Author Topic: England Ladies Squad for Belarus game  (Read 1117 times)

Offline xena

• View Profile
    • Everton Ladies Fans
England Ladies Squad for Belarus game
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »
Wednesday, 17 October 2007, 10:33

Six Everton players have been named in the England squad for upcoming Euro 2009 qualifier with Belarus on October 27.

Fara Williams and other Toffees stars are amongst the 20-strong party that largely remains unchanged from the World Cup squad that travelled to China in September.

England started the qualification process before the World Cup with a 4-0 victory over Northern Ireland and Hope Powell’s side will be looking to build upon the impressive performances in China.

England squad:

Rachel Brown (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Chelsea), Faye White, Alex Scott, Mary Phillip (all Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Chelsea), Rachel Unitt, Lindsay Johnson, Fara Williams, Jill Scott (all Everton), Anita Asante, Katie Chapman, Kelly Smith (all Arsenal) Vicky Exley (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Sue Smith (Leeds United), Rachel Yankey, Lianne Sanderson, Karen Carney (all Arsenal), Jody Handley (Everton), Eniola Aluko (Chelsea)

Source: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/23125/england-ladies-squad-announced.html
Everton Ladies Fans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Sportlobster

"Once a blue, always a blue"

Offline Oldship30

• View Profile
Re: England Ladies Squad for Belarus game
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
Hope Unitt gets a run out seeing as it's her home town, especailly seeing she didn't get any play in China and her Family stayed out there for the whole tournament.

shlj

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »
I am a bit surprised that the coaching staff did not make a clean break
after the world cup and starts to select new or previously capped players
that did not travel to the WC. Normally, a 4 year cycle ends up after a world cup,
there is a post-mortem and analysis of what went wrong and what can be improved
but to call up exactly the same squad seems like saying  : we had a  good world cup
( which is accurate ) and everybody did well and deserve to stay in the squad ( I would say some people definitely did and some did not).   
I know form is not everything but a look at the goalscorer timetable is a strong indication of who is form and who is not for striker job. Also any English center forward who manages to score in the womens' UEFA cup
i.e. score at the highest european club level should be in the reckoning IMO. 

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »
I am a bit surprised that the coaching staff did not make a clean break
after the world cup and starts to select new or previously capped players
that did not travel to the WC. Normally, a 4 year cycle ends up after a world cup,
there is a post-mortem and analysis of what went wrong and what can be improved
but to call up exactly the same squad seems like saying  : we had a  good world cup
( which is accurate ) and everybody did well and deserve to stay in the squad ( I would say some people definitely did and some did not).   
I know form is not everything but a look at the goalscorer timetable is a strong indication of who is form and who is not for striker job. Also any English center forward who manages to score in the womens' UEFA cup
i.e. score at the highest european club level should be in the reckoning IMO. 
Who are you talking about there?
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(