Author Topic: England Under-17  (Read 64411 times)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Re: England Under-17
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2008, 08:43:49 AM »
woke and read this, was quite shocked....but well done ladies!!!! I hope they make the final and make a few headlines on Thursday.

English joy as Japan pay penalty
England's U-17 women are through to the last four at Japan's expense after triumphing in a quarter-final penalty shoot-out, the hurdle at which so many English teams have fallen at major tournaments.

Having scored 17 goals in three thrilling group games, the Japanese - New Zealand 2008's great entertainers - began this match as overwhelming favourites, and the opening exchanges looked to be adhering to the expected script.

Indeed, it took only eight minutes for the Young Nadeshiko to take a deserved lead, with Mana Iwabuchi slipping a delightful reverse pass through the English defence with the outside of her foot to release Chinatsu Kira. The Japan No9 obliged with a finish worthy of the assist, angling a right-foot shot just inside the far post.

England seemed unable to cope with their Asian opponents' skill and movement at this stage, but they rallied as half-time approached and went into the break boosted by a quite brilliant equaliser. Lucy Staniforth claimed it, punishing some hesitancy in the Japan defence by bursting dynamically through a crowded midfield area before smashing home a terrific, low right-foot shot from 20 yards.

Lois Fidler's side barely deserved this equaliser, but they improved massively in the second half, subduing Japan by holding a high defensive line and pressing the the Japanese midfielders and forwards at every opportunity. Yet with eight minutes reaming, Iwabuchi looked to have secured victory when she escaped the close marking of Lucy Bronze for the first time in the second half, cut inside and thumped the ball past Lauren Davey from close range.

That, however, was until Isobel Christiansen provided a bolt from the blue in injury time, finding the top left-hand corner from fully 40 yards to produce a surefire contender for goal of the tournament. Extra time failed to yield a winner, so the game went to penalties, where Davey and Gemma Bonner emerged as England's heroines, the former saving from Natsumi Kameoka and the latter firing home a superb winning kick.
source: Fifa.com
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:47:33 AM by Rach_83 »

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
Yep that was a surprise as Japan were the form side....

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »
On Eurosport someone said a while ago that youth teams tire easily and would be better off playing two 40-minute sessions on the pitch.  This idea was kicked out of sight today when Japan met England at the World Cup and the teams had hardly let the furious pace slip after 120 minutes.

The fitness and form of all the Under-17 teams at the tournament in New Zealand shows that women's football will be a force to reckon with in years to come.  England today showed their sticking power by refusing to buckle under strong pressure from the tournament's favourites.  An equaliser in stoppage time at the end of each half was enough to take England through to extra time and penalties.

From ten penalties that were on target, England's Lauren Davey snapped up the only one to be saved, and England now go through into exalted company in the semis with North Korea, USA and Germany - Asia, America and Europe's finest.  Apart from Davey England's heroes are led by 15-year-old skipper Jordan Nobbs, striker Danielle Carter, and not least today's scorers Lucy Staniforth with a rocket from 20 yards and Isobel Christiansen who let rip with a 40-yard shocker to stun Japan after 90+2 minutes.

England
1 Lauren DAVEY -
2 Rachel DALY (14 Stephanie MARSH 58'), 3 Naomi CHADWICK, 6 Gemma BONNER, 7 Rebecca JANE (19 Paige ELI 106') -
8 Jordan NOBBS (c), 9 Danielle CARTER, 11 Lucy STANIFORTH (18 Rachel PITMAN 106') -
10 Isobel CHRISTIANSEN, 12 Lucy BRONZE, 16 Lauren BRUTON

Substitutes Not Used
13 Amy CARR, 21 Juliana DRAYCOTT, 15 Jemma ROSE, 17 Sarah WILTSHIRE, 20 Kirsty LINNETT

A lot more on www.thefa.com
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 10:03:49 PM »
What a cracking goal by Christiansen.  I remember being told a year or so ago that she was a name to look for in the future.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

shlj

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »
Tonight at 1 am England Germany for the 3rd place play off

shlj

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
actually it's 1 am CET live now germany 1-0 up already

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
first time i've watch the U17, not sure I can last another 45mins of this though.... England seem to get to just inside their own half and then don't drive forward at all  ??? i understand not wanting to be caught on the counter attack but they could at least try it once.

shlj

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »
you are harsh on the poor girls  ;) germany are a lot better, england are doing their best, they don't have a playmaker so they are building up play as they can

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
playmaker or not its a team game .....one player can't win a game for you, *cough* kelly - Arsenal *cough*   ;)

They are better in the second half.  :)

shlj

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »
lol 2-0 game over, I am going to bed...

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
4th . . . in the WORLD . . . England's U-17s did us proud, anyone who missed the Japan match missed a real treat.  The Under-20s next week have a standard to live up to.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »
Great effort by the under 17 team despite two defeats at the end. A great team effort to compete with the best in the world at their age. They must have learnt so much and can go on to the next age group World Cup with confidence. Hope the under 20 team can build on their European final in 2007 and have a good run despite missing key players.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
playmaker or not its a team game .....one player can't win a game for you, *cough* kelly - Arsenal *cough*   ;)

Arsenal proved this season, they can win without their star'playmaker'.... ;)
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »

Arsenal proved this season, they can win without their star'playmaker'.... ;)
And they can get hammered with their star playmaker  :'(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
Goal of the Tournament

"I've no idea where that one came from! I've never scored a goal like it." So said a disbelieving Isobel Christiansen, looking back on her remarkable strike in England's quarter-final with Japan.

By anyone's standards, it was a dream goal, finding the top left-hand corner from fully 40 yards. Christiansen's strike was also as vital as it was spectacular, restoring parity deep into injury time and paving the way for England to snatch victory in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

The FIFA.com users certainly appreciated the quality and significance of the goal, with Christiansen coming out on top both in number of votes and in the average rating her strike received. As for the best of the rest, the tournament's adidas Silver Ball winner, Dzsenifer Marozsan, again had to make do with second place, her lobbed volley against Costa Rica beating Rafaelle's stunning free-kick to the runners-up spot.

fifa.com

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
It was a great strike - the timing in the match made it even more dramatic.....must keep an eye out ( and vote) for the winner in the current tournament. Toni Duggan may not win it but England age group teams have a flair for last minute drama ! The first French goal yesterday would be my contender so far, perfect cross and volley finish.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »
Yes Pat - the timing makes the goals even more important ;)

It's hard to say how anyone could rate, say, Isobelle's goal if it came in the middle of a 5-0 win  ???

But - it was a really excellent and important goal :)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
The FIFA technical report is now available in 4 languages it is a good read.
I enjoy reading those reports they are really informative and available for all competitions.
The U20 is not available yet.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/technicaldevp/98/62/14/fu17wwcnzl08.pdf

shlj

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »
Lois Fidler has named her England U17 squad for a forthcoming training camp in February.

The squad is made up of 30 players and the training camp will take place between Sunday 15 February and Thursday 19 February.

The Squad:
Francesca Ali - Milwall Lionesses
Laura Bird - Ipswich Town
Zoe Boyd - Alberton Fury 92
Bianca Bragg - Arsenal
Lauren Bruton - Arsenal
Danielle Carter - Leyton Orient
Holly Clarke - Norwich City
Eleanor Clarke - Nottingham Forest
Deanna Cooper - Gillingham
Juliana Draycott - Leeds Carnegie
Paige Eli - West Riding CFA
Lara Fay - Arsenal
Leah Galton - Leeds United
Bethanie Gardner - Newcastle United
Ashleigh Goddard - Arsenal
Alex Greenwood - Everton
Lucy Gunton-Jones - Norwich City
Sophie Halliday - Sunderland
Jessica Holbrook - Everton
Rebecca Jane - Chelsea
Kirsty Linnett - Leicester City
Kasia Lipka - Sheffield United
Katharine Nutman - Colchester United
Phoebe Richards - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sophie Richards - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Leigh-Anne Robe - Cambridge United
Jemma Rose - Plymouth Argyle
Drew Spence - Chelsea
Lucy Staniforth - Sunderland
Laura Thacker - Norwich City

The England Womens U15 side will be linking up for a training camp early next month and Lead Coach Laura Harvey has selected a squad of 19 players.

The squad will link up on Sunday 15 February and stay until Thursday 16 February.

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandU17/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/U17_training_camp_0209.htm

I am bit surprised Rachel Pitman is not in the squad or maybe she is too old now ?

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »
I am bit surprised Rachel Pitman is not in the squad or maybe she is too old now ?

Rachel's d.o.b 06.12.91