Author Topic: It's Suva's cup of joy  (Read 1205 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's Suva's cup of joy
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
SUVA women's soccer captain Lavenia Yalovi led her team to a 1-0 win over Ba clinching the Fiji Football Association Women's IDC final for the second consecutive year at Ratu Cakobau Park yesterday.

Leading the champions was a boost for the 28-year-old schoolteacher who said her side was confident from the start.

"As we entered this tournament, I assured the girls that if we maintained the great teamwork, we'd take the title again," she said.

"The bond between us was immense and that made us even more determined to come out as victors," Yalovi said.

The Kadavu woman, who first donned the national jumper at the 2003 South Pacific Games in Suva, said fitness played an important role in the win.

"Our fitness was way above the rest of the teams and that goes to show the level of our preparation and we capitalized on our opponents mistakes," she said. In a repeat of last year's final, Suva's winning goal came from Suva's right link Titilia Luveni in the second spell.

The 18-year-old Rishkul Sanatan College student also contributed the winning goal at last year's final at Govind Park where they defeated Ba on a penalty shoot out.

"The win couldn't have been better and having played alongside most of these girls from last year has made me a confident player," Luveni said.

Suva edged Rewa 1-0 in the semi-final while the Women in Black ousted Tavua 2-0.

Humble in defeat, Ba coach Mohammed Shafiq saluted his side for the great effort and said fatigue was their weakness. "My girls played the semi-final a bit longer as the game went into extra time and I guess they were tired," he said.

Sweeper Mereti Tikovasanai captained the Ba side. Fiji FA official Hari Raj Naicker said the standard of soccer among the women had thrived over the years.

"The women's playing standard has improved a lot and I must congratulate them for playing 19 games over the three days without any yellow or red card being flashed," he said.

Naicker hoped the upbeat performance is maintained in years to come. The Fiji FA will announce an under-23 squad and the Pacific Games squad today.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=55674