Author Topic: World Cup Predictions  (Read 3599 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
World Cup Predictions
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
In my latest hare brained scheme I have spent some time trying to cobble a script for the men's World Cup 2006 into one that might work for the Women's World Cup 2007....A PHP programmer I am not so I have no idea whether this is going to work or bomb so I haven't really pushed it at all but thought it might be interesting if we could get it to work over the coming week or so....

You can find it here -

http://www.womens-soccer.net/

There are a couple of things I know don't work - the wallchart is hardcoded for Germany 2006 which had a lot more groups and also had a last sixteen section before the quarters (which is one of the biggest problems I have had in trying to follow the code for the maths of it all !) and I have had trouble trying to get any new icon that I upload to display at all....

Please have a bash if you want but don't spend ages on it in case it turns out to be a disaster  :D

I always figure we could make it work in an emergency with a pencil, paper and an abacus if we need to !!  :D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: World Cup Predictions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
The predictor seems to work okay can't do much with the wallchart though, don't suppose it matters much...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
Yes the wallchart is a whole seperate PHP code file so I would have to go through and change all of that and manually enter everything again...As we are so close to the kick off I won't have time really....and I didn't think it was essential especially as the World Cup Fairgame has a wallchart in the centre pages that people can use with most of that info on already....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:18:02 AM »
If you click "My Predictions" then you can enter all of the Group stage ones at once instead of doing them one at a time...

Don't forget to click the "Predict" button at the bottom to save your scores !!!!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 12:19:39 AM »
Seven members so far although the two most recent haven't entered any predictions yet ?  ???

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »
Ten members so far but three don't appear to have entered any predictions  ??? Better get a move on if you want all your scores to count as the first game is tomorrow !

You can enter all of your scores at once in the My Predictions screen and then you need to click the Predict button at the bottom to save them !

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
Do you have to put all your group game predictions in before the tournament starts? Or can you do it bit by bit as it all unravels?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »
You can do it anytime I believe....I did a few of mine and then went back and did a few more....I am just puzzled why some people have signed up and then don't seem to have entered anything at all ! :)

I am assuming that once the result has been entered then it will disappear of the list where you can enter the scores.....I've never used it before and there's not much in the way of instructions  :D

As an aside to that I have been told that I am working away in Hertfordshire for part of next week with customary terrible timing by my company  >:( I won't have much net access so I will be heading to the local library after work or something probably...So the results won't be updated straight away after the game until i can get online.....Just in case anyone thinks I have gone awol at the most important part of the year !  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:02:47 PM by David »

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:02:49 PM »
Maybe they are "keeping their powder dry".  :D

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 11:14:54 PM »
Maybe they are !  :D

Still room for more before the big kick off tomorrow....We have 15 in now (although still with three who haven't entered anything yet!)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »
Yes the wallchart is a whole seperate PHP code file so I would have to go through and change all of that and manually enter everything again...As we are so close to the kick off I won't have time really....and I didn't think it was essential especially as the World Cup Fairgame has a wallchart in the centre pages that people can use with most of that info on already....

I think you can down load it from they're site as well...

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
After today's result these predictions could be a real challenge.  :)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »
I've borrowed the hotel's reception computer to make a quick few posts and am away until thursday night so will have limited net access until I get back Thursday evening...I will enter the results from here although it doesn't seem to have created a league like I would have expected it too as most people should have got a point for saying a German win....Please bear with me and I'll sort it out as soon as I can  ;)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »
Holly crap 11-0 ha ha hah ahahah.....

Offline becky09

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 07:58:33 PM »
poor argentina... guess they wernt at the races today eh!
Champions of Norway!!!!!

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 12:16:21 PM »
With this mornings result Korea drawingf 2-2 with US, I suppose there will be a lot of shocks to come....

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »
Well I have now got the table showing....it appears to update a day behind the results....

Don't forget to enter the rest of your predictions if you haven't already...

I should be back home tomorrow evening so normal service should resume then...well as normal as we veer get around here !  :D I might be away again some time next week too though...Grrrrr  >:(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:31:16 PM by David »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »
Did anyone happen to be online to see if it works okay now and certain unscupulous individuals can't change their predictions after the games have ended to be miraculously correct ?  ;)