Author Topic: 2011 decision sparks German joy  (Read 1929 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2011 decision sparks German joy
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:22:10 PM »
After FIFA's Executive Committee awarded the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup to Germany, members of the German delegation expressed their delight.

Dr. Theo Zwanziger, DFB President
We're proud and grateful that FIFA have shown confidence in us again, giving us the chance to host another World Cup, five years after holding the men's version. It's a huge honour for Germany, its people, its officials and the world of sport. This decision will without doubt provide a massive boost for the development of women's football. Women also have the right to play football, don't forget. We based our bid on fundamental values such as fair-play, respect and recognition. I would also like to praise Canada, who missed out on hosting this tournament. We won today, but the entire world of women's football will benefit from this decision in the future. This Women's World Cup represents a wonderful opportunity that we all need to seize together.

Ursula von der Leyen, Minister of Family Affairs
This is a huge opportunity and a vote of confidence. It's going to be an exceptional event. This World Cup will give women's football a real helping hand. Women play football everywhere in the world, and we want to share our enthusiasm for the game with the rest of the planet. I hope our fervour will contribute to the development of the women's game. I would also like to congratulate the DFB for their excellent bid proposal.

Birgit Prinz, Germany striker
I can't wait for this World Cup to start! It's going to be a fantastic event - a competition like we've never seen. And I'm certain the atmosphere will be absolutely fabulous.

Fatmire Bajramaj, Germany international
Thanks to all those who supported us. I really can't wait to be taking part. We'll do everything we can to not let our fans down. Like in 2006, this World Cup will first and foremost be about making friends.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ger/news/newsid=625620.html

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: 2011 decision sparks German joy
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:36:18 AM »
I thought it might be in Peru  ;D

Never mind - Germany is nearer ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(