Author Topic: England Under-23  (Read 72233 times)

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: England Under-23
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »
nah otherwise I would have been sacked from work probably , I made it via dublin and london city.
You and your plane trips lol  ;D

The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

Clarke Brace Sees England U23s Beat Norway
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
England began the three-team La Manga Under-23 Tournament with a 2-0 victory over Norway on Monday.

Jess Clarke scored both goals in a five-minute spell, late in the first half.

England play again on Friday February 6th, when they face the USA. Eleven of the 18-strong American squad have been drafted by clubs in the new Women's Profressional Soccer League.

http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=5911

I have the some news from the American camp  ;)
I had a chat with the American coach on Monday about his squad, the Nordics in Sweden last  year and this year and other stuff.
He reckons he has a mixed squad with the WPS drafted players and some college girls.
Also the jet lag and the fact they are playing Wednesday and Friday means England have a good chance to win I think. I watch their training session in the afternoon and it was interesting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:49:21 PM by shlj »

shlj

Lions win opener
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
England Women's U23s
La Manga Tournament
Monday 2 February 2009
La Manga, Spain

Brent Hills' U23s secured a 2-0 win over Norway in their opening match of the La Manga tournament in Spain.

Two first-half goals from Leeds Carnegie's Jess Clarke was enough to see off England's Scandinavian counterparts.

The Three Lions lost to Norway by the same scoreline in July's Nordic tournament, a match where England failed to make the most of their chances. This result would have therefore pleased the England camp and they will now prepare for Friday's match against USA high in confidence.

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandYouth/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/02/U23s_EnglandNorwayClarke.htm

shlj

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »
from fair game

England U23s were beaten 3-0 by the USA at La Manga. Brent Hills' side had defeated Norway 2-0 earlier in the week with a Jess Clarke brace, while the USA beat the same opposition with a Yael Averbuch goal 16 minutes from the end.

The Americans took just 5 minutes to go in front, Christen Press finding Brittany Klein, who netted from 18 yards.

The lead was doubled 5 minutes before the interval, Yael Averbuch's corner drilled home by Amanda Cinalli.

Another Averbuch corner led to the final goal, 2 minutes from time. Kasey Moore headed it back and Lorraine Quinn nodded home.

England U23s: Helen Alderson, Dunia Susi, Sophie Bradley, Fern Whelan, Claire Rafferty (Sophie Perry, 90+), Kimberley Dixon, Lizzie Edwards (Gemma Davison, 62), Dannii Bird, Rachel Williams (Brooke Chaplen, 80), Natasha Dowie, Becky Hall (Jess Clarke, 80).
Unused subs: Kelly Lawrence, Marie Hourihan, Charlotte Young.

USA U23s: Val Henderson; Katherine Reynolds (Jessica Tsao, 62), Nikki Krzysik, Kasey Moore, Stephanie Logterman; Brittany Bock (Lorraine Quinn, 73), Brittany Klein (Amy Smerdzinski, 86), Yael Averbuch (c), Kelley O’Hara (Parrissa Eyorokon, 69); Christen Press (Katie Larkin, 62), Amanda Cinalli (Kia McNeill, 77). Unused sub: Kelsey Davis.

http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=5920

shlj

Lions' pride despite loss
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
England's final match of the La Manga tournament ended in disappointment for Brent Hills' side as USA ran out 3-0 winners.

The Three Lions came into the match high in confidence having beaten Norway courtesy of a brace from Jess Clarke, but they found USA too much for them on the day.

They will return home with their pride in tact though, as the Norway result avenged a 2-0 defeat by the Scandanavians in July.

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandYouth/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/02/U23s_EnglandUSAFeb.htm

shlj

training camp
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
Brent Hills has announced his squad of 32 players for the forthcoming England Women’s U23 Squad Training Camp, to be held at Queen Mary Training Ground, Sidcup from Tuesday 7th to Friday 10th April.

England U23 Squad
Goalkeepers:
Helen Alderson - Sunderland
Marie Hourihan - Watford
Nicola Hobbs - Doncaster Rovers
Carly Telford - Leeds Carnegie

Defenders:
Laura Bassett - Arsenal
Sian Larkin - Birmingham City
Corrine Yorston - Bristol Academy
Sokhara Goodhall - Chelsea
Dunia Susi - Chelsea
Claire Rafferty - Chelsea
Sophie Perry - Chelsea
Georgina Giddings - Chelsea
Rachel Williams - Doncaster Rovers Belles
Fern Whelan - Everton
Sophie Walton - Leeds Carnegie
Sophie Bradley - Leeds Carnegie
Jodie Taylor - Oregon State University

Midfielders:
Kimberley Dixson - Charlton Athletic
Elizabeth Edwards - Chelsea
Brooke Chaplen - Chelsea
Danielle Buet - Chelsea
Charlotte Young - Fulham
Katie Owen - Watford

Forwards:
Dannii Bird - Birmingham City
Gemma Davison - Arsenal
Rebecca Hall - Birmingham City
Ellen White - Chelsea
Michelle Evans - Everton
Natasha Dowie - Everton
Carla Cantrell - Leeds Carnegie
Jessica Clarke - Leeds Carnegie
levi Penny - Nottingham Forest

http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=6075

shlj

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
I think Laura Basset is over 23  :o and some players touted as defenders are midfielders and forwards  ::)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
I think Laura Basset is over 23  :o and some players touted as defenders are midfielders and forwards  ::)

Well according to Arsenal's website she is 26 in August so think someone got a little mixed up there. I thought Rachel Williams was a midfielder? I can understand mixing up forwards and midfielders but a defender?!  ??? Saying that Leeds have Steph Houghton on there website as a midfielder and I thought she was a defender.

shlj

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »
Steph Houghton and Sian Larkin are two extremely versatile players  :).
Actually, you only need those two and a goalie on the bench to cover the 11 positions on the pitch.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
Ah good to know, so basically they really need an additional category 'versatile'  ;D

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2009, 12:24:14 AM »
If I've counted correctly:
9 Chelsea
5 Leeds Carnegie

5 total from the current top 2 teams (Arsenal and Everton)

???

Must be looking at up and coming players then - I wonder if we are likely to plummet in the future :o
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »
cynical   ??? 

maybe truthfull though :-\

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »
There are plenty of good and consistent young players out there at other clubs but they probably never get looked at, certainly not regularly.

shlj

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »
I would have thought that club managers recommend their best youngsters to the England coaches as well.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »
I would have thought that club managers recommend their best youngsters to the England coaches as well.

I'm sure you're right - I certainly hope so - but the current mix is hard to explain isn't it? 

shlj

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
I think there are some mistakes in term of club as well and Loughborough student gert some kind of "priority" I am sure

Sokhara Goodhall - Chelsea , she is listed on the Fulham program from yesterday night.
Ellen White - Chelsea, well not really...

Bristol 1
Charlton 1
Nottingham 1
Oregon Uni 1
Sunderland 1
Arsenal 2 but Bassett is 26 lol
Fulham 2
Doncaster 2
Watford 2
Birmingham 3
Everton 3
Leeds 6
Chelsea 7
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:09:06 PM by shlj »

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
Charlotte Young was listed in the Watford programme from last Sunday as having  recently joined the club from WFC Fulham.

shlj

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2009, 03:30:54 PM »
I did not notice she was missing from the Fulham players' list program :o

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
You're inclined to take for granted that the list of the players' clubs is correct, but as I commented in another section, FAW site had both Helen Lander and Cheryl Foster as playing for Bristol Academy  ::)

shlj

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
The U23 have 3 homes games this summer versus the USA and Germany, I am checking with the FA confirm if those are behind closed door as usual  ;)