Author Topic: England Under-23  (Read 72215 times)

Sylvain

Rachael on standby for England U23s
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Sunderland Women goalkeeper Rachael Laws has been placed on standby for the England Women’s U23 Four Nations Tournament in La Manga, Spain, which takes place from Thursday 23 February to Friday 2 March 2012.

Former Sunderland midfielders Jordan Nobbs and Lucy Staniforth have been selected in the squad, who will face Norway on Sunday 26 February, the USA on Tuesday 28 February and finally Sweden on Thursday 1 March.

FULL ENGLAND U23 SQUAD:

Goalkeepers

Ashley Baker - University of Georgia

Lauren Davey - Watford

Defenders

Kerys Harrop - Birmingham City

Chelsea Weston - Birmingham City

Jemma Rose - Bristol Academy

Grace McCatty - Bristol Academy

Gemma Bonner - Chelsea

Naomi Cole - Lewes Ladies

Midfielders

Jordan Nobbs - Arsenal

Remi Allen - Lincoln Ladies

Sophie Walton - Lincoln Ladies

Brooke Chaplen - Everton

Jessica Holbrook Everton (on loan at Leeds United)

Michelle Hinnigan - Everton

Laura Coombs - Chelsea

Lucy Staniforth – Lincoln Ladies

Forwards

Isobel Christiansen - Birmingham City

Toni Duggan - Everton

http://www.sunderlandwfc.co.uk/swfc_568.htm

Sylvain

U23 squad named for La Manga
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
Brent Hills has named his England Women’s Under-23 squad for their Four Nations Tournament campaign in La Manga at the end of the month.

The 18-strong squad is dominated by FA WSL players with Everton providing four and Birmingham City and Lincoln providing three each.

Former U19 captains Jordan Nobbs and Michelle Hinnigan, who lifted the UEFA European U19 Championship trophy in Belarus in 2009, have been included, as has Toni Duggan who, along with Nobbs, scored in the Euro Final victory over Sweden.

England will take on Norway (26 February), USA (28 February) and Sweden (1 March) in this round-robin tournament and this group of young players will look to use these matches to help them follow the path recently made by Rachel Williams, Fern Whelan, Dani Buet and Natasha Dowie from the Under-23s into the seniors.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ashley Baker (University of Georgia), Lauren Davey (Watford)
Defenders
Gemma Bonner (Chelsea), Naomi Cole (Lewes Ladies), Kerys Harrop (Birmingham City), Grace McCatty (Bristol Academy),  Jemma Rose (Bristol Rose), Chelsea Weston (Birmingham City)
Midfielders
Remi Allen (Lincoln Ladies), Brooke Chaplen (Everton), Laura Coombs (Chelsea), Michelle Hinnigan (Everton), Jessica Holbrook (Everton), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Lucy Staniforth (Lincoln Ladies), Sophie Walton (Lincoln Ladies)
Forwards
Isobel Christiansen (Birmingham City), Toni Duggan (Everton)

http://www.thefa.com/England/womens-under-23s/News/2012/Squad-La-Manga-Tournament.aspx

Weren't Harrop,Christiansen,  Weston, Holbrook and Coombs playing in the final as well  :o

Sylvain

Re: England Under-23
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
Doncaster Rovers Belles defender Naomi Chadwick has been named in a 30 player squad to attend an England U-23 training camp.

The five-day camp will take place from Friday 15th until Wednesday 20th June 2012 in Warwick.

Goalkeepers:

Ashley Baker University of Georgia, Lauren Davey Watford, Sarah Quantrill Chelsea, Juliana Draycott Leeds United Ladies FC

Defenders:

Gilly Flaherty Arsenal, Kerys Harrop Birmingham City, Chelsea Weston Birmingham City, Jemma Rose Bristol Academy, Grace McCatty Bristol Academy, Gemma Bonner Chelsea, Victoria Williams Chelsea, Naomi Chadwick Doncaster Rovers Belles, Lucy Bronze Everton, Naomi Cole Lewes Ladies, Rachel Daly Lincoln Ladies, Samantha Chappell Liverpool

Midfielders:

Jordan Nobbs Arsenal, Danielle Buet Chelsea, Laura Coombs Chelsea, Brooke Chaplen Everton, Michelle Hinnigan Everton, Jessica Holbrook Everton, Remi Allen Lincoln Ladies, Lucy Staniforth Lincoln Ladies, Sophie Walton Lincoln Ladies

Forwards:

Isobel Christiansen Birmingham City, Ashlee Hincks Chelsea, Kate Longhurst Chelsea, Natasha Dowie Everton, Sophie Williams Sunderland

Everyone at the club would like to wish Naomi the best of luck in Warwick.

http://www.doncasterroversbelles.co.uk/news/naomi_named_in_u23_training_camp.html

Sylvain

« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
I understand why they do it, but isn't funny that a 24 year olds is selected for a U23 camp ?
Same as last year with Margie  ;)

Sylvain

U23s primed to shine
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
Brent Hills has urged his young squad to impress in next month's training camp

England Women’s Under-23 training camp
St. George’s Park
Sunday 11 November – Thursday 15 November 2012

Twenty-nine budding England Women’s internationals will get the chance to impress the Three Lions’ assistant manager in November.

Brent Hills will take a large pool of Under-23 players to St. George’s Park for a five-day training camp and he will remind them of the opportunities that lie ahead.

He said: “These players are potentially just one step away from the senior team so it’s vital to get them together in an international environment, especially because there are no UEFA or FIFA tournaments at this level.

“But this is also a chance for all the players to put themselves in the shop window, be that for a central contract, for a place at Euro 2013 and looking a bit further down the line, maybe the World Cup in 2015 as well.”

Most of Hills’s squad have plenty of international experience at youth level and eleven of them won the U19 Euros in 2009.

Birmingham midfielder Jade Moore has already earned four caps for the senior team, while Chelsea defender Gemma Bonner and Arsenal youngster Jordan Nobbs have both been called into Hope Powell’s side in the past.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ashley Baker (University of Georgia), Lauren Davey (Watford), Juliana Draycott (Leeds United), Mary Earps (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Sarah Quantrill (Liverpool)
Defenders
Gemma Bonner (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Everton), Samantha Chappell (Liverpool), Naomi Cole (Lewes Ladies), Lyndsey Cunningham (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Kerys Harrop (Birmingham City), Jasmine Matthews (Bristol Academy), Grace McCatty (Bristol Academy), Jemma Rose (Bristol Academy), Chelsea Weston (Birmingham City), Victoria Williams (Doncaster Rovers Belles)
Midfielders
Remi Allen (Lincoln Ladies), Brooke Chaplen (Everton), Michelle Hinnigan (Everton), Kasia Lipka (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Lucy Staniforth (Lincoln Ladies), Sophie Walton (Lincoln Ladies)
Forwards
Danielle Carter (Arsenal), Isobel Christiansen (Birmingham City), Laura Coombs (Chelsea), Kate Longhurst (Chelsea).

http://www.thefa.com/England/womens-under-23s/News/2012/training-camp-st-georges-park.aspx

I really find it amazing that the FA does not rate Gilly Flaherty  :o

49yardtapin

Re: U23s primed to shine
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Brent Hills has urged his young squad to impress in next month's training camp

England Women’s Under-23 training camp
St. George’s Park
Sunday 11 November – Thursday 15 November 2012

Twenty-nine budding England Women’s internationals will get the chance to impress the Three Lions’ assistant manager in November.

Brent Hills will take a large pool of Under-23 players to St. George’s Park for a five-day training camp and he will remind them of the opportunities that lie ahead.

He said: “These players are potentially just one step away from the senior team so it’s vital to get them together in an international environment, especially because there are no UEFA or FIFA tournaments at this level.

“But this is also a chance for all the players to put themselves in the shop window, be that for a central contract, for a place at Euro 2013 and looking a bit further down the line, maybe the World Cup in 2015 as well.”

Most of Hills’s squad have plenty of international experience at youth level and eleven of them won the U19 Euros in 2009.

Birmingham midfielder Jade Moore has already earned four caps for the senior team, while Chelsea defender Gemma Bonner and Arsenal youngster Jordan Nobbs have both been called into Hope Powell’s side in the past.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers
Ashley Baker (University of Georgia), Lauren Davey (Watford), Juliana Draycott (Leeds United), Mary Earps (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Sarah Quantrill (Liverpool)
Defenders
Gemma Bonner (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Everton), Samantha Chappell (Liverpool), Naomi Cole (Lewes Ladies), Lyndsey Cunningham (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Kerys Harrop (Birmingham City), Jasmine Matthews (Bristol Academy), Grace McCatty (Bristol Academy), Jemma Rose (Bristol Academy), Chelsea Weston (Birmingham City), Victoria Williams (Doncaster Rovers Belles)
Midfielders
Remi Allen (Lincoln Ladies), Brooke Chaplen (Everton), Michelle Hinnigan (Everton), Kasia Lipka (Doncaster Rovers Belles), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Lucy Staniforth (Lincoln Ladies), Sophie Walton (Lincoln Ladies)
Forwards
Danielle Carter (Arsenal), Isobel Christiansen (Birmingham City), Laura Coombs (Chelsea), Kate Longhurst (Chelsea).

http://www.thefa.com/England/womens-under-23s/News/2012/training-camp-st-georges-park.aspx

I really find it amazing that the FA does not rate Gilly Flaherty  :o

I really find it amazing that the FA does rate Samantha Chappell

AC-FC

« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
the lack of Arsenal players in there may not bode well for the future considering the number of 30 somethings in the current squad..... :(

Sylvain

« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
You can bet that a majority of those U23 won't make the grade. She must have some special skills though.

49yardtapin

« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
You can bet that a majority of those U23 won't make the grade. She must have some special skills though.

Have you SEEN her play? Exposed week after week. National prem player at best

Sylvain

« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
yeah I have with England U19 and Liverpool. Obviously not a special talent but just an average  player.

Offline davey

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
Sour grapes

Elee Timp

« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
I saw Sam Chappell play in the northern league and she was a promising right-back but very slight.

She seems to have been on a steak, eggs and guinness diet since then!

I've even seen her hold her own playing at centre-half.

But let's see how she copes with some decent players around her before writing her off.

Liverpool had a few 6/10 players who were dragged down to 5/10 players by inferior teammates and shambolic tactics.

If Beardo can sprinkle some more stardust, next season their standards might well be dragged UP into being 7/10 players.

Sylvain

« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »
In the same squad Bronze, Cunningham and Weston are also right-backs and 2 of those are better than her without any doubt but may never get a senior cap with Scott, Houghton and Susi currently in the seniors.
So Chappell must be like 7th or 8th down the line really.

49yardtapin

« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
yeah I have with England U19 and Liverpool. Obviously not a special talent but just an average  player.

True, and don't believe it to be sour grapes, just saying what we see. Players who look ok in the Northern Division do not translate well into the WSL which is why Liverpool failed for two seasons. But we all know in regards to England if you're in the system early and tow the line with what they want then you will stay in the system regardless. For example as a full back i believe Harding was a better choice and more experienced player and I believe Vicky Jones would have done a good job at right back too.

Sylvain

« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
But we all know in regards to England if you're in the system early and tow the line with what they want then you will stay in the system regardless.
I also know players who got kicked out at youth level and never got back in...one strike and you are finished.

49yardtapin

« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
But we all know in regards to England if you're in the system early and tow the line with what they want then you will stay in the system regardless.
I also know players who got kicked out at youth level and never got back in...one strike and you are finished.

Which begs the question  are the best players involved and being picked (we know they aren't) makes me chuckle when I see hope powell going on about getting the best players etc for the national side. PICK THEM THEN!

Sylvain

« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
Which begs the question  are the best players involved and being picked (we know they aren't) makes me chuckle when I see hope powell going on about getting the best players etc for the national side. PICK THEM THEN!
There might be some reason that are not football related. The coach does not  pick Bompastor, Tonazzi and Henry  for France for non football reasons and everybody knows they are top class and should be there.

49yardtapin

« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
If they're not football related to my mind the coach has to be asked the question. Noticed that Powell, in her interview after the french game, look a little less confident than she has done in previous one. Perhaps this is due to more and more exposure for the game (which is what she wants) but she has to understand the scrutiny will come and when it does not to complain about it. Didn't rate the Beanie and Cap combo either!

Also the punditry was ok on BBC however still a bit too 'pally-pally' with current england internationals on the sofa. Needs a bit more edge, though still better than Alan Shearer - Leading Premier League Scorer of all time 260 Goals. Same stat. Every. Single. Week.

Sylvain

« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
If they're not football related to my mind the coach has to be asked the question. Noticed that Powell, in her interview after the french game, look a little less confident than she has done in previous one. Perhaps this is due to more and more exposure for the game (which is what she wants) but she has to understand the scrutiny will come and when it does not to complain about it. Didn't rate the Beanie and Cap combo either!
I wouldn't be surprised if some players are blacklisted as they don't get on with some England seniors,or simply the coaches don't like those players.

Elee Timp

« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »

Also the punditry was ok on BBC however still a bit too 'pally-pally' with current england internationals on the sofa. Needs a bit more edge, though still better than Alan Shearer - Leading Premier League Scorer of all time 260 Goals. Same stat. Every. Single. Week.

To be fair, Hope said in her first interview she was feeling under the weather.

The touchline reporter asker her for team news, then she reeled off the starting XI but forgot Alex Scott!