Author Topic: Charlton Athletic on Radio 4 Woman's Hour  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Charlton Athletic on Radio 4 Woman's Hour
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
Just heard Charlton Athletic being discussed on BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour, an interview with Sue Tibbals of the Women's Sports Foundation and Rachel Pavlou of the FA.

The speakers cleverly linked the discussion to an earlier piece about children's health in the USA where today's children have a lower life expectancy than their parents, largely through junk food and obesity and lack of exercise.

The speakers seemed optimistic that the women's team will find a sponsor to allow the operation to continue at Charlton.  The amount needed is equal to a couple of weeks' wages for a top Premiership footballer, demonstrating the lack of balance at present.

They said in fairness that Charlton management are taking a lot of flak, but they would not be having this if they had not supported the women's team so well in the past.

At the end Rachel advocated a systematic and careful development of the game.  Sue said there would not be time for that and the time for more action is now.

Maybe the interview will appear later on their Web site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/03/2007_27_tue.shtml
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:04:46 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: Charlton Athletic on Radio 4 Woman's Hour
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Oh well seems like Charlton will still be with us afterall...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:49:54 PM »
Here's hoping it's all OK, after all.

Great spot, Alan - do you normally listen to Women's Hour?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:51:54 PM by redrobin »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
I'm glad I listened today - the interview was well researched and asked some of the right questions to two of the top women in the sport.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »
You can't kid me Alan. I bet you listen to every episode after a leisurely breakfast. ;)  :D

We do now know from this that there are people willing to put some money into Charlton's ladies section and that the sponsor wasn't invented by the management, as had been suggested. This is obviously good.

We have seen other clubs have their funding withdrawn and still continue, so hopefully Charlton will be able to as well. I would still be a bit cautious though, as we don't know what level they will be able to function at.

Does anybody know which/if any of the players were employed by the club?

I know it is easy to make comparisons with the financial side of the men's game. But do remember that the large sums of money involved there are because of the popularity of the product. We all know that women's football is not a popular spectator sport at league level. I will be interested to see if there will be any more spectators for Charlton's side next year if they continue.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
It beats wall-to-wall makeover shows on TV, and (as is well known) I have absolutely nothing better to do!
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »

Does anybody know which/if any of the players were employed by the club?

None, to my knowledge. Pauline Cope, our goalie until she retired in 2006, used to be employed by the club as a coach and development officer but that contract expired some time ago. One or two of the players have temporarily worked in the club office but only for short periods. There was certainly nothing on the scale of the practice at Arsenal.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »
Thanks for that RR. I know that quite a few of them are at Arsenal and Everton.

I only asked because, if that is the case for Charlton then it might help them to keep more of the players if they manage to continue.