Author Topic: Fara Williams  (Read 10214 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Fara Williams
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »
Fara fired up for Final
by Stuart Mawhinney. Wednesday, 20 February 2008.
Everton v Arsenal

The FA Tesco Women's Premier League Cup Final
7.35pm, Thursday 28 February 2008
Matchroom Stadium, Leyton Orient FC

Fara Williams says that the time is right for Everton to win their first silverware in a decade, and they will be attacking Arsenal in their bid for glory.

Everton have reached a number of finals in recent years, and chased Arsenal for recent Premier League titles, but their last trophy came in 1998 when they were crowned League Champions - but Williams says everyone is determined to change that.

"It's not just me personally, everyone at Everton wants success, and that's our aim," Williams revealed.

"We know that Arsenal are ahead of us, and they won all four trophies last season, but our ambition is to get as close to them as possible.

"Our aim is to go out and win this one. In the past we've looked to defend and stop them playing, but we're going to try and win it so it will be a different game.

"We want to be in as many finals and big games as we can. We want to be seen as one of the big teams in the Premier League - and I think we are the best team after Arsenal."

While Everton have not previously lifted the FA Women's Premier League Cup, Williams was part of the Charlton side that defeated Fulham in 2004 and she is determined to add another medal to her collection.

"Any Cup Final is massive, but to get there with Charlton was a huge achievement and with Arsenal not getting there it was even more special," Williams remarked looking back.

"To beat a Fulham side who were professional just a year earlier was fantastic.

"They had some top players still playing there but we managed to scrape a 1-0 win which was satisfying."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeagueCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/02/FAWPLC_FaraPreview.htm

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 04:07:30 PM »
Crunch clash for Lions
by Stuart Mawhinney
Wednesday, 19 March 2008.

England v Czech Republic

UEFA Women's European Championship
Qualifying Round, Group One
7.05pm, Thursday 20 March 2008
Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster Rovers FC

Fara Williams believes that Thursday's game will be crucial for England's hopes of maintaining their recent progress and take another step towards Finland next year.

England made their mark at the World Cup in China last September, and now Williams says that the next aim is going even further at the European Championship - but the hard work starts here.

Williams told TheFA.com: "After doing so well at the World Cup we have that belief now; going into this qualifying campaign we had more confidence that we could get there.

"We want to qualify for tournaments regularly and try to win things when we get to them, that's our level of expectation now.

"That starts in qualifiers and we need to make sure we get a good performance and a win."

With tonight's game already England's last home qualifier, Williams wants to see a positive performance and the result required.

"It's our last home game before we have to play three abroad, so we need to set ourselves up for those matches with three points," Williams explained.

"It's going to be tough, and without Kelly (Smith) it's going to be a different game for us, with her being suspended it will be difficult.

"You don't want to miss any match, especially with England, every game is a big game.

"She's a big game player and will be a big loss for us, we know how she's feeling and it's up to us now to go out and win the game not just for her, but for ourselves."

One of the undoubted highlights of the domestic campaign for Williams has been the triumph in The FA Women's Premier League Cup Final.

"We had that belief going into the game with Arsenal, we arrived at the stadium and we still believed and no one had any doubt during the game that we could do it.

"Hopefully there's going to be many more trophies to come for this team, hopefully it's the start of something special."

For ticket details call 01302 762 576

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/03/EngCzech_FaraWilliams.htm

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
thought ad bring fara back up here... respect to her am sure many american teams ave been after her and by looks shes no plans to go.... 100% commited to england and english football i see

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:42 PM »
You shouldn't have brought her back - there are Americans around who might notice ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
.....there are Americans around who might notice ;)

:D I think she might be on the shopping list for Philadelphia or Atlanta should she have a good Euros - which I expect she will.

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
gi mi five am gunna ask haha

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
.....there are Americans around who might notice ;)

:D I think she might be on the shopping list for Philadelphia or Atlanta should she have a good Euros - which I expect she will.

If Everton win the league they might have a look at a couple of players there..

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 01:51:45 AM »
a hear mo be after d yanks n chasing em off

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
a hear mo be after d yanks n chasing em off

I can just imagine...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline xena

• View Profile
    • Everton Ladies Fans
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
Faz will NOT be going to USA end of......

J x
Everton Ladies Fans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Sportlobster

"Once a blue, always a blue"

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
Faz will NOT be going to USA end of......

J x
That's the way J - you tell em ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 03:25:25 AM »
'Everyone is buzzing'
Thursday, 12 March 2009.

England 3 Canada 1
England (Sanderson 32, K Smith 40, Williams 45+1)
Canada (Sinclair 14)

Cyprus Cup
International Friendly Tournament
The Final
Thursday 12 March 2009
Larnaca, Cyprus

Extract from FA report

After England lifted the Cyprus Cup skipper Fara Williams said that the confidence from this victory would provide a major boost as the Three Lions prepare for the European Championship in August.

Williams captained Hope Powell's side to a 3-1 victory over Canada in the final on Thursday and the Everton midfielder believes that the taste of victory will only leave the England players wanting more.

Williams told TheFA.com: "It's fantastic, everyone is buzzing after winning the final and it's a great feeling to be part of it.

"Canada are a strong team, if you look back on the previous two meetings they beat us by four goals on both occasions, so this is real progress."

Williams was one of ten different scorers as England ran in 14 goals in just four games, and she admits that she has been practising free-kicks after another rocket of a set-piece in first-half injury time made it an uphill task for the Canadians.

"I suppose it was important to go into the break with a two-goal lead as opposed to being just one ahead," Williams explained. "Scoring that close to the interval gave us a lot of confidence and we really had the belief that we wouldn't get beaten.

"I've been practising my free-kicks, I got one recently for Everton that was pretty similar but it's always pleasing when they come off in matches.

"Winning is always a great way to build momentum and this experience will be very important for all the players who were part of it. We set the target of winning and having achieved that we have to move on and set new goals leading up to the Euros in August. It's an exciting time."

England
1 Rachel Brown, 2 Alex Scott, 3 Casey Stoney, 4 Fara Williams (C), 5 Anita Asante, 6 Steph Houghton, 7 Karen Carney, 8 Jill Scott, 9 Lianne Sanderson (16 Eniola Aluko, 71), 10 Kelly Smith, 11 Sue Smith

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/03/CyprusCup_reaction.htm

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 12:32:03 AM »
Fara ready for Toffees' opener

by James Masters - Friday, 25 September, 2009

Fara Williams has put her Euro heartache behind her.

Everton LFC v Nottingham Forest LFC
The FA Tesco Women's Premier League
2pm, Sunday 27 September 2009
Marine FC

Fara Williams is adamant her Euro heartbreak will not prevent her from starting the new season in style with Everton Ladies.

The 25-year-old midfielder, who was part of the side which lost out to Germany in a pulsating Final in Finland, has already set her sights on leading the Toffees to the title.

The girls were left gutted last season after losing out to eventual champions Arsenal on goal difference following a painful 1-0 defeat against the Gunners on the final day.

The memories of missing out on a first League title since 1998 still haunt the Everton captain, but she remains positive going into this weekend's opener against Nottingham Forest.

"To lose out in the Final was a blow but the girls are all buzzing ahead of the new season and everyone is ready to go," said Williams, who was named International Player of the Year in 2007.

"There were seven Everton girls out there and some of them didn't get that much game time in Finland so they're really keen to show what they can do.

"We did so well last year and we were only one point away from an Arsenal team which has dominated for so many years.

"They're always going to be up there because they can attract great players and they have a fantastic team. But for women's football in this country it's great to have such quality teams."

Williams is set to start against Forest and the 2009 Club Player of the Year reckons her girls are in for a tough test on the opening day of the new season.

She added: "Forest gave us some really good games last season and are tough team to play against.

"Because we've been doing so well, we're seen as a bit of a scalp now and teams always raise their game to beat us. But we put so much pressure on ourselves that it doesn't matter what the other team does.

"We have to go out there and play to our potential and if we do that then we should win the game."

http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/WomensPremierLeague/NewsAndFeatures/2009/ForestEvertonFara.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
Fara demands more

by Nicholas Veevers
Wednesday, 28 October, 2009

Hat-trick hero looking at the bigger picture after 8-0 win.

England’s hat-trick hero Fara Williams believes the players have to be more demanding of themselves, despite clocking up an 8-0 victory over Malta last weekend.

It was the first World Cup qualifying game of this campaign for Hope Powell’s side and whilst the win was paramount, Williams believes they should have added more goals to give themselves a better chance of reaching the Finals in Germany in the long term.

“The first aim was to get three points and that’s what we did,” said Williams, speaking to TheFA.com after the game.

“And the second aim was to get as many goals as we could because it could come down to goal difference in the end and Spain have already scored 13 against Malta.

“It’s good to get back playing for England and to get a win though and there are lots that we can take from this game, because against teams like Malta, with all respect, our quality just wasn’t good enough.

“We need to demand more of each other if we are to be able to go and beat the likes of the Germans in Finals.

“If we don’t demand more from ourselves against the lesser teams, it’s going to be a struggle for us against the better opposition.”

The Everton midfielder still managed to help herself to three goals in the game though, although she felt it could have been more both for her and the team against a limited Maltese side.

“I’m delighted to score and it’s not often you score a hat-trick for England,” she admitted. “But at the same time, I’m a bit disappointed that I wasn’t able to score more because there were opportunities there that I really should’ve taken and obviously I wasn’t clinical enough in front of goal.

“All of the games now are important though. Turkey in November will be a little bit harder for us but we’ll probably have a bit more information on them.”

http://www.thefa.com/England/WomensSeniorTeam/FAMatchCentre/2009/EnglandMalta/PostMatchReports/fara_williams_281009.aspx

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
Everton's Fara Williams declines move to American league

• England midfielder will not be joining Philadelphia

England's player-drain to the American Women's Professional Soccer league has been stemmed, temporarily at least, with the decision of the Everton captain Fara Williams to turn down the chance to join Philadelphia Independence.

Williams, who today scored the victory-clinching goal as Everton reached the FA Cup final with a 2‑0 win against Barnet, has in the last 12 months seen seven of her national team colleagues cross the Atlantic to become full-time professionals in the new league.

But the 26 year-old midfielder, after a long spell of deliberation, chose to stay in England. "It was very difficult to make up my mind," said Williams. "The American league is much stronger than ours and it was a great opportunity, but I really didn't want to leave Everton and everything I've got here – and hopefully I'll be playing in our new Super League next year."

Everton are expected to be named as one of the eight founder members of the Football Association's Super League, which Williams hopes will follow the lead of the US by importing players. "We will need good foreign players to make the league as competitive as possible," said the midfielder, who currently works as an FA skills coach.

"The league would be more attractive with foreign stars involved," she added, "and playing against those top players on a regular basis would definitely help raise standards among English players."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/14/fara-williams-everton-american-league

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
I knew I always like her..... ;)
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 02:34:02 AM »

She has left Arsenal for Reading Ladies - new article by Sylvain:

- http://dailycannon.com/2017/08/fara-williams-leaves-arsenal-and-joins-reading-women/

Williams leaves the London club with her reputation intact but her pride dented after failing to perform as well as she would have liked.