Author Topic: Marta  (Read 24827 times)

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Marta
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »
Whoops.

I posted the video link in the Sweden forum, but not here. If I"d known there was going to be talk about it, I would have posted here as well:

http://fotbollskanalen.se/1.429059?videoId=1.497886

It seemed like the kick was very much intentional, as the player was already down, Marta gets tangled up, frees herself, then kicks the down player in the stomach. (And then you'll see Nilla Fischer run up and push Marta down on the ground, which earned her a yellow.)
Thanks for the link, but what am I doing wrong?
Nothing plays :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:06 AM »
I'm not sure, twmcat. When I pull it up at home (an old Windows 98 machine) it plays fine though Internet Explorer. When I pull it up on Firefox at work on a new iMac, it plays just fine.

Does it at least bring up a little screen, like it wants to play something?

I guess you could scroll down just a bit to where it says 'Marta såg rött' and click on that a time or two to see if it'll play then.

If nothing else works, I'll try uploading it to YouTube tonight.
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Marta has picked up a three-match ban for her violent loss of temper - 2 Swedish league games and a cup game.

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
ohI tought she already had that ban cause she wasnt there one game

the cup game is tyonight i Think

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:27 PM »
I'm not sure, twmcat. When I pull it up at home (an old Windows 98 machine) it plays fine though Internet Explorer. When I pull it up on Firefox at work on a new iMac, it plays just fine.

Does it at least bring up a little screen, like it wants to play something?

I guess you could scroll down just a bit to where it says 'Marta såg rött' and click on that a time or two to see if it'll play then.

If nothing else works, I'll try uploading it to YouTube tonight.
Sorry for late reply - I get a windows media link, but nothing happens, even if I click on the link again :(

I tried it on IE instead of Firefox, and it seemed like it was going to work, but failed with download  ???

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:46:21 PM by twmcat »
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
THE WORLD'S GAME (ACCORDING TO US)
by Austin Kelley

It's Marta!

With Landon Donovan looking for an invite back to Germany (again!) and David Beckham trying to figure out who's a celebrity and who isn't, there is room for a new soccer superstar in Los Angeles.

Enter Marta.

Maybe.

Marta Vieira da Silva, the two-time FIFA Women's World Player of the year, is the most entertaining female player on the planet. A striker with tremendous dribbling skills, she weaves through lines of defenders. Then, instead of shooting, she'll draw the keeper out, holding the ball on one foot, waiting, waiting, waiting until she whips the ball to her other foot and lofts it into the back of the net. At the 2007 World Cup, she scored seven goals, including this incredible effort against the US. She took the ball out of midair with the outside of her foot, flicking it past a defender one way while spinning her body the opposite direction. Then, she left another defender for dead and calmly finished. Goal.

Last week, the 22-year-old Marta was "drafted" by the L.A. franchise of the new Women's Professional Soccer league. The problem is, Marta is under contract to a club in Sweden and hasn't had any negotiations with the still nameless L.A. team. She didn't even sign up for any draft.

The WPS's Initial International Draft wasn't actually a draft in the traditional sense, a pool which players willingly enter. It was simply a way to give the new American teams the sole rights to negotiate with the foreign players on their fantasy wish-lists.

This is not to say that the teams picked these players completely out of the blue. A WPS spokesman told us that the clubs did not speak directly with the potential players, but that they were working with a consultant who advised them on player availability. There were no German players in the draft, the spokesman said, because most of them had signed long-term contracts with their German clubs ahead of the 2011 Women's World Cup, which will be held in Deutschland.

If Marta was clearly interested and available, though, it's odd that she was the third overall pick, not the first. Perhaps some backroom deal was made to put her on the big Hollywood stage, or the teams with the first two picks feared they wouldn't have enough money to bring her over to the U.S. (Unlike the MLS, which negotiates all players' contracts centrally, WPS franchises will be financially independent). There are unsubstantiated rumors that Marta wants $400,000, which doesn't sound like a lot when you compare it to A-Rod, but is substantially more than the $62,000 median salary for the MLS. The L.A team, though, is run by Phil Anschutz's AEG, the same folks that brought you billion-dollar Becks—so anything's possible.

Even with Anschutz involved, it's not clear that the WPS will have the buying power to attract all the foreign talent in the fantasy draft (Fans are already voting which players won't come. Marta is a popular choice). The league is starting up in the middle of a financial crisis and is following on the heels of the defunct WUSA, which failed, many think, because of overspending. The WPS also faces unprecedented competition. The last few years have seen tremendous growth in women's soccer in Europe and even South America. Australia is about to start a new league (after its own failed first attempt), and last week the English FA announced the launch of a Super League.

The new English organization will compete directly with WPS and was developed out of a fear that all the best English talent would head across the pond. "If these… England players go to America," said alarmist Arsenal Ladies coach Vic Akers, "it could set the game here back 10 years." All the competition, though, may set the global game forward.

As for Marta, forget the draft. Start the bidding war. She's worth it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3620030

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »
If Marta leaves Lisa Da Vana might replace her in UIK

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
Ronaldo Returns To Football

Brazilian legend Ronaldo made a return to football earlier tonight, as he took part in a charity match in Morocco.

A visibly overweight and unfit Ronaldo took part in a charity match earlier tonight, which was played to benefit the “Against Poverty” cause.

The contest was organized by the United Nations and was held in Morocco, in front of a packed stadium.

The match was played between the “Friends of Ronaldo”, and the “Friends of Zidane”, which proved to be a great battle.

The Brazilian played just 22 minutes, before being substituted to a rousing reception by the star of the Brazilian national women’s team, Marta.

For the record, Ronaldo’s side ran out 6-5 winners, in a thrilling contest for a great cause.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/723/serie-a/2008/11/17/969514/ronaldo-returns-to-football

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Sponsor to save Marta for Sweden?
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »
Brazil and world start Marta herself wishes to stay at Umeå next year.  Fabiano Farah, her agent, is working on providing a Swedish sponsor to keep her in the country she chose to live in four years ago.

"Just now I am talking to a Swedish sponsor", he said to Västerbottens Folkblad.  There is also an offer on the table from Los Angeles.  But according to her agent she would like to stay where she is to continue her career as the world's best footballer.

UIK director Britta Åkerlund has been in touch with the Los Angeles club and Marta's agent.  UIK are trying to find sponsorship to match the American offer.

Reports that Marta will be too expensive for the American club were denied by sources in Los Angeles Sun who say they have not given up the chase. 

www.svt.se
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
No news about Marta for several weeks, so what does a journalist do? Well, one of TV4's journalists picked up the phone and called Los Angeles where he got hold of the Sol's Brandon Koller. "We are very close to a deal with Marta" was the answer.

Umeå's Britta Åkerlund had nothing to comment on this: "We haven't heard from [Marta's agent] Fabiano Farah for some time" and Farah himself answered curtly that nothing was settled and that Marta is trying to get some rest in Brazil. Regarding the offers from Umeå IK and LDB FC Malmö, he answered that as long as nothing is signed, everything is of interest.

Aftonbladet: Marta nära skriva på för Los Angeles: ”Vi förhandlar”

In an interview with Swedish broadcaster SVT, USA national team coach Pia Sundhage says that she strongly believes that Marta will go to Los Angeles and that she thinks Los Angeles is a good place for her to play. Signing her is important since it will give the league big media attention.

SVT: Martas eventuella flytt snackis is USA (video)

Shut up and sign!

May I go on a little rant here? I am one of those (probably fairly few now), who finds this both interesting and entertaining to follow. There are several big bidders for a big star and I hope we will see more of this in the future. The capacity to create both big stars and clubs able to offer big contracts is a sign of the growth the women's game has had in the last years. I can still understand that some of the persons directly involved are getting tired and wants a conclusion and I can see that fans are getting frustrated, but if you want professional players this is part of the deal. It's not like transfer rumors and contract negotiations are uncommon in football.

But I'm not solely positive. What puts me off is the "Shut up and sign!" attitude that is getting more and more frequently exhibited from both sides of the Atlantic. Marta will come off as greedy, warns a well reputed Swedish journalist, and recommends her to shut up and sign. For Umeå. From the other side you can hear angered surprise over the audacity this woman has to come with demands. She ought to be happy to get an offer and just sign.

Marta has at several times stated that money is important. Her ambition is to be able to provide for herself and her family for the rest of her life from the money she earns playing football. I can't see anything wrong in that - hundreds if not thousands of men are doing exactly the same. Marta grew up in a single parent family from the poor countryside in Brazil's poor north-east. In the few interviews I've seen that has touched this, she has come out as painfully aware of where she would be without her talent for football.

So why in the world should Marta settle for anything less than she can get? To save a club or a league? Exactly why should she do that? Is women's football a calling? Professional sports operates in a market economy. Clubs and leagues are responsible for themselves. They are not held at gunpoint. If they are stupid enough to buy something they can't afford, they will suffer the consequences and rightly so.

Yes, Marta should pick up the pen and sign. But not until she is satisfied that the contract she signs is, financially, personally and for her as an athlete, the best deal she can get.

http://dandal.webblogg.se/
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
UIK terminates discussions with Marta's agent
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »
On January 6 discussions finished with Marta's agent Fabiano Farah on the subject of whether she will or will not be an Umeå player in the coming season.  On December 5 the club gave a contract offer to Fabiano Farah that he had requested two days earlier, and that is how things stand.  As Marta's employers for the last five years Umeå IK has now decided to put a stop to this long drawn-out story.

We have had five wonderful seasons with Marta in UIK colours.  Marta came to UIK with high expectations, which she has met and exceeded.  Supported by fantastic teammates and a strong organisation Marta has developed into the world's undisputed best women's footballer.  In spite of this Marta has always been a member of the team and the players' group.  All stars have a big ego but Marta has never let her ego become bigger than the squad and the club.

Umeå IK and Swedish women's football is losing its brightest shining star.  We will miss her not only as a footballer but also as a brilliant person.  All our best wishes go with her wherever she decides to take her football boots!

And tomorrow new stars will come to light . .

www.uik.se
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »
It works out that she'll be getting £320,000 or so a year - so can't really blame her.

I now wish I'd asked her to sign my programme as she walked to the team coach after what will probably be her last game over here for ages. I was just relaxing before the long drive home, and decided not to get out of the car - despite no-one else being around, so she'd have probably done it :(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:28:03 PM by twmcat »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marta signs
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Brazilian football star Marta is going to the USA and Los Angeles Sol.

"It's time to do something new", said Marta, who has played in Swedish club Umeå for the last five seasons.  She has signed a new three-year-contract with the California club.

In the top USA league there will be seven clubs.  Kickoff for the season will be in the spring.

NTB  http://www.nrksport.no/fotball/1.6430168

Marta's web site: http://www.marta10.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:10:28 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »
....and wins Fifa World Player of the Year for a 3rd time  :)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »
Los Angeles Sol Signs Brazilian Superstar Marta
Monday, January 12, 2009

Three Time FIFA World Female Player of the Year joins already strong Los Angeles side

CARSON, CALIFORNIA – The Los Angeles Sol (Women’s Professional Soccer) achieved a major milestone in women’s professional sports when they announced  an agreement today with three time FIFA World Female Player of the Year Marta Vieira da Silva, better known worldwide simply as Marta.  Per team and league policy, the terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Marta joins a potent Sol team that will be sure to captivate soccer fans throughout the Southland and already features three U.S. Women’s National Team players (Shannon Boxx, Aly Wagner, Stephanie Cox) and a host of others with significant international experience. The agreement comes upon the heels of Marta’s great accomplishment of becoming the FIFA World Female Player of the Year for the third year in a row.

“With the signing of Marta there is no doubt that we have brought in one of the biggest and most exciting pieces of the puzzle we targeted when we launched this franchise last fall,” said Scott Hanley, Vice President AEG Sports, who operates the Sol.  “She is a bonafide superstar in the sport of soccer who will undoubtedly electrify fans and raise awareness for both our team and WPS on a global scale.”

The Sol originally acquired the exclusive WPS negotiating rights to Marta on September 24, 2008, when they drafted her third overall in the WPS Initial International Draft.  In that draft, each team was allowed to draft four international players.

The initial International Draft gave each of the seven WPS teams the opportunity to begin a formal negotiation process with each selected player upon receiving permission from that player’s club. For the 2009 season, teams are allowed to sign up to five international players each.

“I am extremely excited to be joining the Los Angeles Sol,” Marta said. “Knowing that WPS is going to be the most competitive league in the world made my decision easy.  I am going to Los Angeles to win as many titles as possible and achieve all the remaining goals in my professional life.”

Since 2004, Marta, a native of the Brazilian state of Alagoas, has been playing for fabled Swedish women’s club side Umea IK, helping lead to wide variety of team and personal accolades.

Umea has captured the Swedish league title three times (2005, 2006 and 2007) since her arrival, and took the UEFA Champions League crown in 2004 and a runner-up finish in 2007.  In addition, they have drawn an average of nearly 10,000 fans per home game, easily best in the league.

A gifted left-footed attacking midfielder with a very deadly shot, Marta has also shone brightly individually since her arrival in Sweden, winning the FIFA Women’s Player of the year award in 2006, 2007, and 2008. In 2007, she also won the Golden Ball as the best player at the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup in China and the Golden Boot as its top scorer as Brazil captured the silver medal.

Marta and Brazil’s full national team first gained recognition on the world stage for their attractive, attacking football at the 2004 Athens Olympic Football Tournament, where they took the silver medal, losing to the USA in the final.

Marta turned in some amazing performance at the FIFA Under-19 Women’s World Championship in Canada, and has been a fixture with the full side since.  In 2003, after some excellent performances in the Pan-American Games in the Dominican Republic, where Brazil won the gold medal, she received an offer to move to Umea, and has been there ever since.

The Sol will kick off the 2009 season on Sunday, March 29 at The Home Depot Center on the campus of California State University-Dominguez Hills, when the club hosts the Washington Freedom in a 3 pm (PT) match.  The WPS Inaugural Match between the Sol and the Freedom will be the only one played in WPS that weekend.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7516.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:32 AM »
Marta ready to conquer in WPS
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
by Dan Lauletta, womensprosoccer.com

Since 2004, fans of U.S. soccer have become accustomed to rooting against Marta and her Brazilian teammates.  Now they are preparing to cheer for her.  Even those who will not support the Los Angeles Sol when WPS launches later this year will have little choice but to pull for Marta, the now three-time FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year who added a dose of star power to the league with her official acquisition by the Sol.

“We feel it’s great not just for our franchise but for our whole entire league,” Sol General Manager Charlie Naimo said.  “It’s big news.  We’ve been getting contacted by as much international media as we have local, but we’re definitely getting a lot of media attention.  New York Times, L.A. Times.  The big dogs.  We’re obviously very appreciative of the coverage.”

The announcement of Marta’s signing coincided with the announcement she had won her third consecutive FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year honor.  She was widely considered the best player on the globe when FC Gold Pride and the Boston Breakers bypassed her in the International Draft last September.  The Sol, drafting third, took a leap of faith, and while they drafted the 22-year old without knowing for sure if they could lure her to Los Angeles from her Swedish club, they have done much of their team building with Marta in mind as the centerpiece.

“We felt that the chances (of signing Marta) were very good, but there was some risk in using a first round pick,” Naimo acknowledged.  “Obviously we had a lot of negotiating to do, but we had the confidence to take that step.  We found after discussing it as a franchise, we might be in a position to get something done.

“When you start a team at the highest level, the first person you think of internationally speaking is Marta.  When we selected our team, we had a vision of the kind of soccer we wanted to play.  We put players around Marta that we feel will think at her speed and compliment what she does.  So we have all the reason to believe it’s going to flow.”

Abner Rogers will have the honor of coaching Marta with the Sol, and he was quick to rip off a slew of attributes she will bring to The City of Angels.

“She has great technical skills,” he said.  “She can beat players off the dribble one-on-one, she can score goals.  She works extremely hard on defending.  People don’t see how hard she works when she doesn’t have the ball.  She’s such a complete soccer player.  We can’t be happier having her.”

As of Monday’s announcement Rogers had yet to interact with Marta, but heard glowing reports about his new superstar.

“She’ll surprise you with how hard she works in training,” a coach in the Brazilian program confirmed to Rogers.

That Brazilian side has fallen painfully short at the last three major international tournaments.  They were defeated in extra time by the United States at the last two Olympics, and in between lost the World Cup final to Germany after dismantling the U.S. in the semi-finals.  On the club stage Marta has captured three league titles and a Champions League trophy playing for Umea IK.  Now she will attempt to bring that club success to WPS with the Sol.

“Of course I am sad I am leaving (Umea), but I am happy because a new project is beginning,” Marta said from Zurich where the FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year announcement was made.  “I have in mind that a very competitive league will be created.  I think it will attract many players.”

Naimo agrees, and believes having Marta on board will benefit the Sol and other clubs as they attempt to sign their internationals.

“I think it’s going to really, really help all the other clubs finalize their international players,” he said.

As for the Sol, Naimo is hopeful the rest of the club’s internationals— France’s Camille Abily, China’s Han Duan, Sweden’s Johanna Frisk, and Japan’s Aya Miyama—will follow Marta to Los Angeles.

“Cautiously optimistic, but hopefully we will have good news on them by the end of next week,” Naimo said.

As for Marta, whose Swedish contract was up allowing her to come on a free transfer, she sounds raring and ready to go as she prepares to set sail on the next phase of her already remarkable career.

“I understand the challenge and project ahead of me with the Los Angeles Sol,” she said.  “I am ready to take it on and conquer all the objectives in front of me in the United States.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7536.aspx

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Sorry Oldham, no girls allowed

An astonishing plan to field the best woman footballer in the world was hatched by League One side Oldham, who intended to disguise her gender from their own players as well as the opposition.

Brazilian striker Marta, voted FIFA's top female player three years in succession, agreed to take part in the publicity stunt that was the brainchild of Oldham managing director Simon Corney and a TV production company, who wanted to make a documentary about whether a woman could hold her own in the men's pro game.

And super publicity-conscious Corney, whose team are wearing pink shirts in a League match against Leeds United to promote a breast cancer charity, was hoping Marta's match would help to put Oldham Athletic on the worldwide football map - such would be the interest.

FA laws state that boys and girls can be part of the same team only up to the age of 11.

The idea was for Marta, who has recently joined Los Angeles Sol, to come on as a substitute in a pre-season game under the pretext of being a trialist. And it was thought it would have been possible to mask that she was female for a short period. Also, her late appearance would have allowed her to stay away from her team-mates in the dressing room before the game.

However with Marta ready to fly over at a moment's notice from her previous club side Umea in Sweden, Oldham had a change of mind. Chief executive Alan Hardy, a highly experienced football official, and manager John Sheridan were the leading voices in opposition.

Hardy said: 'There were discussions with a TV company who have done work for Channel 4, but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1145190/Charles-Sale-Sorry-Oldham-girls-allowed.html

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League.'

??? I wonder what that means.  I m sure she would have raised her game to the higher level.  Could they catch her, thats what Id like to know!

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League.'

??? I wonder what that means.  I m sure she would have raised her game to the higher level.  Could they catch her, thats what Id like to know!
I think it probably means she'd be better than the Oldham men, and they, as well as the league, would be a bit miffed  :D