Author Topic: Marta  (Read 31291 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Marta
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »
Marta: A true virtuoso
Thursday 29 November 2007

For the fourth consecutive year, Brazilian maestro Marta is back among the finalists for the FIFA Women's World Player award. And after her spectacular showing at the FIFA Women's World Cup China 2007, she is in with a great chance of holding on to the coveted prize she picked up at the 2006 Gala. The gifted attacker is currently enjoying one of the most fruitful spells of her career, though the path to the summit of women's football has not always been easy.

Battling against the odds is something this prodigious 21-year-old has grown used to since taking her first steps in the game. Football may be a religion in her native country, but back in the days when the young Marta discovered her passion for the sport, girls were largely discouraged from playing, a standpoint shared by her family.

Determined to pursue her dream, Marta left her hometown of Dois Riachos at the age of 14 for the bright lights of Rio de Janeiro, starting out at Vasco da Gama before making the move to Sao Martins. In 2004, Europe came calling for the youngster, Marta packing her bags once more and heading for Sweden.

Aged just 18 and far away from her loved ones in a land where the language and weather were alien to her, the determined teenager sought to overcome the many obstacles she faced by showing just what she could do with a ball at her feet. When club side Umea offered her the chance she had been denied at home, she was eager to make the most of it.

And that is exactly what she did. Today, three years on, the free-scoring forward is a world star. As well as the glittering award she picked up in Zurich last December, the youngster has also pocketed two Pan-American Games gold medals, a silver medal at the Women's Olympic Football Tournament Athens 2004 with the Seleção, and a runners-up medal at China 2007, not to mention winning the UEFA Cup with Umea.

Yet nothing has moved her more, perhaps, than the recognition she received from her compatriots at the Estadio Maracana. It was there, at the temple of Brazilian football, that the No10 left her footprints in the Hall of Fame, becoming, in the process, the very first woman to line up alongside national legends such as Pele, Garrincha, Zico, Romario and Ronaldo, to name but a few.

Such is the sheer range of gifts at her disposal, it is difficult to describe what makes Marta such a special player. A mean turn of pace combined with the maziest of dribbling skills can unhinge even the tightest of defences. And with her innate goalscoring instinct, fearsome shooting ability, unselfish passing and willingness to help team-mates out of tight spots, she has become the complete player.

A reserved character off the pitch, she is the leader of the Brazil pack on it, bubbling with energy and seemingly immune to fatigue. Her only weakness is perhaps in the air, standing as she does a mere 1.60 metres tall.

The rest of the world caught its first glimpse of Marta when she took part in the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship Canada 2002 at the tender age of 16. And a year later she was back in the global spotlight at the FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003.

Seen as a promising rookie on those occasions, by the time Athens 2004 came around she was the undisputed star of the team and the foundation of their gold medal hopes - hopes that were ultimately thwarted by USA in an extremely close final. It was a role she occupied once more at the FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship Thailand 2004, and although Brazil limped home in fourth place, Marta's stunning individual performances earned her the adidas Golden Ball.

A brilliant 12 months was capped by her third place at the 2004 FIFA World Player Gala. A year later she had climbed into second place, duly completing her rise to the top in 2006. Clutching the much-coveted award in her hands, Marta announced her goals for the year ahead, and although her club missed out in the UEFA Cup final, the Brazilian sensation rediscovered that winning feeling when the girls in the canary-yellow jerseys struck gold at this year's Pan-American Games.

The FIFA Women's World Cup 2007 seemed set to cement Marta's status at the very top of the women's game. Though she may have missed out on a winners' medal, her performance throughout the event on Chinese soil was nothing short of outstanding.

Even taking into account her penalty miss at a crucial point in the final against Germany, Marta was undoubtedly the star of the show. Her seven-goal haul earned her the adidas Golden Shoe and she also took home the adidas Golden Ball award - 51 per cent of voters choosing her as the tournament's finest player.

Perhaps the match that will live longest in the collective memory was the semi-final clash against the USA. Marta delivered a sublime display, packed with skill and competitiveness, and capped it all with two superbly-taken goals. Having earned the admiration of football fans across the globe, the question is: what is next for Marta?

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=648395.html#marta+true+virtuoso

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
Marta Rocks ;D

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »
And she's signed for Umeå for another season
Alltid. Uansett.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »
world player of the year agian ;D

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
Marta: The place to be
FIFA - Monday 17 December 2007

The star of Swedish side Umea remains as enthralled as ever with the Gala, this despite making her fourth consecutive appearance at the event. FIFA.com caught up with the mercurial Auriverde star for a chat just before the big event.

FIFA.com: How does it feel to be one of the finalists at the FIFA World Player Gala for the fourth year in a row?
Marta: It's very satisfying and always great to come back here to celebrate this wonderful party. I'm proud to be here. I work towards this every year because it's a pleasure to be surrounded by all these people.

You have a chance of winning back-to-back titles and emulating the great Mia Hamm. How do you feel about that?It's a goal I set myself every year, as I want to show my full potential. That said, I have two great opponents here who will be very difficult to beat.

What is your opinion of your two rivals here at this year's Gala: Birgit Prinz and Cristiane?
Prinz has been a great player for many years now. She's a very intelligent footballer and someone who has already made her mark at World Cups and has a lot of knowledge to pass on to us younger players. Cristiane, meanwhile, is an up-and-coming talent who is making a big name for herself. While she still has lots to learn, she clearly has a promising future. They are two great players who have very different qualities and levels of experience.

What has been the highlight of 2007 for you?
It's hard to single out just one moment. For example, we took part in the Pan-American games, in which we played at the Maracana in front of 70,000 fans. That was a historic moment for all us Brazil players, as we never dreamed of having such an opportunity. It really was a unique moment. However, there were also many games at the World Cup (in China), like the semi-final against the USA and reaching the final against Germany. I believe that even though we didn't win the title, we still had a wonderful campaign and showed the world that one day we could be number one.

At the Pan-American games, you had the chance to leave your footprints in the Maracana's Hall of Fame. Tell us how that felt.
That was an enormous surprise. Not just anyone is asked to leave their prints there... it's full of superstars like Pele, Zico, Romario or Ronaldo. For me it was a tremendous honour to be the first woman and to open that particular door. Hopefully, we'll see more women's feet there in the future.

In a recent interview with us, Pele described you as "fantastic". How does it feel to hear something like that from O Rei?
(gasps) It's really nice to hear Pele say something like that, as he is the king of football and recognised the world over for his historic feats. He is also a role model for all of us who like football, so his comment really motivates me.

How can you improve your game?
I always keep in mind that I'm not the finished article, that's the only way you can ensure you keep on learning. I have to improve many things on the field, such as my right foot, my aerial prowess and my finishing. I have to fine-tune many aspects of my game and, to this end, I continue to work and develop.

Finally, what are your goals for the future?
There are a lot of things I still have to achieve. I want to win a title with the Brazilian national team. Then next year we have the Olympic Football tournament, although we still have to get past the qualifiers. If we do get to Beijing, for sure we'll be fighting for the gold medal. I also want to win the World Cup and return to this Gala many more times.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=663080.html#marta+the+place

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »
Marta top of the world again
Tuesday 18 December 2007

Umeå IK striker Marta emulated compatriot Kaká by being voted 2007 FIFA Women's World Player, retaining the title she won last year.

Honours
The 21-year-old helped Brazil to their first FIFA Women's World Cup final in China in September when she was named player of the tournament. She was also the key for Umeå as they reached the 2006/07 UEFA Women's Cup final, earned a place in this season's last four, and retained their Swedish title, scoring a league-leading 25 goals in the process. In the poll of national team coaches and captains, Marta finished ahead of Germany and 1. FFC Frankfurt forward Birgit Prinz, a three-time award winner, and in third was Brazil's Cristiane, who began the year with VfL Wolfsburg. Marta said: "I would like to thank God for allowing me to have this moment of great joy, and of course, I give thanks to all of my team-mates for my club and national team."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=639421.html

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
Brazilians take different paths to top of soccer world

Marta, Kaka regularly show why they are best players in world

You may not recognize the name Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, even though he is officially the best soccer player on the planet. The same may be true of Marta Viera da Silva, although her name does include a giveaway.

On Dec. 17, the world's leading soccer organization, FIFA, brought these two Brazilians to the Zurich Opera House so they could sing their praises as the best male and female players on the planet.

It is very difficult to argue with the results of this competition, which relies on votes from the coaches and captains of 165 nations whose choices were so overwhelming. The male champion collected more than double the vote of second-place Lionel Messi and the best female was close to twice as popular as German Birgit Prinz.

Allow me let you in on a few secrets about Kaka and Marta. Ladies first.

Anyone who saw the two goals Marta scored to help crush the United States in last year's World Cup semi-finals will understand why she is considered the best player in the women's game. For the first goal she beat six -- yes, six -- players before scoring low and hard. For the second, she picked up the ball wide left, cut inside, beat a defender by back-heeling the ball to the right, raced round the player to pick up her own pass, beat another transfixed defender, took two strides and crashed the ball into the corner of the net. Unstoppable, both times.

Dazzling onlookers, terrifying opponents and winning difficult battles is what Marta has been doing ever since she decided she wanted to be a professional player in a country that barely recognized female players. She was seven.

Brazilian women were banned from playing the game by law until 1979 and the game was barely open to them 14 years later when Marta was fighting to play with boys.

Typical of so many rags-to-riches soccer stories that come out of Brazil, Marta came from an impoverished family. Her father, a barber, abandoned the family when Marta was young, so the fruitless effort to stop her playing with boys was left to her brother.

But her passion for the game was beginning to show. Simply put, she was better than the boys and would not be denied.

She was the best when she played on the streets with rolled-up plastic bags for a ball. She was the best when she played on a boy's indoor team. That's why one opponent refused to play against a girl and she was asked to leave.

From there, she played with a girl's team until it was disbanded and any soccer future looked bleak for this 14-year-old. It was then that a local soccer organizer persuaded her to take a three-day bus trip to Rio de Janeiro to try out for a team there. A tough decision for a backwoods girl. She came, they saw and she conquered.

Three years later, she was picked for the 2003 World Cup. Brazil did not shine that time. But Marta did.

Among those startled at her skills, her strength and her speed was Roland Arnquist, coach of Umea IK, a Swedish women's pro team. Marta was about to earn her first soccer paycheque.

Even that was a tough transition.

She had never seen snow before and Umea is just 240 kilometres from the Arctic Circle. She had never trained seriously, but now it was 10 practices a week. She had never seen the inside of a gym but when she was asked for 10 pushups she did double, when official practice stopped, she continued. And she couldn't understand a word of Swedish.

Today she is Umea IK's star, one of those very few players, man or woman, who has fans on the edge of their seats whenever they get the ball.

When Marta has it, something is about to set us gasping.

Last summer came the ultimate Brazilian accolade. Marta became the first woman to imprint her foot in wet concrete on the Soccer Walk of Fame at Maracana Stadium, the Mecca of Brazilian soccer.

So, how does Kaka stack up against that?

Here is a young man who had all the advantages of a comfortable middle-class Brazilian life. No poverty struggles for this young man. However, there was little to suggest he would be the world's best player, despite his remarkable skill levels. There are hatfuls of exquisitely skilful Brazilian soccer stars.

Kaka was a scrawny kid - thin as a rake you might say. So much so he needed hormone treatments to help his growth. He was unsure whether or not he wanted to make soccer his career until he was 15. Three years later he fractured a vertebra in his spine in a pool accident. He was lucky to recover.

His career was now travelling at great speed. In 2001, he was playing for Sao Paulo youth team. A year later he was with the seniors and in the same year he won a spot on the Brazilian squad.

Then it was off to Milan with his family in tow. He has already won a Serie A title and a Champions League medal.

So here they are, two Brazilians with totally different backgrounds

capable of electrifying fans with their twists and turns, there extraordinary talent. They make the game worth watching.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=5e003f40-c859-4eac-a262-da02b9c50932

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »
Marta eyes sweet revenge
Saturday 19 April 2008

Germany's 2-0 victory in the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup Final shattered Marta's dream of a first major trophy for Brazil. On a fateful day at the Hongkou Stadium in Shanghai, the tournament's outstanding player stepped up to take a penalty which would have levelled the scores, but Germany keeper Nadine Angerer was equal to her spot-kick.

It was with a heavy heart that Marta came forward to accept the adidas Golden Shoe and Golden Ball after the match. "If I'd scored, it could have been a completely different story. We might still have gone on to lose, or a goal might have given us a lift as a team. Fate decided Brazil were to lose the final," the 22-year-old reflects.

FIFA.com visited the 2006 and 2007 FIFA World Player at her home in Sweden, where she plays for Umea, and listened to her hopes for a revenge victory in 2011.

FIFA.com: Marta, are the 2011 finals the last chance for an entire generation of Brazilian women to claim a major trophy?
Marta: The 2011 World Cup is definitely a tremendous opportunity for Brazil. It's important we're not unlucky with injuries and that our players are in peak form. Maybe we'll get sweet revenge in 2011.

Brazil's jogo bonito won plaudits at the 2007 finals, but it was Germany who claimed the trophy. Do tactics matter more than skill?
That's a very difficult question. Germany and Brazil are both exceptional teams with contrasting styles of play. You could argue Germany were the better team because they won the Final, but it all comes down to details in the end.

Are Germany and Brazil the biggest favourites for the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011?
I think Germany and Brazil will be the favourites, but you can definitely never rule out Sweden, USA and Norway.

How do you feel about Germany hosting the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011?
Germany will lay on a superbly organised World Cup with plenty of events supporting the tournament itself. The 2011 World Cup will be a wonderful festival for the teams and the fans. Germany are one of the leading women's footballing nations and the infrastructure there is second to none. I think it's important for the women's game to stage the World Cup in a country where the conditions are truly excellent.

And what do you think of the German fans?
It'll be terrific if we play Germany in 2011. It would be a real thrill to take on Germany in front of a German crowd, particularly because of the special rivalry between Germany and Brazil which has developed in women's football over recent years, as everyone knows.

Are there any of the candidate Host Cities which particularly appeals as a place to play in 2011?
I've not thought about it yet. All that interests me is running out at the stadium hosting the Final on the last day of the World Cup.

How far can the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 contribute to the further development of the women's game internationally?
The World Cup is a fantastic platform for promoting the women's game above and beyond the countries like Germany and Sweden where it's already well established.

Could you see yourself coming to Germany one day and playing in the Women's Bundesliga?
It's a possibility. Obviously, I know the Women's Bundesliga is a strong league. I'm inspired by taking on strong clubs and competing in an attractive league. That could be something for the future.

You've been described as the female Ronaldinho. Is Ronaldinho your role model?
There's a lot of talk about this from time to time. I'm honoured by the comparison with Ronaldinho, he's a world football icon. But when I'm out there playing, I'm not thinking about role models.

Do you miss the Copacabana, or does the Arctic Circle feel like home these days?
There's not a huge amount going on in Umea, so you concentrate on doing your job. But I've been here five years now and feel like it's my home. The people here in Umea are really nice.

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/newsid=742296.html#marta+eyes+sweet+revenge

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »
Umeå's Marta to the cause
Monday 19 May 2008
by Sujay Dutt from Umea

Having failed to add to her very early strike at home against 1. FFC Frankfurt, Marta knows Umeå IK will have to score in the UEFA Women's Cup final second leg.

Perfect start
Absent from training on the day before Saturday's final first leg, two-time FIFA Women's World Player of the Year Marta struck just 12 seconds into the home game against Frankfurt. "When the ball went in I could hardly believe we had managed to score so quickly," said the Brazilian. "It wasn't something we'd practiced, but right before the match we talked about trying a long ball right from kick-off."

Rugged defending
Frankfurt were to equalise soon afterwards, and Marta was denied the opportunity to add to her tally by some rugged defending, which saw the striker receive treatment on the pitch for minor injuries. "It was a tough game physically," she conceded. "But we're used to it, we can cope with it. It's part of football at this level."

Missed chances
Marta was not the only danger for Umeå, with strike partner Madelaine Edlund also causing the Frankfurt back four problems, but she could not find the proper finishing touch on the day. "That's football," said the No9. "Sometimes you score, sometimes you don't. I wasn't tough and special enough today. If I can be tougher inside the box next match, then hopefully I'll be able to score."

Tough ask
That will be no easy task, with Frankfurt boasting home advantage and a grass – rather than artificial – surface in the return fixture. "After today's match Frankfurt just need to keep a clean sheet to be the champions," said Marta. "Of course, we'll try with all we have to break down their defence. One thing is for sure – Saturday's will be a more difficult match [than the first leg]."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/news/kind=1/newsid=697758.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
Marta earnt herself a red card in Umea's match against Malmo this week. Apparently she kicked her way free when she got tangled up with Malmo defender Emma Willhelmson, catching the defender in the stomach. As one Swedish fan has observed, she has become much better at controlling her temper over the years but this time she failed and she knew it.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
Was it anything like Alan Shearer did a few years ago and got away with it?
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
Was it anything like Alan Shearer did a few years ago and got away with it?
Sounds as if it was a bit different to me. As I recall Shearer seemed to step on the player already on the ground. In this case, Marta appears to have been struggling to get free and kicked out. Neither case is excusable but Marta's does seem to be a bit less premeditated. Umea fan says the Malmo crowd went all Frankfurt on her.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:14:16 AM by redrobin »

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »
Well - she'll get punished, unlike Shearer :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
they lost a lot of points last weeks
2 points behind linkoping now and they have one galme in hand

I hope they can make this good

bud its a proof they cant miss hanna   8)

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »
http://groups.msn.com/martafans/shirt.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=340

the newest member of my shirt collection ;D 8)
But - it's not signed - and no pic of you with her  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 01:59:24 AM »
that's for next time i meet her

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 12:15:06 AM »
that's for next time i meet her
Nice one Kevin ;)

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:14 AM »
Whoops.

I posted the video link in the Sweden forum, but not here. If I"d known there was going to be talk about it, I would have posted here as well:

http://fotbollskanalen.se/1.429059?videoId=1.497886

It seemed like the kick was very much intentional, as the player was already down, Marta gets tangled up, frees herself, then kicks the down player in the stomach. (And then you'll see Nilla Fischer run up and push Marta down on the ground, which earned her a yellow.)
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

shlj

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
I thought that kind of push was violent conduct and straight red  ???