predicts A-League fans will be drawn to the female approach to football.

“A lot of people tell me they are sick of seeing players play-acting in the men's game – you don't get that with us women,” Salisbury told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“And fans will get to see the likes of Lisa De Vanna close up for the first time since the World Cup. I really hope she is on my side. She is so quick, she's a nightmare to defend against.”

The upcoming Women’s A-League Challenge will see Australia ’s finest female football talent – including many of our World Cup stars - pitted against one another prior to A-League matches over the next four weeks.

As well as Salisbury and the livewire De Vanna, midfield superstars Collette McCallum and Heather Garriock are also expected to be on show. However, Thea Slatyer is still overseas and not expected to play.

The girls are expected to play in kits similar to their male A-League counterparts with the squad composition being announced later this week.

As well as the Matildas, the best talent from the respective state institute programs will make up the squads. The first game will be played this Sunday prior to the Jets and the Mariners derby at Energy Australia stadium.

“It'll be a football spectacular,” predicts Salisbury. “Because it's a challenge tournament, we won't be playing defensively. We'll want to get forward, play good football and score goals.

“And trust me, we won't be pulling out of any tackles... but I'm sure we'll all be good friends after the game.

“It'll be a great chance for fans to actually meet us, get an autograph and see us in the flesh after the game. People have been asking when they can see us play ever since the World Cup,” she added.

These are exciting times for female football. After a stellar World Cup – where the Matildas stunned many pundits to reach the quarter finals – it was announced there will be a Women's A-League next year.

What's more, if there is a change of government at the Federal election this month, Labour has promised more funding for football in general, and in particular to coverage of women's football next year.

Women’s A-League Challenge Match Schedule

Sunday 25 November, 2.25pm
Newcastle Jets Women v Sydney FC Women
(Newcastle Jets v Central Coast Mariners, 5pm)
EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle

Sunday 9 December, 3.25pm
Queensland Roar Women v Newcastle Jets Women
(Queensland Roar v Central Coast Mariners, 6pm)
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Saturday 15 December, 4.25pm
Sydney FC Women v Queensland Roar Women
(Sydney FC v Perth Glory, 7pm)
Sydney Football Stadium

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/65347,girls-aleague-spectacular.aspx

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Girls A-League 'Spectacular'
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
Nice to see Austalia taking up the baton from the World Cup and giving it a go  :)

Offline Fatty10

• View Profile
Re: Girls A-League 'Spectacular'
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
I went to a match and it was very entertaining and good football was on display. There wasnt a huge crowd but more people were exposed to the womens game and the FFA was happy with what they saw on the pitch and from the fans reaction. I just hope the FFA can get the new women's league up and running asap because we need it here in Oz for the development of our players and if we want to be serious title contenders at the World Cup.

Great to see the Aussie girls get some attention and be treated like stars!!