Author Topic: Karen Carney  (Read 36915 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Karen Carney
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »
Karen's official website seems to have died...Anyone know if it's gone for good ?

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
Carney keeps focus
by Stuart Mawhinney in Minsk
Wednesday, 07 May 2008.

Belarus v England

UEFA Women's European Championship
Qualifying Round, Group One
5pm (local time), Thursday 8 May 2008
Minsk

After lifting The FA Women's Cup with Arsenal on Monday, Karen Carney and her England team-mates had little time to celebrate as they joined up later that evening ahead of a crucial Euro 2009 qualifier away to Belarus.

With three games remaining, all away from home, it is vital that Hope Powell's side get three points from their trip to Minsk, with closest rivals Czech Republic and Spain playing each other on the same day.

Despite the hectic schedule, Carney is confident that the players can achieve the result they want and finish the season on a real high with England.

Carney told TheFA.com: "We definitely need three points in this fixture to keep our advantage at the top of the group. We're down to the final three games and every point counts.

"We're working hard in training and listening to Hope and her staff, so hopefully we can get the result we want.

"The Cup Final went pretty quickly, and then we were straight into England so it was a little manic and we didn't really have time to celebrate - but I guess we'll have all summer to do that.

"It has been really busy and everyone is tired, but we've really got to concentrate on the game."

The summer, and a break from football, is something that Carney admits has been a long time coming - but she has enjoyed every minute of the last two years.

"Everyone is looking forward to the summer, we're all eager to get a couple of weeks off and get a good rest.

"We've been playing and training for pretty much 18 months to two years, when you take into account qualification for the World Cup and then the actual tournament.

"It has been mad, but I don't think anyone would have it any other way."

Having played her part in a vibrant display by England at the World Cup in China last year, Carney says it is crucial that the success is built upon with constant qualification for major finals.

"It's massively important. For me, I've been to two major championships now - the European Championship in 2005 and the World Cup last year - and I think everyone will be reaching their peak next year and really we have to be looking to go and do something there.

"We've put England on the map but now we have to go and do something even more special, perhaps get to a final - but that's a long way away, and we don't want to look too far ahead of ourselves.

"We definitely want to be there again and be part of a major tournament, it was such an amazing feeling taking part; the build up, the training sessions everything about it is incredible."

As for Belarus, Carney is expecting a similar proposition to that which she faces regularly when on domestic duty with Arsenal, but admits that respect will be given to the home side on Thursday evening.

"When I play for Arsenal in the league a lot of teams tend to stand off us a bit. They hold out as long as possible and I think Belarus will do the same.

"We've faced that before and it is important that we keep our discipline and do our jobs. We'll have to be patient in breaking them down and pay them respect as opponents, but everyone will be looking to give 110% as our last game of the season. We want the result and we're going to put everything in to get it."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/05/EngBelarus_PreviewCarney.htm

Offline Carli_Lloyd_Fan11

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 06:17:38 PM »
How bout Carney coming to the USA to play in the new WUSA league?
hckm18n

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
I reckon WUSA would love her, but I don't want to see her go, she's a quality player.

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »
I would like to see her stay....but money talks eh.......if she is still at Loughboro, she wont wanna go for good, eh?

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
I'd hate to see Carney go to WUSA, she's a great player.
Last night she had the ball taken off of her whilst on an attack and she clattered into the Everton player taking her to the ground with her, the ref blew for a free kick and Carney was in shock that it was against her, classic  ;D

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
she didnt quite look as sharp as usual last night, which is understandable as it's pre-season....but after Kelly, she was my pick of the Arsenal players last night..........
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

cardy

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »
Shes a great player with tremendous energy. 

shlj

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »
Very skillfull and may be the main Arsenal player in the very near future with the weight  of the team on her shoulders

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
nah ;D ;D...Kelly is da main man ...... ;D ;D

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
Very skillfull and may be the main Arsenal player in the very near future with the weight  of the team on her shoulders
Kaz has small shoulders  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
Kaz has small shoulders  ;D
She may need bigger ones soon.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
...kelly will need 'em if thursday is anything to go by..

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:22 AM »
Faye and Jayne can teach her what shoulders are for  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »
Actually it would make sense for her to go WPS; she finished her studies and the chance to be a professional player cannot be missed.
It would be bad to loose her and the others at the same time.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 02:21:20 AM »
Actually it would make sense for her to go WPS; she finished her studies and the chance to be a professional player cannot be missed.
It would be bad to loose her and the others at the same time.
Please don't encourage them to leave  :'(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
'It's massive'
by Stuart Mawhinney
Thursday, 02 October 2008.

Spain v England
UEFA 2009 European Women's Championship Qualifier
7.30pm, Thursday 2 October 2008
Ruta de la Plata, Zamora, Spain
Live on Setanta

England forward Karen Carney says that the decisive qualifier with Spain on Thursday evening is a 'massive' game for the Three Lions, who will be doing everything they can to seal their place in the Finland next summer.

After scoring in England's 5-1 win in Prague on Sunday, Carney believes that the team will have to show their character and fighting qualities to earn a place at the European Championship Finals.

"It's massive," Carney admits when asked about Spain. "We don't want to mess up on the last game. We've got to go to Spain and really graft and work hard."

Reflecting on the victory over Czech Republic, Carney feels that England will have to be a lot sharper if they are to get the right result in Zamora.

While the result was comfortable in the end, England trailed until the 61st minute when Everton midfielder Emily Westwood crashed a shot home from 25 yards.

"The first half was very frustrating but in the second half Woody [Emily Westwood] came on and scored a fantastic goal that really settled the nerves.

"We just played our football from then on. I think we worked harder and played better in the second half. It was a great result really.

"We pushed on and got four goals in the last seven minutes and that shows that we're fit and strong. We did our fitness tests in the week building up to the game and everyone did really well.

"We're up for it, so let's hope that our fitness stands us in good stead for Spain."

Having missed a headed chance early on, Carney was pleased to notch from an almost identical opening as England rained in four goals in seven minutes late on.

"I was a bit gutted in the first half to miss the chance, but I couldn't believe I'd got up for a header to be honest. My goal was a great ball in and I couldn't really miss with the ball that Kel [Kelly Smith] put in.

"All the goals were great. Kelly's two, Jill's was a great finish and Woody's especially. Everyone did really well in the second half and we'll learn from the first half, because that can't happen against Spain. If we play like that on Thursday, they will definitely punish us.

"(At half-time) We went in and said there was no fire in our bellies, no fight, and they wanted it more. I don't think we were disciplined enough, but in the second half we got control of the ball and we worked harder.

"We chased down balls and we did what England are all about."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/10/EnglandSpain_Carney.htm

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
Well - she did her bit with a goal in Spain ;)

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »
superb strike imo......want another one on Sunday please.. ;)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
superb strike imo......want another one on Sunday please.. ;)

Well, she got one for you, even if it was just a pen. ;)