Author Topic: Addicks ladies to go centre stage with stadium match  (Read 1109 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Addicks ladies to go centre stage with stadium match
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »
TOP premiership clubs including Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers will play at Princes Park this year.

Tonight Charlton Athletic Women's team are due to play their first home game against Watford at Dartford FC's stadium.

The team, who play in the Premier League National Division, have reformed after being sensationally axed when the men's team were relegated.

As the main team sit 19th in the Championship, having sacked manager and former darts legend Peter Taylor on Monday, their female counterparts have a bright future.

Captain Kim Dixon, 19, of Abbey Road, Belvedere, has progressed through the ranks, having been a member of the club for a decade.

She said: "I came through the ranks and when our future was unsure a lot of players left. It was a very hard period and we lost a lot of players but I could not just turn my back on the club.

"The spirit in team is fantastic. We only have three original players so we have a lot of work to do. We have only had a month to train but we are prepared to put in the work. I have heard a lot about Dartford Football Club. The pictures and the facilities at the stadium look amazing and we are delighted to be playing there.

"We just want the fans to really get behind us. We can't wait to step out on the pitch tonight."

The deal comes a month before the club marks the first anniversary of the new £6.5 million stadium on November 11.

Charlton women's team is regarded as one of the country's most successful sides having won both the League Cup and FA Cup titles in previous years.

Jason Morgan, the Charlton Community Trust and community director, oversees the women's team.

He said: "Football is the biggest and fastest growing women's sport in the country and fans have the chance to see some of England's best players in the flesh at some superb facilities.

"We want to encourage as many Charlton fans, football fans and other Dartford residents to come out as possible to support a side that is very much part of its local community.

"And with free admission to the Watford match, you will have to go a long way to find better value-for-money entertainment."

Dartford council leader Jeremy Kite said: "I have no doubt that Charlton will prove to be a popular attraction at Princes Park and we welcome them, and their fans, to our ground."

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/content/bexley/times/news/story.aspx?brand=BXYOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsbxy&itemid=WeED11%20Oct%202007%2010%3A25%3A37%3A000