Author Topic: England women face tough US test  (Read 817 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
England women face tough US test
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »
England will face the United States in the quarter-finals of the Women's World Cup on Saturday.
The US beat Nigeria 1-0, courtesy of a first-minute goal from Lori Chalupny, to top Group B and set up the showdown.

Chalupny's shot was deflected in off Ulumma Jerome after she latched on to a Abby Wambach flick-on from a long throw in the first minute.

Wambach also had a header tipped over the bar and, despite pressure from Nigeria, an unconvincing US held on.

The US team were regarded as one of the favourites to win the tournament before it started but they were content to sit on their one-goal advantage to confirm their progress.

They were more keen to snuff out any threat from Nigeria rather than extend their lead, even though an equaliser from their rivals could have seen them finish second in the group.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/7000836.stm

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: England women face tough US test
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:32:52 AM »
In the Nigeria game they defended their 1-0 win with some not-good looking time wasting at the corner flag in the last 5 minutes.  They looked desperate  -  something to give England hope for the match.

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Re: England women face tough US test
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:09:23 PM »
It will certainly be interesting come Saturday. Although the USA have not looked brilliant they have still won the 'group of death', so I would personally expect them to beat England. I would go for 2-0. Maybe we could have another poll.  :)

Looking back on England's group I have to say that it wasn't the strongest in my opinion. Argentina were a massive disappointment considering they were the South American champions.

I never thought England looked like actually beating Germany, although the point they earned was a great achievement and gave them the foundation for the final game.

England have not yet beaten a 'big team' in the tournament, or indeed France in qualifying, so Saturday will be a very stern test for them. It is knock-out football from now on though, so I'll obviously have my fingers crossed for them.