Author Topic: Karen Carney  (Read 36917 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Karen Carney
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:59 AM »
Chicago Red Stars Sign England's Karen Carney
Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bridgeview, Illinois – The Chicago Red Stars and Karen Carney have agreed to a contract to play for the club in 2009, General Manager Marcia McDermott announced today. The dynamic English forward, the third pick of the Red Stars in last September’s WPS International Draft, becomes the first player to officially sign with the team for 2009.

A burgeoning talent on the English National Team, Carney, 21, exploded onto the scene in 2005, scoring in her first-ever call up to the senior National Team. She has earned 41 caps with England and was honored with the FA National Young Player of the Year award in both 2005 and 2006.

“I am delighted to be joining the Chicago Red Stars,” said Carney. “The set-up is fantastic; great stadium and training facilities and, of course, teaming up with Emma Hayes was a major factor in my decision. PS represents a new era for the women’s game and I am extremely excited about the prospect of playing with and against the best players on the planet.“

Carney joins Chicago from Arsenal Ladies F.C. of London, where Red Stars coach Emma Hayes trained her in 2006 and 2007. She played a vital role in Arsenal’s successful 2006/2007 campaign, in which the club won four major trophies, including the FA Women’s Premier league title, the FA Women’s Cup, The FA Women’s Premier League Cup and the UEFA Women’s Cup.

“Karen is the best, young, attacking player in England,” praised Chicago Red Stars Head Coach Emma Hayes, “and I truly believe that playing in WPS will provide her a platform to develop into one of the best players in the world.”

The opportunity to develop as a player and to test herself against the top players in the world was a determining factor in Carney’s decision to come to the United States.

“Of course it has been a very difficult decision to leave such a successful club like Arsenal and it will be a real wrench to leave the team but I just felt that the time was right for a new challenge,” she explained. “In the long run I feel that the standard of football in WPS and the opportunity to concentrate full time on improving my game at the Red Stars will accelerate my football development. I remain extremely committed to the England team and firmly believe that my goal to become a more accomplished footballer at Chicago can only benefit my international career and ultimately help England’s continued rise up the world rankings.”

The Red Stars kick off the 2009 WPS season on April 5th on the road against St. Louis Athletica at Ralph Korte Stadium on the campus of Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville. Following a second road game against the Washington Freedom on April 11th, the Red Stars will play their home-opener at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois on Sunday April 19th against Sky Blue FC of New Jersey.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8270.aspx?team=chicago
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:43:14 PM by redrobin »

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
I remain extremely committed to the England team and firmly believe that my goal to become a more accomplished footballer at Chicago can only benefit my international career and ultimately help England’s continued rise up the world rankings.”

This is good to read and a true and honest assessment of the situation I think. Wise head on young shoulders, congrats Kaz.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
Arsenal Football Club can today confirm that England midfielder Karen Carney has signed a contract with Chicago Red Stars and will join the Women’s Professional Soccer League in the USA as of February 23rd 2009, ready for the start of the new League in April 2009.

21-year old Carney joined Arsenal Ladies from Birmingham City Ladies FC in the summer of 2006, having been a long-term target of manager Vic Akers.

Arsenal Ladies Manager Vic Akers said: “I wish Karen well for her move to Chicago Red Stars. I know that the experience on offer for her in the States is great for her as she is still young.  She knows that the door is always open for her here however, should she ever wish to return to Arsenal Ladies; it would be a pleasure to have one of my best signings return.”

In her time with the Gunners, Karen played a vital role in the Ladies most successful 2006/2007 season, in which the Club won four major trophies including the FA Women’s Premier League title, the FA Women’s Cup, FA Women’s League Cup and the UEFA Women’s Cup.

Making an instant impact in the team, Karen has also played a significant role in maintaining the Ladies current unbeaten run in the FA Women’s Premier League which currently stands at 105 matches, their last defeat in the League was way back in October 2003.

Having made 91 appearances for Arsenal Ladies, and scoring 41 goals it is no surprise that Karen also has a firm place on that national team, and currently has 41 caps to her name for England. Karen started all but one of England's games at the 2007 FIFA World Cup, showing tremendous work ethic and positive running; she set up England's first goal of the tournament against Japan.

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to wish Karen the very best for her move to Chicago Red Stars and thank her for her outstanding contribution during her three seasons with Arsenal Ladies.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/ladies-news/carney-agrees-move-to-chicago-red-stars

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:14 PM »
what a great experience for her.  Hope she enjoys herself and does well.  In fact its brilliant for anita asante too and any other young players who go to US.  Great experience for them.  Unfortunately, if the pro league does well, I can see a number of others wanting to go too.  Let's see what happens in the summer and who goes to the W league.  Some pro clubs look as though theyve got connections with W league clubs.  They might invite players to look at for next year.   :( :-\

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
Hopefully the future English pro league will help stop other players leaving in the future. Remember Carney's comments: "Of course, the American league will be a brand new one and it looks as if there'll be a summer league here next year as well, which is a very positive move.  If that was in place now I don't think I'd be considering leaving home, but they're understandably taking their time in making sure they get the setup right and hopefully that will pay off in the long run."
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »
Hopefully the future English pro league will help stop other players leaving in the future. Remember Carney's comments: "Of course, the American league will be a brand new one and it looks as if there'll be a summer league here next year as well, which is a very positive move.  If that was in place now I don't think I'd be considering leaving home, but they're understandably taking their time in making sure they get the setup right and hopefully that will pay off in the long run."
Do you think she'll be back in a year then?
The way the season's going here, this one won't have finished by the time the summer league starts in 2010  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2009, 05:26:30 AM »
The way the season's going here, this one won't have finished by the time the summer league starts in 2010  ;D

Karen signed a three-year deal with Red Stars.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »

Karen signed a three-year deal with Red Stars.
She isn't bothered about returning for the first summer season here in 2010 then - so is that a load of crap she was saying there?
I mean - she insinuated that if the new summer league was set up here, she'd have stayed.
USA have beaten England to it by just a year, yet she signs a 3 year contract  :-\
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »
the politics of womens footie!  :o 

shlj

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »
She isn't bothered about returning for the first summer season here in 2010 then - so is that a load of crap she was saying there?
I mean - she insinuated that if the new summer league was set up here, she'd have stayed.
USA have beaten England to it by just a year, yet she signs a 3 year contract  :-\
I think there would have been no point really going for one year only, she could have well stayed here in that case.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:01:43 AM by shlj »

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »
I think there would have been no point really going for one year only, she could have well stayed here in that case.
That's what I was getting at really  :-\

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
I dont really think the fa will stop players going to the US if the pro league succeeds.  The chance to play with top international players from different countries is a great opportunity, together with the facilities out there and the enthusiastic and positive approach to life will appeal to a lot of young players. 

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
I dont really think the fa will stop players going to the US if the pro league succeeds.  The chance to play with top international players from different countries is a great opportunity, together with the facilities out there and the enthusiastic and positive approach to life will appeal to a lot of young players. 
I don't think they can stop them.

It will be a bit like men from all over the world wanting to play in the Premiership in England.

But - in the last WC in 2006, every member of the Italian squad (and Italy were eventual winners) played for a team in their home country ;)

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2009, 06:50:39 AM »

It will be a bit like men from all over the world wanting to play in the Premiership in England.

But - in the last WC in 2006, every member of the Italian squad (and Italy were eventual winners) played for a team in their home country ;)

That's an understandable thought. Sooo...does that mean that the US will hoist the Cup in Germany?? If so, then I am even more excited for the new league to get rolling!!! We might not be the best in the men's competition, but darn it, we have TWO World Cups for our women, and will snatch another one in 2011!!!  ;D

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »

That's an understandable thought. Sooo...does that mean that the US will hoist the Cup in Germany?? If so, then I am even more excited for the new league to get rolling!!! We might not be the best in the men's competition, but darn it, we have TWO World Cups for our women, and will snatch another one in 2011!!!  ;D
Hope Powell mike have a hissy fit with those leaving and just select players playing in England - so England may win it ;)

shlj

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
Hope Powell mike have a hissy fit with those leaving and just select players playing in England - so England may win it ;)
Hopefully she won't be around

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:27 PM »
But it's the FA that will decide :(

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »
But it's the FA that will decide :(

Thank goodness Pia is liked here. Everyone saw what happened to Greg Ryan, and nobody really hated the guy...US Soccer just thought he was a bone head for playing Scurry instead of Solo. I'm sure after the Olympic final he was kicking himself, too.

shlj

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »
Thank goodness Pia is liked here. Everyone saw what happened to Greg Ryan, and nobody really hated the guy...US Soccer just thought he was a bone head for playing Scurry instead of Solo. I'm sure after the Olympic final he was kicking himself, too.
Greg Ryan had a good record to be fair, but his decision to drop Solo cost him his job and righly so IMO. Taking such a gamble for a WC semi-final is  ???

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
Greg Ryan had a good record to be fair, but his decision to drop Solo cost him his job and righly so IMO. Taking such a gamble for a WC semi-final is  ???

I absolutely agree with you. I was stunned when it was announced, to say the very least. Brianna Scurry is a really good keeper, but there's a HUGE difference between the Chinese squad from the '99 World Cup and the Brazilians of late. This past Olympics was not the first time Hope Solo has not only been in the net against Brazil, but shut them out. In a three game stretch, they were lucky to get one past her, if any at all.