Author Topic: England v Belarus  (Read 2269 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
England v Belarus
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:01:14 PM »
England return to Walsall
Friday, 14 September 2007.

England v Belarus
12.30pm, Saturday 27 October 2007
Banks's Stadium, Walsall FC

The England Women’s team, currently in China for the FIFA Women's World Cup 2007, will continue their 2009 UEFA European Women's Championship qualifying campaign against Belarus at the Banks's Stadium, Walsall on Saturday 27 October.

England opened their campaign for a place in Finland 2009 with a 4-0 win over Northern Ireland at Gillingham in May, and their group also contains the Czech Republic and Spain. Belarus are currently 40th in the FIFA rankings, whilst England currently sit in 12th.

That was before England opened their FIFA Women's World Cup 2007 fixtures with a 2-2 draw against Japan, and with Germany - the reigning World and European champions up next tonight - interest in the team has never been bigger.

"The profile of the women's game continues to increase and with the World Cup televised at home, we hope to have made many more fans who will hopefully come out and support us on our return" said England Head Coach Hope Powell.

The last time England played at Walsall in May 2005, the Czech Republic went into an early lead, before four second half goals - two from local Walsall girl Rachel Unitt, and an audacious Kelly Smith lob from all of 40 yards - saw England to victory in front of 6,869 fans.

"We are delighted to be staging the England versus Belarus fixture here at the Banks's Stadium" said Walsall Chief Executive, Roy Whalley.

"We recognise the growth in women's football both nationally and globally and are pleased to be hosting such an important game once again in the West Midlands.

"It promises to be a great occasion especially if the England team arrive here on the back of a successful Word Cup campaign, which we sincerely hope they do."

Tickets for both games are on sale now priced £5 for adults and £2.50 for concessions and can be purchased via the Ticket Hotline on 0871 663 0111.

Special group discounts are also available for groups of over 15 see the links above

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/09/WomenWalsall.htm

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: England v Belarus
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
Hope names squad
Tuesday, 16 October 2007.

England v Belarus
UEFA Women's European Championship
Qualifying Round, Group One
12.30pm, Saturday 27 October 2007
Banks's Stadium, Walsall FC

Hope Powell has named her 20-player squad for the upcoming Euro 2009 qualifier with Belarus, with the squad largely unchanged from that which took part in the World Cup last month.

The only omission is due to the allowance for only 20 players for the qualifier at Walsall, as opposed to the 21 available for China, therefore Carly Telford misses out this time around.

Having already begun the qualification process before the World Cup, England have the foundation of a 4-0 victory over Northern Ireland to build upon and Hope Powell is eager to hit the ground running after the World Cup.

Powell told TheFA.com: "We now need to reinvigorate ourselves, there's another prize to play for. That's the beauty of football, we now have the European Championship in Finland as our goal.

"We have to put the challenge to the players and ask them how far they want to go. There's obviously a downer after a major tournament, you have committed yourself so much to one thing and then it's over. Everyone involved needs time to get over that, but obviously our timing is very short as we're already back together as a squad in less than a month.

"In one sense it is good that this game has come around so quickly, for those fans who supported us during the World Cup the opportunity is there to watch us from the stand as opposed to TV. We're expecting and hoping that a lot of people come out and support the girls, and they deserve it."

England Squad

Rachel Brown (Everton)
Siobhan Chamberlain (Chelsea)
Rachel Unitt (Everton)
Casey Stoney (Chelsea)
Alex Scott (Arsenal)
Mary Phillip (Arsenal)
Faye White (Arsenal)
Lindsay Johnson (Everton)
Anita Asante (Arsenal)
Katie Chapman (Arsenal)
Jill Scott (Everton)
Fara Williams  (Everton)
Kelly Smith  (Arsenal)
Vicky Exley  (Doncaster Rovers Belles)
Jody Handley (Everton)
Sue Smith  (Leeds United)
Eniola Aluko  (Chelsea)
Karen Carney  (Arsenal)
Rachel Yankey (Arsenal)
Lianne Sanderson (Arsenal)

Tickets for both games are on sale now priced £5 for adults and £2.50 for concessions and can be purchased via the Ticket Hotline on 0871 663 0111.

Special group discounts are also available for groups of over 15 see the links above

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/10/EngBelarus_squadAn.htm

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
Walsall are now selling tickets for the last remaining stand so should be close to a sell out hopefully

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
Walsall are now selling tickets for the last remaining stand so should be close to a sell out hopefully

The fact that its on a saturday and clashes with mens football doesnt seem to be doing it any harm then... lets hope its the last time though...
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »
Maybe getting a boost from the World Cup showing too

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

They haven't sent my ticket yet, better do so soon...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

footiechick

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
I got mine on Monday.Only rang up the Thursday before.Dont worry,you'll get it soon.Remember we've had postal strikes!

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »
I got mine on Monday.Only rang up the Thursday before.Dont worry,you'll get it soon.Remember we've had postal strikes!

I phoned them yesterday and they had some hitch with my credit card but it got sorted out and it came through the post today seems to be a good seat too.....

Offline Oldship30

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »
A friend got our tickets for us, which she got on Friday, she phoned Walsall to see out if we could move to a different stand and was told it was sold out, I had presumed they hadn't opened all the stands but I gather from David's post that they have so it sounds like it's a full house, how brilliant is that!
The girls are used to a lot of noise after China so let's show them how much we appreicate them and cheer, drum and whistle as loud as we can. ;D

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:07 AM »
Oh bugger - I was hoping to pay at the gate  :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Oh bugger - I was hoping to pay at the gate  :(

If you're quick you might still get a ticket....

Offline justme!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »
That's brilliant that the game may have sold out  ;D Shame it's not on TV...have been so used to seeing women's football on the box now  ::)

^^ Yep - I can read the future...ha!

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
That's brilliant that the game may have sold out  ;D Shame it's not on TV...have been so used to seeing women's football on the box now  ::)

You not going then? Shame on you JM :)

I actually phoned today and asked for 2 tickets - she had to search a bit for 2 seats together, but there are obviously still some seats available.
And I don't have to worry about the postal strikes etc - just pick them up when I get there   ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(