Author Topic: Hope Solo Won't Attend Third-Place Game  (Read 1502 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hope Solo Won't Attend Third-Place Game
« on: September 29, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »
Goalkeeper Hope Solo was benched for the U.S. women's national team's loss to Brazil in the World Cup semifinals, but she hasn't been benched for the third-place game. That's because "benched" would suggest that she's actually going to be there, sitting on the bench.

In reality, she won't even be in the stadium. Coach Greg Ryan announced that Briana Scurry will start again, and Solo will not be there.

"We have moved forward with 20 players who have stood by each other, who have battled for each other," Ryan said on Saturday. "And when the hard times came -- and the Brazil game was a hard time -- they stood strong. Now it's the 20 who have stuck together who will be ready to go out and compete against Norway."

Given Solo's comments after the loss to Brazil, Ryan may have made the right decision. But he's only in the position to make this right decision because he made the horribly wrong decision to bench Solo in the first place. I hope he enjoys the third-place game, because it will undoubtedly be his last as the national team coach.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/29/hope-solo-wont-attend-third-place-game/

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hope Solo Won't Attend Third-Place Game
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
And some of the comments -

Reader Comments ( Page 1 of 1)

1. My thoughts are that coach Ryan is trying to say all the right things to get the heat off what has become the BIGGEST mistake in Sports History. Prior to going to the World Cup he stated that Hope was the USA number 1 goal keeper and there by stating she was our best chance in goal to win Gold. Then for NO GOOD reason after what was one of the best games by the USA vs England he makes a decision that would destroy the team chemistry and ruin the USA chance at Gold. I love how the media has jumped all over a few words and twisted them to create a news story. I believe what Hope meant and said was that she beleived that she currently was the best choice and still is. Not that Bri isn't a great goal keeper but in sports you don't base decisions on past acculades but on current performances. Coach Ryan is and will be the primary reason for everyone of the USA players dreams and hard work falling short. What myself and many other USA Soccer fans see and believe is that she still is the best choice. I also believe that as a keeper that had seen all of the previous minutes of play in the world cup as well as 90% of the play minutes prior to the world cup shewould have had a lot better chance of stooping those goals. She was in the zone so to speak. Special thanks to coach Ryan for not only ruining the dreams of his players but the dreams and hopes of many young girls that aspire to see the USA women's win gold. Now we must wait another 4 years because one man wanted to get some attention for himself and do something that no one in there right mind would do. You created this mess coach Ryan and many think that if you spend all of your time doing your job then get on the job and fix this mess. Also, taking pot shots at Hope in your media interviews. What you said about how deep the goal keeper position is and basically leading everyone to believe that Hope is not needed is in my book exactly doing what you everyone is accussing her of doing. As a USA soccer Fan and supporter Ryan save some face and when you get home and please resign. You have done way more to hurt women's soccer than anybody in our brief history of the sport in the USA.
Posted at 9:24AM on Sep 29th 2007 by Rod

2. Coach Ryan must have his personal agenda. He has the right to play any body in the team to win but not to lost the game. He has many options to tactfully substitute the players durling the game. Changed the goalie did not cause the Brazil to win but the moral of the U.S. team lost the game.
Posted at 10:08AM on Sep 29th 2007 by peter Kochaphum

3. ugh, this ryan character is a piece of work. the whole keeper switch was a lame attempt at making himself look like some coaching genius when he should have just left it alone. and now he's grandstanding over solo's comments to take the heat off of himself. narcissistic jerk, who'd be fearing for his life had this been the men's cup in a more soccer crazed nation...

solo's absolutely correct in her statements. the near post goals that scurry allowed were weak and would've been saved by a keeper more used to gamespeed. i probably wouldn't have said what she said just to avoid the heat, but it was refreshing to hear someone tell it like it is...
Posted at 10:52AM on Sep 29th 2007 by travy

4. She turned her back on the team. Everyone understands she may have gotten a raw deal. But she was also warned by a soccer official not to cause any problems before she was interviewed and she didn't listen. She should have publicly said she was sorry. Ryan isn't that bad this is his only loss in the last 50 games. Could you imagine a benched QB telling the press he would have played better and won the game?

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
Re: Hope Solo Won't Attend Third-Place Game
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
she has to come back again
ryan  has to be fired