Author Topic: Karen Carney  (Read 25424 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Karen Carney
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:47:39 AM »
England and Arsenal tinytot winger and scorer of that goal against Finland in Euro 2005 and the now legendary "squarking like a loon" goal celebration that followed :)

Her official website can be found here:-

http://www.karen-carney.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:07:07 PM by David »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Karen Carney
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »
Kaz was languishing at the bottom of the players thread so I was looking for an excuse to bump her back to the top a bit....and then I saw this pic she had posted on her Myspace that made me smile.....

Offline tilda#1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:53:51 PM »
awww karen carney i think she is a mint player ....my role model by far ......thers summit bwt her aswell hmmmm fit as  ;) haha x x x

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:16:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tilda :) Yes Kaz has been playing well recently it sounds like....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Want to quiz Carney?

Midlands members of englandfans will be joined by Birmingham born Karen Carney tomorrow night at a fans forum, where they will get the chance to quiz the England and Arsenal winger about her season.

Karen has just completed an amazing club season at Arsenal, where The Gunners won an unprecedented quadruple: The FA Women's Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup.

Karen will also be hoping to be part of Hope Powell's 21 player England squad that will compete in the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup, where Japan, Germany and Argentina await in the group stages.

Karen has been capped 28 times and scored five goals at senior international level, and will no doubt be hoping - should she be on the plane to China - to score another goal like her iconic match-winner in the opening game of Euro 2005 at the City of Manchester Stadium.

The forum in Birmingham on 31 May will take place at the Old Joint Stock, 4 Temple Row West, Birmingham, B2 5NY. Doors will open at 7pm for a 7.30 start.

If members of the public are interested in attending, they should first email:  neil@midlandsenglandfans.com

As always there are a couple of ground rules set by the venue. England shirts are allowed but the bar asks that no club colours are worn. Also, due to licensing laws the venue unfortunately cannot allow children into the building.

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/05/Want_to_quiz_Carney.htm

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
Karen's official website appears to be down...in case anyone reading this wonders why the link doesn't work !

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it reappears.....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
Apparently it is going to reappear at some point....So watch this space !

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 01:19:17 AM »
Kaz coaches the kids
Thursday, 16 August 2007.

On Wednesday 15 August, a one-day girls’ football festival took place at New Mills FC in High Peak to celebrate England Women qualifying for the Women’s World Cup taking place in China this September.

The event was planned and delivered in partnership with the High Peak Borough Council’s Sports Development Officer, the School Sports Partnership, St. Philip Howard School’s Community Sports Development Officer, Buxton Juniors FC, New Mills Juniors FC and Derbyshire County FA.

Near on forty girls participated in the event that incorporated football coaching, skill drills and a mini World Cup tournament delivered by FA Qualified coaches from the two local FA Charter Standard Clubs involved, Buxton Juniors FC and New Mills Juniors FC who have supported the event and been instrumental in the planning stages.

The event also involved a visit from BBC’s Newsround programme. They were producing a news report following a letter that they had received from a budding female player in Derby. Natasha Cogings who plays for Woodlands FC wrote into the programme about the amount of media coverage that England Women receive in comparison to their male counterparts.

Natasha took part in the day’s coaching and she along with the other participants were delighted to hear that they would be receiving a visit from an England Women’s Football International and they were all thoroughly delighted when Karen Carney arrived and spent time answering questions and offering advice to the inspired participants.

Karen presented prizes and giveaways to all of the girls and finished by signing posters, postcards and posing for photos with the players.

The event was extremely successful and all involved thoroughly enjoyed the coaching and tournament, but it was the visit of Karen that capped off a fine event.

Keely Brown, Girls and Women’s Football Development Officer for Derbyshire County Football Association said: “This event is one of many we are supporting in Derbyshire to celebrate England Women qualifying for the World Cup.

"It was a fantastic event and the attendance of Karen was the highlight for the girls attending. The girls were overwhelmed and delighted to meet a Women’s International player and I would like to thank Karen for taking the time to support girls’ football in Derbyshire. We would like to wish Karen and the whole squad the very best of luck for the tournament”.

http://www.thefa.com/WorldCup2007/EnglandNews/Postings/2007/08/Kaz_coachesthe_Kids.htm

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:40:43 PM »
Exclusive Interview: Karen Carney
Shows Football Is For Girl's Too

Footballer Karen Carney was 18 when she became the youngest woman to debut in the England team for more than six years and now having just turned 20 she's preparing to head to China for the Women's Football World Cup proving that the sport is definitely no longer a man's game.

International forward and Puma player Karen is described as a 'super sub' by coach Hope Powell and has a natural ability on the ball and plenty of tricks up her sleeve to get past even the toughest marker.

She was voted the Nationwide Young Player of the Year in 2005 and is sure to wow fans even more as she heads to what promises to be a nail-biting World Cup.

Karen took some time out from packing for China to talk to Female First about her love of the game and her hopes for the future of women's football.

How are you feeling about the World Cup in China?
I'm excited. Just packing at the moment because we leave tomorrow. I think I'll be more excited when I get there and get over the jet lag.

What do you think the team's chances are?
I think we have a pretty good chance. We've got a good team at the moment and we're going over there optimistic. We have Japan in our first match and they're a good team and Germany and Sweden are obviously going to be big opponents too.

Do you think it's getting any easier for women to get into football?
Well it keeps getting bigger and bigger which is fantastic. It just needs to keep going really. We need more support at the higher level so the younger girls can follow through and go all the way to the top. But it is getting easier and hopefully it will continue to get bigger and better.

How did you first get into football?
Just playing with the lads in school really and having a kick around and I ended up at a Sunday club just for girls and there was only about 15- 20 girls there and I just moved onto a club from there. Then I moved onto a club at county level then centre of excellences and it just went on from there really.

Did you have any problems along the way making a career from football?
Well we're only semi-pro at the moment- but not particularly really. I was just there at the right time so not particularly any problems. It was all good for me and I think I've been very fortunate in the way I've come along the track really.

And what do you think needs to be done to encourage more girls into football?
I think obviously the media need to help promote the game and make it bigger so the younger girls have women role models to look up to and try and aspire to instead of just male footballers. And they need to make the game bigger and give it the respect that it deserves.

Do you think there will be a time in the near future where women's football will be as big as men's football?
I don't think in this country it will ever be as big as the men's but as long as it's still growing then that's good for the women's game. The men's game is so big and has so much money it's a business and in theory we're not gonna beat a man's business but as long as the women's game is rising- and it's on the rise at the moment then that's good enough for us.

Do you follow any men's England team at all?
Yes of course I support England- and I follow Birmingham- I am an avid football fan and obviously I have a connection with Arsenal so I like to watch them too. I think anyone who is English follows the men's team and wants them to do well and I'm an avid follower of any football really.

And how do you think the men's team are going to cope without Wayne Rooney over the next few months?
Well they've got a lot of good players. Obviously he brings a lot to the team but there re other players who can play too. And as long as he's back soon they will be ok. But it's not just Rooney who is injured. There are about 12 or 13 top players who can't play. They might struggle but it might also give the younger players the opportunity to come in and show what they're about and that might work in England's favour for this month. And then they will just have to wait for the big stars to come back and they can follow up and take them team through to the final hopefully.

Are there any women coming through the lower levels at the moment who we should be watching out for?
Yes there's a striker called Ellen White, a few defenders Sophie Bradley and Fern Wheelan- there's a lot of good players who have just come back from the under 19s European finals, where they came second so there are a lot of players who will come through in the next 3 years that can make it

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/Karen+Carney-39311.html

Offline carney_fan2007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
 :)
Hey, thanks for the article link. I always find some good stuff on here.
cheers
Jodie

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
From The Times
September 10, 2007

We don’t want Rolexes just more recognition

As the England women’s team begin their quest for the World Cup in China, Karen Carney hopes that a good showing will lead to strangers knowing who she is again

by Peter Lansley in Shanghai

It was an iconic moment for women’s football. Karen Carney, England’s 17-year-old wunderkind, scored the winning goal in the last minute of the opening match of the European Championship, in front of 30,000 at the City of Manchester Stadium, and then mouthed a celebratory obscenity live on BBC Television.

As introductions to the football public go, it was not such a bad career move - just ask Micah Richards. But while the Manchester City defender has earned a £20 million price tag after his faux pas as a teenager followed an FA Cup equaliser against Aston Villa last year, Carney’s 15 minutes of fame have rippled to the edge of football’s consciousness.

Now, however, as England’s women prepare to take part in their first World Cup finals in 12 years, starting in China today, the Arsenal winger has gained a perspective that will allow any ephemeral glory, any gut-wrenching first-round exit, to form part of a larger picture.

Football is the most popular female sport played in the UK. Arsenal are the European champions and England face Japan, Germany and Argentina over the next week bristling with hope that they can reach the last eight and take the sport’s profile up another notch. The matches will be televised live on BBC Two and there is much to celebrate. But nothing will turn the Birmingham girl’s head.

“I went into the Euros [in 2005] unknown and then I’d scored a goal and it all blew up,” she said. “It took me by surprise. It’s difficult, but I wouldn’t change anything. I’d be walking down the streets and people would recognise me. Afterwards [when England had missed qualification for the quarter-finals by one goal], I was preparing for the under19s’ Euros and I was running round the roads, getting all these cars hooting their horns, people shouting out, ‘We saw you play.’ I started wearing my iPod so I could keep my head down.

“It was nice, and you are striving for recognition, but it was also quite funny. Then it all finished. The next season I was fighting relegation with Birmingham City and the media attention dropped away.

“It really hit home when, having played in the biggest [women’s] tournament this country’s ever seen, I didn’t have a team to play for because my home team folded [when Birmingham’s men were relegated from the top flight] when they couldn’t raise the £75,000 needed.

“It was hard to motivate yourself. You think, ‘What’s it all for?’ Then I moved to Arsenal and we went an entire season unbeaten in every competition. When we got to the Uefa Cup final, we got a keyring. The Arsenal men got a Rolex watch when they got to their Champions League final. We don’t want Rolexes, but we do want more recognition.

“It’s not about wanting fame; we want to be successful. That way we can raise the profile of the game and give the next generation more of a chance. If we can be successful in this World Cup, it’ll mean more than just one England team doing well.”

Carney, an aspiring coach who is studying sports science at Loughborough University, has her personal reasons to do well in Shanghai. “In the Euros my mum was going through cancer. Although my family were supporting me, I had to support them, too,” she said. “I’m always conscious I want to give them something back. When I scored that goal, it was more for them than anything. They’re paying loads of money to come out to China, so I feel I want to succeed for them. Mum’s fine now. She’s been on the up ever since the Euros.”

Carney is confident England can improve on their efforts from two years ago. “We’re so much stronger, the fitness has improved so much,” she said. “In the Euros, I think we were a good side but we didn’t have any experience. We had a lot of good young players who’d never been involved in anything so high-profile before.

“I think our World Cup will depend on our first game. You can’t go into the Germany game thinking we’ve got to beat the world champions to stay alive – although I don’t think there’s any doubt we could – but you don’t want that added pressure, so I think we’ve got to get a result out of Japan.

“You’ve got to go into it looking at each game as it comes along. Every team in this World Cup has the capability of winning the tournament, so we’ve got to go into every game with that attitude and hopefully we’ll do well. Beat Japan and it’s game on.”

The report also has a short three to watch item featuring Marta, Birgit Prinz and Abby Wambach.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2419898.ece

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »
No sign of Karen's website reappearing yet....

I'm not sure if it's just me but I can't quite grasp the logic of taking your site down when the Women's World Cup is on...Now should be the time when more people are searching for "Karen Carney" on the internet than any other I would have thought with the extra publicity and TV coverage....

Offline becky09

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
she seems a very down to earth girl, nice to see.
Champions of Norway!!!!!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:47:06 PM »
Better late than never there seems to be some life on the old website front  :)

shlj

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:01:07 PM »
If you heard her in interview she sounds like a young  teenager  !

Offline hevding

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I think I played for the same team as her, but not at the same time, I don't think, but my friend played with her!

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
Carney's China spur
By Stuart Mawhinney. Tuesday, 23 October 2007.

England v Belarus
UEFA Women's European Championship
Qualifying Round, Group One
12.30pm, Saturday 27 October 2007
Banks's Stadium, Walsall FC

After the incredible World Cup journey that began two years ago in Amstetten, the first qualifier away to Austria, and ended against the Americans in Tianjin, Karen Carney is determined that England embark on another journey all the way to Finland and the European Championship in 2009.

Still only 20, Carney is a veteran of two major tournaments having made the headlines early on at Euro 2005 with her dramatic injury time winner against Finland, and she is keen to make it a hat-trick in two years time.

"I think on the back of the World Cup we've got to be looking to do something big and special at the next major tournament. First job is qualifying, and if we can do that then we have to look to go one step further than we have done before.

"We've proved against Germany that we can compete with the best, and our players are a good age so as we get a little older and add the experience we're gaining all the time we can only get better.

"We have to be professional again, we did it after the Euros, we came back disappointed but we knew we had to lift ourselves for a World Cup qualifier. Now we have to do the same for this game, we're trying to go forward all the time and progress but we'll take qualification one game at a time and this is the most important one right now.

"2009 will be where a lot of our players will peak, so hopefully that will be when we can make a big impression and go far."

Walsall holds good memories for Carney, and as a local girl she'll be eager to perform for her watching family and friends.

"I was involved for England in the last game at Walsall, I came on as sub in the second half.

"But it's going to be more special this time around as I'm more senior now and I have a bit more experience. More of my family have taken notice of the England games now, whereas when I played there last time I was just breaking through.

"Now all my family are behind me wherever we play, and everyone asks 'Karen, will you get me tickets?'. My family will all be coming down to watch the game so that will make it special playing in front of them."

http://womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=26.0;num_replies=15

Offline carney_fan2007

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
Thought I would get Kaz pushed up the players table a bit in light of her winning goal against Spain. Great Player, great skill, great goal...

Super super super Kaz
Super Kaz
Super Kaz
Super super super Kaz
Karen Carney

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
great celebration as well with the acrobats.. shame she ran to the other side of the pitch to do it.. my pics are a bit small of that... but got loads of other good ones of her. inc player of the match and press conference.
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:05:31 AM »
Nice to score - Karen

Women's Football News 27 Nov 2007

Karen Carney paid a generous tribute to Spain whilst savouring her winning goal in England's 1-0 victory in the UEFA Championship qualifying group in Shrewsbury.

The winger's second half strike settled the match in England's favour and she said afterwards: "Spain were really good, to be fair, and looked like they could get a goal as well.

"It was all about keeping our discipline and taking our chances. I don't think we had as many chances as we would have liked but we got the three points and that is the main thing."

The goal was Karen's sixth for England and kept up her welcome habit of scoring important ones for her country. "It's nice to score, I haven't scored one in a while and was getting quite worried," she quipped.

"It's always important for me to score as well as deliver them for others and it was good to get on the scoresheet, especially in a 1-0 win."

http://www.womenssoccerscene.co.uk/