Author Topic: Macca Opts For Northern Ireland  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Macca Opts For Northern Ireland
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »
McCann Takes Irish Option
06/11/2007 

Birmingham City's Amy McCann is hoping to launch her international career in the new year and to that end, was in Belfast at the weekend, for a training camp with the Northern Ireland squad.

The former Everton forward is bidding to be part of Irish manager Alfie Wylie’s plans, when his side resume UEFA Women's Championship qualifiers after the winter break, which includes a home game against England in March.

McCann, top scorer last season for Birmingham City, qualifies for Northern Ireland through her late paternal grandfather, Henry McCann. As soon as Wylie, who like Henry is from Portadown, learned of the 25-year-old’s Irish roots, he invited McCann over and was impressed with what he saw.

“Amy acquitted herself very well,” he said, “I would very much like her to be part of my plans. We are hoping to arrange a friendly against an English Premier Division side in the new year and I want Amy to be part of that.”

And the forward, with an eye on the next Euro date, in Spain in February, was just as enthusiastic after a call-up prompted by her club’s match day magazine.

"The editor of our programme asked me if I qualified for any other countries through my parents or grandparents," said the Black Country forward. I had never really thought about playing for Northern Ireland, although my dad is very proud of his Irish roots and stays in contact with his family in Portadown.

"When I was asked to join the training day I had to come over, although it was difficult because it meant missing Birmingham's League Cup quarter-final at Watford - our biggest game of the season - which we lost 3-2 on Sunday.

"Alfie and the players were very welcoming and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My dad is very proud of the thought of me playing for Northern Ireland and I would love to have a crack at England next year. "I'm hoping I can stay involved with the squad from now on but I guess that's down to my performances with the Blues."

Wylie's side started their preliminary group last November, with a 1-0 defeat to Turkey but wins over Georgia (4-0) and Croatia (5-1) saw them into the qualifying round proper.

A 4-0 defeat in England and a 3-1 reverse at home to the Czech Republic in May were followed by a 5-0 defeat in Belarus at the start of August, to leave Northern Ireland propping up Group 1.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u