Author Topic: Backing for GB 2012 football team  (Read 1212 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Backing for GB 2012 football team
« on: October 29, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
The British Olympic Association (BOA) is pressing ahead with plans to enter British men's and women's football teams at the 2012 Olympic Games.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has written to the BOA confirming that the host qualifying rule will apply to all team sports in London.

"We will field a team," BOA chief Simon Clegg told BBC One's Inside Sport.

"And the comfort and commitment that we've now got from the IOC just reinforces that aspiration."

The BOA's confident stance comes despite opposition from the Scottish (SFA) and Welsh (FAW) Football Associations.

The FA of Wales and the Scottish FA have never even attended the meetings

Inside Sport's Matthew Pinsent

They fear that involvement with a British Olympic team could threaten their separate status with the European and world football governing bodies, despite Fifa's assurances to the contrary.

Gordon Smith, chief executive of the SFA, reiterated his organisation's opposition to a Great Britain team.

"All the players who are registered under the association or are Scottish international players would be prohibited from playing," said Smith.

"Some individuals may want to get involved, but I don't see it as an issue."

But Clegg said the situation would be unfair on any Scottish or Welsh players forced to miss out.

Clegg said: "I would be greatly disappointed if some of our most talented football players were deprived the opportunity of competing as part of a GB team because of politics or administrators and them being unable to act in the best interests of their athletes."

Inside Sport reporter Matthew Pinsent, who spoke to Clegg and Smith, said: "In the wake of the decision in Singapore in 2005 the BOA started discussions with the Football Associations of England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland to find a way to put together a truly British team in both men's and women's competition for the Olympics.

"Whilst the English and the Northern Irish have been supportive, the FA of Wales and the Scottish FA have never even attended the meetings."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067642.stm

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Re: Backing for GB 2012 football team
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:56:20 PM »
I wonder if this is this going to be discussed in more detail on the programme tonight.

From this report and others it seems as though the 2012 GBR team will be going ahead come what may. In my personal opinion if the Scots and Welsh don't want to get involved then it's their loss. I just hope their players hold the same views as their respective FAs or they may feel very disappointed by their potential exclusion.

Offline justme!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:38:04 PM »
First we were told there was no way and now there might be a chance  ??? Definately a bit confusing, I hope they sort something out!

^^ Yep - I can read the future...ha!

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »
Yes it certainly isn't straightforward. At least with 2012 GB has definite qualification through being the host nation.

From what has been written so far it seems as though it will go ahead with whoever wants to take part from the home nations. I do hope that any objectors will have a change of heart.

There is of course no chance for China 2008, even though England managed to finish in the top 3 European teams in China.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:16:47 PM by BillyBoy »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:08:26 AM »
IOC back British team

The British Olympic Association have been encouraged by the International Olympic Committee to field a Great Britain football team in both the men's and women's competitions at the London 2012 Games.

The BOA had planned to enter teams for the London Olympics supported by the Football Association and the Northern Irish FA, but the Scottish and Welsh FA were opposed.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has always maintained a British Olympic team would not threaten the independent status of any of the associations but the two governing bodies were unmoved.

Last year the BOA insisted they would go ahead regardless and now chief executive Simon Clegg has revealed the IOC's support.
Clegg told the BBC's Inside Sport programme: "Ever since London won the Games, we've been very clear. It would be absolutely inconceivable for us to host the world's greatest sporting event in this country that includes as an integral part of that competition, football, our national sport, and for us not to field a team.

"And we will field a team and the comfort that we've got, the commitments that we've got from the IOC reinforce that aspiration.
"This will be a national celebration and I would be greatly saddened if some of our most talented players north or south of the border or west of the dyke would be deprived of the opportunity to compete as part of a Great Britain team because of sports politics or because of sports administrators unable to act in the best interests of their athletes.

"And I think the man in the street would find it absolutely unbelievable if we were staging this event and there were Olympic football events taking place up and down the country as there will be and we didn't have a GB team participating in it."

Chief executive Gordon Smith has, however, reiterated the SFA's opposition.

When asked if the SFA would try to block players from Scotland who wanted to make themselves available he stated: "I would hope that players registered with the SFA would accept our policy on the matter".

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5imIh7Caq4BkEoXAJK24LAj8a4gYg

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:40 AM »
Irish join Scots in opposing GB team

SCOTLAND and Wales have been joined by Northern Ireland in opposition to involvement with a British football team at the 2012 Olympic Games.

The British Olympic Association is pushing to field a Great Britain football team in both the men's and women's competitions when the Olympic Games are hosted in London. Simon Clegg, the chief executive of the BOA, has revealed that he has received support from the International Olympic Committee.

But the prospects of a united British team looked distant last night when it emerged that Northern Ireland, who had been happy to discuss the concept with the Football Association in England, have now gone cool on the idea and will join the Scottish and Welsh FAs in opposition to a British team.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter maintains that a British Olympic team would not threaten the independent status of any of the associations but the governing bodies of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland remain unconvinced.

The Irish FA did not rule out involvement under past president Jim Boyce, but his successor Raymond Kennedy said yesterday that he would be supporting the stance of Scotland and Wales.

"We would not want to compromise our national identity," said Kennedy.

Gordon Smith, chief executive of the SFA, underlined Scotland's opposition to a British team. "All the players who are registered under the association or are Scottish international players would be prohibited from playing," Smith told the BBC.

"Some individuals may want to get involved, but I don't see it as an issue. I would hope that players registered with the SFA would accept our policy on the matter."

http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1728362007