Author Topic: Karen Carney  (Read 37500 times)

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Karen Carney
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »
Sorry to see Kaz go, but it was always a possibility.
Best of luck to her in the future  :)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »
We got lander it's ok now :)

...you may also have an international player from Norway soon :)
It's more than OK then, it will be good. Hopefully a center back to play alongside Basset.

The player is a midfielder who was born on the 3rd August 1981 ;D
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

shlj

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2009, 09:44:34 PM »

It's more than OK then, it will be good. Hopefully a center back to play alongside Basset.

The only Norwegian midfiled international born on that date has signed to Lyon a few days ago  ???

http://fr.fifa.com/womensolympic/teams/team=1882882/squadlist.html

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »

The only Norwegian midfiled international born on that date has signed to Lyon a few days ago  ???

http://fr.fifa.com/womensolympic/teams/team=1882882/squadlist.html

Vic: "Obviously she (Julie Fleeting) will be a big miss and we might have to look at countering the loss of a few attacking players by entering the transfer market. Things have been active on that front - over Christmas and before. We've looked closely at one foreign-based player, Ingvild Stensland from Norway. Like Kelly, she's one of the top ten players in the world rankings. She came over before Christmas and spent a few days with us, we're still in coversation with her but at this moment in time it might cost us too much to bring her in. It's still a possibility that we may be able to arrange something though - she's a really nice girl and we'll see what happens."
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

shlj

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
I think Lyon pays their player very well indeed, it's a shame because they don't really need her as they already have two international player in her position. Still Lander is a great signing and will score bucketload, I would say at least 15 goals in all competition till May  starting with a hat trick tomorrow  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:03:26 PM by shlj »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
I think Lyon pays their player very well indeed, it's a shame because they don't really need her as they already have two international player in her position.

That is something Chelsea men team have done in the past.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
I think Lyon pays their player very well indeed, it's a shame because they don't really need her as they already have two international player in her position.

That is something Chelsea men team have done in the past.
And it doesn't always work - as Chelsea men have shown  ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2009, 03:24:19 PM »
Does anyone know if Carney is going immediately? would have been nice to see her play a final game for Arsenal, if I could get down for a game.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »
Does anyone know if Carney is going immediately? would have been nice to see her play a final game for Arsenal, if I could get down for a game.

Vic mentioned in a previous interview about the timescales.  I've re-posted the relevant parts below. I assume Kaz is contracted to Arsenal until the end of our domestic season but she might have a get out clause or something.

September's issue of The Official Arsenal Magazine.

Arsenal Ladies enter the 2008/09 season in buoyant mood after securing a fifth consecutive title win and their ninth FA Cup success last time around - but with a sense that this season may be the toughest, and closest, Women's Premier League campaign for serveral years.  It will inevitably hold a certain poignancy too, with Vic Akers set to step down as manager of the side next May after 22 remarkable seasons at the helm. We caught up with Vic to reflect on a close-season of notable incomings and departures - as well as some of the very real challenges facing the Women's game.

Obviously there've been departures too - Anita Asante and Lianne Sanderson have left for Chelsea.  What impact will this have?

Obviously losing two big players like these is a major problem - but I think our bigger difficulties could come from the new American League starts up in the New Year.  A couple of clubs there are intrested in six or seven of our players and it could be a problem for us - hopefully I'll know by September if we are losing any, and I'll then have to get my scouting boots on and find us some reinforcements.  We need to come up with a way of dealing with it, to avoid future problems for women's football.

So the English game will have to react to the lure of the States?

The American League kicks off officially in April - while a revamped Premier League would probably start in 2010/11.  So somewhere along the line we have to do something that makes sure we retain our players over that period, and that all the big players are here when our new league starts.  People won't want to support a league in which the best players aren't present so hopefully we'll come up with a solution between now and Christmas which will allow us to keep players here.

It's a financial thing at this moment in time - we need to make sure that we're in a position to keep our players here, and if we're not then the FA have got to try and look to find means of making sure they do stay.  It would probably mean professionalising the league to some degree - pehaps centralising the contracts as they do in cricket.

One thing's for sure - over the last couple of years we've won in Europe and the international side has done well too, so this is bad timing for us.  It's a big problem for me and will equally be one for the FA.  Our club can only do what we're doing and that is to try and be the best, and I think we've set the standards for women's football over the last decade at least and possibly longer.  So it really is now time for the FA to step up and ensure that the game can continue to thrive here.

byrnefan

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
Good Luck to karen, I can see why players do want to go but selfishly I hope she's the only one who does

I also hope she stays until the end of the season

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
I wonder what the FA think about her moving as I thought one of the major reasons for the summer league was to ensure we keep the best English talent in this country. It makes the league less attractive if the best talents from this country play elsewhere.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
I assume Kaz is contracted to Arsenal until the end of our domestic season but she might have a get out clause or something.

Ok thanks John, I think with the way delayed fixtures are going I think she'll need that get out clause if she wants to make its to the States before it will be time to come back for pre-Finland training.

Should be good for her though and maybe she'll get a chance at the no. 10 slot she mentioned in her FG interview.

shlj

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
According theirwebsite WPS pre-season begins TBA but they have 01/03/09 as a provisional date, so krane leaving straight after the League Cup final would make sense. It does depend actually of the opening date of the transfer window set by the USA soccer association.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/EventAll.aspx?team=chicago

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2009, 10:28:38 PM »
Arsenal to lose forwards Carney and Fleeting

• Carney to join Chicago club in new US league
  • Fleeting baby not fleeting enough for Akers

Yesterday's postponement of Arsenal's FA Cup fourth-round tie against Colchester United was the least of the manager Vic Akers' problems as the Gunners entered the new year with the confirmation they are to lose the services of two key players, the England right-winger Karen Carney and the Scotland striker Julie Fleeting.

Carney is to join the Chicago Red Stars and is the first of what could become a significant flow of Arsenal players to the United States' newly formed Women's Professional Soccer league. The prolific scorer Fleeting is expecting her first child in July.

Akers has replaced Fleeting by signing the Watford and Wales striker Helen Lander but he is concerned about losing other players because the striker Kelly Smith, the right-back Alex Scott and the goalkeeper Emma Byrne are also wanted by WPS clubs.

"I could have done without this in my last season as manager," said Akers, who is to step down after 22 years in charge. "I was hoping to persuade the girls who are thinking about America to stay with us, so it was a blow when Kaz told me she's going and then it was a double whammy to hear Julie's news."

Source: Tony Leighton, Guardian

www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jan/04/football-womens-arsenal-chicago-red-stars-karen-carney-julie-fleeting

Offline Little Miss Soccer

• View Profile
    • Little Miss Soccer
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
It is a shame we are losing good players but can understand why they would want to go and play in the states.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »
it's always disappointing to lose good players, but Arsenal have done pretty good since we lost Asante, Philip and Sanderson and will continue to do well. Vic is astute enough to bring in decent replacements as he has done already. Lander is a good player who scores loads of goals and although she is a different player to Fleeting, will score loads more with Arsenal.

No one can blame Carney for going, she's achieved it all with Arsenal and is young enough to relish a fresh challenge, the consolation is that ahe has not gone to one of our  rivals in England to take up that challenge.

Vic cant be too surprised about Fleeting, disappointed maybe, but I gues she didnt plan it to happen during the season. But she will be back just like Chapman came back and she has been playing some good stuff recently.

Whether Vic will get in a replacement for Carney or work with Davison and Yankey remains to be seen.
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »
Fleets would be out for a while whenever it happened ;)

At least she saved it until we were out of Uefa  ;D

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
Fleets would have missed the Euro's had Scotland made it pass Russia. They were so close to doing it as well.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »
Fleets would have missed the Euro's had Scotland made it pass Russia. They were so close to doing it as well.
I'd not thought of that, sorry  :-[

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
These notes were written ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League encounter with Bolton Wanderers at the Emiartes on Saturday, January 10, 2009.

In each matchday programme a different member of the Arsenal Ladies squad or coaching staff will be guest writing for us.  This week, flying winger Karen Carney tells us about her much-mooted move to the United States...

There has been much talk about my future lately and I have to emphasise that I haven't actually signed anything yet regarding a switch to America - I've been talking to Chicago Red Stars but we're still at that stage really and the Christmas break meant that things have not yet moved on definitively.  But with there not being a transfer window or deadline as stringent as that in the men's game, the rush to settle things has not been as intense.

As I say, we're still talking  - and Vic knows that I am very interested in going there.  I would like to experience America - it would be a completely new challenge for a young player, and person, like me and not a financially motivated move.  In a way, I've done everything with Arsenal now - and won everything there is to win in my first season here.  I'd say things are looking positive about the move but I've not signed on the dotted line and as things stand I am committed to training and playing for Arsenal.

People ask whether the transfer speculation in recent months has got to myself or the other players - it's been a bit hard, of course, with people frequently asking whether I'm leaving, but the fact remains that I am an Arsenal player.  Every time I step out onto the pitch I just want to win and beat whoever is put in front of me - I've got too much respect for my club to let the America situation weigh on my mind when I'm playing for them.  Until the situation changes, I'll give everything here and there is plenty to aim for this season.

Of course, the American league will be a brand new one and it looks as if there'll be a summer league here next year as well, which is a very positive move.  If that was in place now I don't think I'd be considering leaving home, but they're understandably taking their time in making sure they get the setup right and hopefully that will pay off in the long run.

The domestic scene has actually been more competitive this season with some challenging games against the like of Everton, who still have a 100 per cent league record like we do, and Chelsea.  You thrive on those games, and these are the sides I really can't wait to play - as well as matches like our upcoming League Cup Final against Doncaster Rovers Belles.  You know you need to put in 150 per cent during these matches and this is what we play for.

Perhaps the improving standard is down largely to what is happening at younger levels of the England setup, with teams playing to a good standard at Under-15, Under-17 and Under-18 levels and the like.  Youngsters are coming through in better shape than they were ten years or so ago, so hopefully teams' levels are evening out a little bit and this should continue to improve when the league is finalised.

Weather permitting, we'll be playing our FA Cup tie against Colchester tomorrow after it was postponed last week.  We really appreciate the support we get so it would be great to see you at Boreham Wood FC for this one.

Source: Arsenal v Bolton Wanderers matchday programme.