Author Topic: World Cup Predictions  (Read 4391 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
World Cup Predictions
« on: September 08, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
In my latest hare brained scheme I have spent some time trying to cobble a script for the men's World Cup 2006 into one that might work for the Women's World Cup 2007....A PHP programmer I am not so I have no idea whether this is going to work or bomb so I haven't really pushed it at all but thought it might be interesting if we could get it to work over the coming week or so....

You can find it here -

http://www.womens-soccer.net/

There are a couple of things I know don't work - the wallchart is hardcoded for Germany 2006 which had a lot more groups and also had a last sixteen section before the quarters (which is one of the biggest problems I have had in trying to follow the code for the maths of it all !) and I have had trouble trying to get any new icon that I upload to display at all....

Please have a bash if you want but don't spend ages on it in case it turns out to be a disaster 

I always figure we could make it work in an emergency with a pencil, paper and an abacus if we need to !! 

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Predictions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »
Managed to update the table now...Rob the early leader with BB in hot pursuit  :D

www.womens-soccer.net

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »
Table updated and Rob and BB now neck and neck  :D

I think BB might be about to surge into the lead as he got the North Korea - Nigeria score spot on I think....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:05:48 PM by David »

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:13:40 PM »
Yippee! What are the prizes?  :D

Seriously though, are the Quarterfinals onwards scored in the same manner?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »
Prizes  ::)  :D

As far as I am aware the scoring sytem is the same throughout.....

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »
Gee with all the crazy scores going about I'm amazed anyone has any points at all, gee I've dropped from second to third, oh bottom...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:16:05 PM »
When the World Cup is finished are you going to do preditions for the league campaign?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »
I'm not sure Toad....This was a bit of a dry run to see if there was any interest and how hard it would be....This is a version of the mens 2006 World Cup script so it has the quarters and semi's format etc..I would have to delete this one and then install the mens premiership version..and then amend that for the womens game...it would be a fair bit of work if I can remember what I did to get this one working !  :D

Is there any interest in this ? I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more interest in the World Cup one and some people signed up and then never entered any predictions at all.....Then of course there was the infamous cheating scandal....

Let me know if anyone would like to have a go and if is worthwhile I will see what I can do..the mens premier script may be different so I don't know how long it will take. I'll look into it if people are interested....

Offline Rob

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:29 AM »
Isn't it a bit late to start predictions for the Women's Premierleague seeing as it started a few weeks ago......although you could always submit your predictions after you know the result I suppose.  ;D

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »
A league prediction game wouldn't really be a problem as it could start and end anytime...you only enter predictions for anything entered into the thing after all....It's just whether you get the predictions for those games correct, not dependent upon it being a full season....You could just do one for all Arsenal games from now on or Everton games if you wanted too....

However as no one seems to be interested and I also mentioned it in a Myspace bulletin and didn't get so much as a single reply I guess it's a none starter anyway !  :D

......although you could always submit your predictions after you know the result I suppose.  ;D

Yes couldn't you just !  >:(  :D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »
I think doing a league predition game would be quite good theres still bags of games to go and there is the FA Cup as well.  If you present a game people will join in, maybe...