Author Topic: Marta  (Read 27581 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Marta
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »
February 25 Wednesday, 20.45 to 21.00 UK time:
Marta and 2 others ringing the NASDAQ Stock Market Closing Bell in New York.
http://www.nasdaq.com/about/marketsitetowervideo.asx
http://womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2923.msg30034.html#msg30034

Sorry about my poor arithmetic earlier, the above times should be correct.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:45:06 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 08:38:19 PM »
Marta has come a long way, takes on new challenge in U.S.

The Brazilian star will be the biggest name for the new Los Angeles Sol and Women's Professional Soccer.

by Grahame L. Jones, Los Angeles Times
February 25, 2009

Somewhere in the heart of northeastern Brazil, about nine degrees south of the Equator and a couple of hundred miles inland from where the Brazilian coast bulges out into the Atlantic, two rivers converge.

There, painted in pastel hues, is the clapboard town of Dois Riachos, little more than a dot on the map in the huge cotton, rice, sugar and tobacco producing state of Alagoas. Flash past on Brazil's route 316, perhaps on the way to Maceio and the sea, and you would hardly notice it.

Dois Riachos. Two little rivers.

Marta Vieira da Silva remembers them well. They were the playgrounds of her childhood. For half the year, when the rains had long gone and the streambed was dry, she and the rest of the kids in Dois Riachos used to play soccer in the sandy river bottoms.

It was there that the scrawny youngster who grew up to become the world's finest female soccer player learned the tricks that now keep fans worldwide spellbound.

This remote locale, where she dodged the tackles of older boys intent on taking her down, was the ultimate source of her Pan American Games gold medal, her two Olympic silver medals, her three consecutive FIFA Women's World Player of the Year awards in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

The step-over moves, the dribbles, the dragging of the ball this way and that, at speed, with the sole of the boot, the lightning quick turns, the instant acceleration, the unleashed shot with power or the placement with finesse -- all these the woman now known simply as Marta learned on the dry streambed.

And when the rains returned and the rivers filled?

"Then we went to the beach," Marta said, beaming the smile that has become almost a trademark.

She is at the beach again now, having arrived in Southern California last Thursday night, on her 23rd birthday, to prepare for her new role -- as the brightest and highest-paid star not only for the Los Angeles Sol but in all of Women's Professional Soccer, which launches its inaugural season on March 29.

And so Marta is in Manhattan Beach, just up the road from her new home in Redondo Beach, chatting amiably over lunch about how different things are going to be, the promise of the new league, and how she has to add English to her fluent Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.

She shows up incognito -- in dark glasses, with a black hat pulled down low, adding to the air of mystery. She could be a musician, and is, in a way. "I love all kinds of music and I love to sing," she said. "I am starting to learn more English just through music."

But soccer is her true language.

Her incomparable skills were evident long before she left home to try her luck first with a Brazilian club for two years and then with one of Europe's leading women's teams, Umea IK of Sweden, for the last five years.

"They say that my father was a very good soccer player, but I never saw him play," said Marta, who, along with two older brothers and an older sister, was raised, in humble circumstances, primarily by her mother.

Marta's soccer knowledge came not only from playing, she said, but by watching Brazil's never-ending procession of World Cup standouts. She rattled off the names: Rivaldo, Romario, Ronaldo and Kaka. "I tried to watch each of them and observe them and take a little bit from each of them," she said.

Now her name ranks among them. After she had led Brazil to its Pan American Games gold medal victory over the U.S. in front of 67,788 in Rio de Janeiro in 2007, she became the first female player to leave her footprints in the walk of fame at the stadium. Even Pele called to congratulate her.

"It's always been a dream of mine to be the best player in the world," Marta said. "I've always played. Even when I was little, it was my favorite activity."

Just where the fantasy and the artistry come from, Marta isn't sure. "When I get out on the field, I try to do my best and it just comes to me. There are just things that happen, and from minute to minute I know that I can improvise," she said. "I always try to be the first one to the ball. I try to do everything better than my opponents. I always try to think what my next move is."

Unlike another of her favorite players, Ronaldinho, who invariably plays with a smile, Marta is more serious.

"I'm always reading the game. The expression on my face is more of concentration and focus," she said.

Her fame, meanwhile, is worldwide.

"We flew from Rio de Janeiro to Panama City to L.A.," said her agent, Fabiano Farah, who is also Ronaldo's agent. "The whole crew was from Panama, where soccer is not that popular, but they all wanted to see Marta, and two guys asked for a picture."

Marta takes it in stride.

"I go wherever I like and do the things I like to do," she said. "I don't really let it get to me."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-marta-soccer25-2009feb25,0,3945955.story

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:39:55 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »
Kobe Bryant welcomes Marta to town

Lakers star, who is also a huge soccer fan, travels by helicopter to watch Marta be introduced by the L.A. Sol.

by Grahame L. Jones
March 6, 2009

It won't show up in the NBA statistics, but that was some steal Kobe Bryant made Thursday.

On an afternoon when Brazil's Marta, the top women's soccer player on the planet, was being introduced by the Los Angeles Sol in Carson, Bryant flew in by helicopter after Lakers practice and walked off with the show.

By the time he left the Home Depot Center, he had the Sol players giggling like star-struck teenagers, all eager to be photographed alongside him.

Naturally, Bryant obliged.

He also did a little goalkeeping, a little ball-juggling, banged a shot in off the left post and generally enjoyed himself.

Sure, Women's Professional Soccer, the league that launches on March 29, was using the Lakers star to attract television coverage, but Bryant would have been there regardless.

As much as he admires Lionel Messi and FC Barcelona, and as close a friend as he is of David Beckham, the NBA's most genuine soccer lover places Marta right up there on the same pedestal.

"I'm a fan, really," Bryant said. "I don't feel like Kobe the basketball player at all. I'm just as excited as anybody here.

"Watching her play, the way that she plays with such passion, such energy, such a love for the game, and so much creativity, I found myself being glued to the TV set.

"There were three things I wanted to accomplish last summer when I was in Beijing. One was to win a gold medal. Two was to watch Michael Phelps make history. The third was to watch Marta play in person. I was fortunate enough to accomplish all three. I'm beyond excited that she's here."

So who would be the Marta of the NBA?

"Me," Bryant said, without hesitation.

Meanwhile, his favorite soccer club, Spanish league leader Barcelona, is enduring a rare lean spell.

"It's tough, but you go through that," Bryant said. "It's no big deal. It's going to be all right."

And what about the $150 million that Manchester City reportedly is willing to offer Barcelona for Argentina's Messi, who also won a gold medal in Beijing?

"It's understandable," Bryant said. "Business is business."

Would he want to see Messi leave?

"Of course not, because I'm a Barcelona fan, but at the end of the day the individual's got to do what's right for the individual, you know what I mean? As a friend and as a fan, I've got to support what he's doing."

What about another friend, Beckham? Any inside information?

"No, man," Bryant said, laughing. "Of course not. I have no idea what you're talking about."

Then he tells a Marta story that sums up the day.

"My daughter [Natalia] plays AYSO soccer, right. The first time, she really didn't know what she was doing. I tried to work with her and stuff.

"Then we go home and I bring up Marta on YouTube and said, 'Watch this.' She sat there for like 15 minutes just watching. She's only 6, but she [recognizes] what's amazing.

"What she [Marta] does is phenomenal. It's incredible. Marta's gifted, man. The things that she does on the pitch, I've just never seen anybody do, male or female."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kobe-marta-soccer6-2009mar06,0,5226917.story

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
Team Preview: Sol building cohesion on and off the field
Monday, March 09, 2009
Extract from preview by Dan Lauletta, womensprosoccer.com

A cohesive group makes for a great way to start a new franchise, but that cohesion will be appreciated that much more if it leads to positive results once the season begins.  The star of the show, both on and off the field, will be Marta, the electrifying Brazilian with a magical pair of feet that allow her to control a soccer ball better than almost anyone alive.

“The thing that impresses me with Marta after actually getting to work with her this week is she is such a great team player,” Rogers marveled.  “Her individual stuff is brilliant, but some of her passes and some of her layoffs and moving into space have been great as well.”

Finding a forward to pair with Marta could prove a challenge, not so much for lack of talent but due to Marta’s flamboyant style.

“It’s going to be someone that possesses very good skills that can keep the ball, not turn it over regardless of the pressure they’re under,” the coach said.  “We’ve mixed the forwards around this week so she has not had the same partner.  So far Christie (Welsh) and Han Duan have done very well with her.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid9792.aspx

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marta takes the 2009 crown
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »
At the age of only 23, Brazil’s Marta has already made sure of her place in the annals of the women’s game. The standard bearer for the growth of the sport in her country, she has already taken her talents to faraway places such as Sweden and the USA. Having gone back home to help Santos become the first team to win the women’s version of the Copa Libertadores, the peerless forward has returned to Zurich for the sixth time to collect her fourth straight FIFA Women’s World Player award.

After celebrating her latest coronation, she spoke to FIFA.com about the last 12 months, her expectations for 2010, and her hopes of returning to the Gala for many more years to come.

FIFA.com: Marta, congratulations on this unprecedented achievement. What is your reaction to being named FIFA Women's World Player once again?
I'm surprised. I want to thank to God for everything that is happening to me in my life. I also want to thank my football collegues in Los Angeles Sol, Santos and Brazil. This is an individual award but without my collegues, I could not win anything. I am very happy to be the first women to have won the award for a fourth time and I hope it helps women's football to grow.

As you say, no-one has achieved this before. How does it feel to have made history?
It’s a landmark in my career and in my life. Me winning the title for a fourth time means a lot for women’s football in Brazil too. This achievement isn’t going to change the way I think though. I’m going to carry on working hard so that I can come back here as many times as possible.

How did you feel when you heard your name being read out again?
There are a lot of things that go through your head, like many of the things that have happened to you in your career. It’s incredible. You can never prepare what you’re going to say and I just came out with the first words that came into my head. It’s a historic moment and I hope I can experience it many more times. The most important thing is that hard work brings recognition with it.

This is the sixth time you have been to the Gala. What are your feelings at being here in Zurich again?
It’s an amazing experience for me to be involved at this party again. There are a lot of footballers who would like to be in my place and I feel very privileged to be here for a sixth time. I’m very happy.
It’s a landmark in my career and in my life. Me winning the title for a fourth time means a lot for women’s football in Brazil too.

What do you think about your rivals tonight?
They are all excellent players who have also had their moments of glory. They deserve to be here. It’s an honour to share this stage with such superb footballers.

You switched to the US league in 2009. How is that working out for you?
It’s been a very positive experience so far. It is the home of women’s football and we had a lot of success on an individual and team level. It was a fabulous season for us but we are still looking to the future. We want to keep developing so that the success of the league can make an impact not just there but in the women’s game around the world.

All that was missing was the league title.
Yes, you could say that. We had an excellent regular season and were way ahead at the end of it. We won that part of the league easily and the only disappointing thing was that we couldn’t go on and lift the championship. But the best team doesn’t always come first and you have to congratulate the champions. Still, even though we didn’t win, it was a very positive year and I’m sure 2010 will be even better.

You have had a very busy 12 months. Just after that you went to play in the first women’s Copa Libertadores with Santos.
It was wonderful for me to go back to Brazil. I got a great reception after having played abroad for so long, and the first Libertadores was so important for the development of women’s football in my country. It attracted some great crowds too. The fans really turned out at lots of the stadiums and that made us so happy. Luckily for us we were able to finish it all off by winning the competition. Then we went on and won the inaugural Brazilian Cup, so it couldn’t have been a better year.

There has been a big improvement in the women’s game in Brazil since you started playing, has there not?
We have been working for a long time to get to where we are now in Brazil, with coverage in the media, sponsorship and crowds at the stadiums. Things have really changed now and we are delighted about that. Girls like Cristiane, Formiga and I have been playing abroad, but now we’ve had the chance to come back and help women’s football grow. Hopefully when we go abroad again we can relax in the knowledge that all this success will continue.

You have played in Sweden and the USA. Which of the two is easier to adapt to?
The weather is better in the States. There are a lot of Latin Americans there too, which makes everything easier for me and makes me feel closer to Brazil. But I have to say that I have a passion for Sweden. I spent five years there and I owe the country a lot. Sometimes I even miss the cold (laughs), though I’m very much at home in Los Angeles.

And finally, what plans do you have for 2010?
To really get involved at Los Angeles, where I want to finish the two years I have left on my contract. I’d like to win team and individual titles as well as the championship, which we just missed out on this time. With the national team I’d like to see us become South American champions. We’re not thinking about the World Cup just yet though. We need to make sure we qualify first.

www.fifa.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:40:26 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »

Sylvain

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 02:25:44 AM »
Poor Eni Aluko, with Marta around, she might get less game to play/get less chances to score goals.

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 02:28:54 AM »
or...what a couple

Sylvain

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »
I believe Marta is a ball magnet and her style is similar to Aluko with a better finishing accuracy.
If both players call for the ball to be put throug behind the defenders my bet is Marta will get the ball 80% of the time

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:26 PM »
Eni is safe.... Marta has gone to the Gold Pride.....  ;D

Sylvain

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »
Good for Eni. Marta will be able to score more goals as she will be reunited with the one and only Camille Abily

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Great goal by Marta
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »
June 30 saw an exhibition match with a Marta XI playing an Abby XI in Georgia.  Marta's second goal was a spectacular one from an impossible angle through two defenders.  Even Hope Solo was smiling after conceding a near-post goal.
Videos: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/bayarea/video/index.aspx
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:48:10 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
UN Goodwill Ambassador
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
In October Marta was at a ceremony in Sweden where she was made a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations.  Speaking emotionally in Swedish she spoke of the people who have to struggle for a place in the world, especially women.  She said she had not had an easy life, "my family was poor, so I know what it means", and she welcomed the chance to work for all who need help.

Afterwards she was asked if she would be seen on the football field in Sweden again.  "You never know: Sweden is like home to me - it's a place I thrive in".  

Video: http://svtplay.se/v/2187405/fotboll/marta_prisad_-_och_i_tarar

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:50:35 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marta returning to Sweden?
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Brazilian superstar has decided to return to Sweden to play football this year.  "It is confirmed that Marta will play in Sweden", said Pedro Bial of TV Globo in Brazil to the Swedish paper Expressen.

25-year-old Marta has been voted the world's best player several times.  According to Bial there are two Swedish clubs in the running, and Expressen named Tyresö FF and Göteborgs FC.  "Just now I don't know any more than you.  We have not started any discussions with Marta", said Göteborg director Peter Bronsman to the Swedish paper.

"We have no comment", said Tyresö's press officer Carina Johansson.

Earlier Marta's agent Fabiano Farah emailed Umeå IK that the cost of employing her would be around £660,000 per season, but according to Expressen that statement was only made for effect and the paper believes she would be willing to sign for significantly less.  

Marta will decide in February.  She began her football career at Vasco da Gama and moved to Umeå IK in 2004.  In her five seasons there the club rose to be one of the world's top clubs.  In 2009 she moved to Los Angeles to play in the new American professional league.  Both her clubs, Los Angeles Sol in 2009 and FC Gold Pride in 2010, won the league but ceased trading soon after.  Afterwards she went to Santos on loan, before signing for Western New York Flash.  In January 30 this year it was announced that there would be no American league in 2012.  

Silje Dyregrov http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article223575.ece
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:52:59 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marta back in Sweden
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
A Swedish club has won the competition to sign the world's best footballer.  26-year-old Marta is joining Tyresö.

Marta entered the market with the cessation of the American professional league, and has signed a two-year contract with the Stockholm club.  "I am happy to be in Sweden again.  This is the world's best league, and I thrive here.  When I went to the USA I told everyone that Sweden is my second home.  I have many friends here and many memories from people who enjoy what I do on the field", she said.

Marta was the big favourite with Swedish crowds during her five seasons with Umeå before the US league took her away.  Umeå was interested this time, but was not able to assemble an offer.  "I did not receive an offer from there.  I have a very fine history with Umeå but life goes on", said Marta.

Tyresö is the current comet in Swedish football.  The team reached the Damallsvenskan league as late as 2009 but was already a big favourite to take the 2012 league title.  They have signed more international players, Swedes Caroline Seger and Lisa Dahlqvist, and from Spain Veronica Boquete.

"The big goal is to win the league and cup, and get to play in the Champions League next year", said Marta.

Sweden's national team trainer Thomas Dennerby thinks that the whole league will gain from having Marta back in the country.  "Last time she was here the crowd totals swelled everywhere she played.  She has women's football's biggest brand name, and that's why we want to see her", he said.  "Just the name brings people into the stands".

Tyresö's director Hans Lindberg would not comment on Marta's pay, but he said that it is made up by sponsors.

Marta
Full name: Marta Vieira da Silva.
Born: 19 februari 1986 i Dois Riachos, Brasilien.
height: 163 cm.
Position: Forward
Professional clubs: Santa Cruz, Umeå IK, Los Angeles Sol, Santos, FC Gold Pride, Western New York Flash, Tyresö FF.
Achievements: Voted world's best 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010;  Olympic silver 2004, 2008 with Brazil;  World Cup silver 2007 with Brazil;  Champions League silver 2007 with Umeå (lost to Arsenal);  Swedish league title 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.

NTB http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article225383.ece
Emotional scenes on Swedish TV: http://svt.se/2.21391/1.2717879/marta_klar_for_tyreso
On breakfast TV this morning: http://svtplay.se/v/2718741/fotboll/marta_i_gomorron_sverige?cb,a1364159,1,f,-1/pb,a1364158,1,f,-1/pl,v,,2718216/sb,k103649,1,f,-1                                                          6571

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:43:47 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marta joins Rosengård
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »
Marta was interviewed on Swedish channel TV4 about joining her new club:
http://www.tv4.se/fotbollskanalen/klipp/marta-om-varf%C3%B6r-hon-valde-roseng%C3%A5rd-2952301
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
A good career overview (up to mid-2016) here:

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/07/11/the-greatness-of-marta-in-a-still-sexist-game/

Football was not – and still isn’t – seen as an acceptable activity for females in Brazil. Incredibly, it was illegal for women to play football in Brazil from 1941 until 1979 on the grounds that it is not compatible with their ‘feminine nature’. Not just frowned upon; it was illegal. [...]

When asked in an interview with Folha de São Paulo if she suffered from prejudice as a girl starting out in a ‘man’s game’ Marta responded: “Yes, a lot. I’m from Dois Riachos, a small town in the interior of Alagoas. People at that time did not look kindly upon on a girl playing football with a load of boys, and my family thought in the same way.” [...]

In December 2015, in her 100th game for the Seleção, Marta scored five in an 11-0 thrashing of Trinidad and Tobago. This took her onto 98 international goals and made her Brazil’s most prolific player [...] She has since moved past the 100-goal mark, a truly stunning number and a tribute to both her brilliance and her longevity in a game where many stars burn extremely quickly.

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
Marta has joined Orlando Pride, see her arrival here:

- http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/marta-arrives-orlando/