Author Topic: Eniola Aluko  (Read 36404 times)

shlj

Re: Eniola Aluko
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
I think it is to get the girls prepared when they get through age group.
I don't think it is a bad thing in itself, but the overdoing on the defensive side in training is the bad thing for me.
Don't get me wrong, it's a basic in any sport team to sort the defense out first, but it has not to be detrimental of the attacking side of the game.
A balance has to be found.

shlj

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
From the fgmag article http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=5234

"We always knew it was going to be a tough game," Manager Mo Marley told Uefa.com. "Today we have to compliment Germany – they were a little bit smarter, a little bit cleverer with their play. We had a plan, but struggled to break them down. There was a lot of effort, a lot of application but I think we need to play a bit smarter.

"They were a bit cleverer about when to attack, when to defend, and I think that we had a Plan A but not a Plan B today – it's something we have to work on"

That what I meant, no plan B when plan A that has been worked on so hard fails, it does remind me of the USA game at the World Cup last summer. To be fair plan A worked well against Germany at the World Cup so it's not a bad plan at all but...

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:08 PM »
But as you say there should be options and if the system doesn't allow for it then you're going to be stuck....

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
From the Fair Game posting of the England team selection for the friendly against Germany.

"England are missing striker Eniola Aluko - as the fixture clashes with her graduation from Brunel University where she sealed a First Class Law Degree."

Maybe she wouldn't have been selected anyway for the game - her form suffered last year in a Chelsea team that always seemed disjointed. But major congratulations on the degree, Eni.  Can't be easy to balance study and sport at such a high level.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:17 AM »
Well done to Eni on getting a first ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
I have been told Eni is on fire with Chelsea at the moment and will benefit from the partnership with Lianne.
I wouldn't be surprised that she scores at least 20 this season, while Leanne should get at least 30, (Chelsea will play 32 games maximum this season ).

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
Tough Toffees
by Tony Leighton
Friday, 17 October 2008.

Chelsea Ladies v Everton Ladies
FA Tesco Women's Premier League
2pm, Sunday 19 October 2008
Metropolitan Police F.C., Imber Court, Thames Ditton

Chelsea are facing their biggest test of the season so far, says striker Eniola Aluko as the Blues prepare to face Everton in an FA Tesco Women’s Premier League clash on Sunday.

While Chelsea have won six and drawn the other one of their seven League games to date, Everton have a 100 per cent record from their five outings.

The Blues lie second in the table, two points behind leaders Arsenal and four points ahead of third-placed Everton, but with two games in hand the Toffees present a real threat.

England international Aluko says: "It’s going to be a tough game – Everton are a very good side, tenacious and tactically aware and they will make it really hard for us.

"It will be our most difficult game of the season so far, but we want to break up the Arsenal-Everton domination of the top two places so we’ll be aiming for three points.

"I’m confident we can get a result – we are now far more solid as a team than we were last season and we’ve got into the lovely habit of winning games consistently.

"The girls [Anita Asante and Lianne Sanderson] who joined us from Arsenal have helped bring in that winning mentality and there’s much more character about the team."

Aluko herself has blossomed this term – after scoring six League goals in the whole of last season she has hit eleven in seven outings in the current campaign.

"It’s been a fantastic start to the season for me," she says. "It’s gone better than I could possibly have imagined after the stop-start time I had last season.

"My team mates have been a great help and I could probably have score more goals, but I’m feeling very confident in myself and in the girls around me.

"The team spirit is tremendous and the bottom line is that we’ve not lost a game in League or Cup – and we aim to keep that record going on Sunday."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/PremierLeague/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/10/FAWPL_Chelsea_Everton.htm

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
Thought people might like to see this piece.

Not written by me, sadly, although it comes from the same paper.

Striker set to switch to States

By Simon Fitzjohn

Chelsea striker Eniola Aluko admits she needed little convincing to become part of the new American soccer revolution after being snapped up by St Louis Athletica.

Aluko will depart for the States this week to join up with her new teammates ahead of the launch of the Women’s Professional Soccer League later this Spring.

And the 22-year-old is relishing the challenge.

She said: “Everybody who plays football would love to go professional and I am no different.

“This is the type of thing I dreamed about when I was younger, but I never felt it would actually happen.

“They contacted me with their offer, and to be honest it was something I could not refuse.

“I’m really excited about going out there and being part of the new wave of women’s football.”

The England international was snaffled by St Louis as one of their draft picks, joining the cream of the crop in terms of women’s talent.

Athletica will be coached by Brazilian national boss Jorge Barcellos, and Aluko is itching to get started.

She added: “They flew me out there before Christmas to have a look around and the place was great.

“They told me they saw me play for England and said that I have all the attributes that they are looking for.

“They have sorted all my accomodation out there for me, and I cannot wait to get to test myself against the best players the world has to offer.”

Aluko’s final game for Chelsea was in Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Everton, and she admits part of her is sad to go.

She added: “It was not an ideal situation having to leave before the end of the season.

“I came to Chelsea with targets to win something before I left, and that won’t happen.

“But everyone is really excited for me, and I had a great leaving party.

“Now it is on to the next chapter of my life.”

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/4173342.Chelsea_star_in_shock_American_move/

shlj

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
I saw her against France yesterday and when she came on, she really unsettled our defence with her pace. If the St Louis coaches manage to improve her finishing, she really could be the solution of England center forward problem.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
Since Eni had already said all her goodbyes to her Chelsea and England team-mates and had arrived in St. Louis, there didn't seem much doubt that she had sorted everything out with the WPS team.

St. Louis have been rather slower than some of the other new WPS franchises in publicising the arrival of their players, but news of Eni's formal contract signing finally appeared yesterday, combined with news of Hope Solo's agreement with the club and that of several other new playing colleagues.

"Solo joins teammates Lori Chalupny, Angie Woznuk, Kia McNeill, Eniola Aluko, Melissa Tancredi, and Amanda Cinalli who have signed contracts with Athletica."

shlj

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 12:36:03 AM »
Eni has just scored her first goal for St Louis vs  Washington !

Offline october74uk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Yeps congrats to her. It was a well taken goal. Hopefully that will give her confidence for the future games.

I have been given the oppertunity to ask Eniola questions. Her answres will be posted soon here & in http://womanssoccerinsider.blogspot.com/

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 11:01:34 PM »
That should boost her confidence! She still needs to work on her passing and her touch though, but looking prominsing for England.
Athletica looked really upset after they lost their 2 goal lead, it must be gutting.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 01:11:45 AM »
Aluko Stars on Athletica Frontline

by Abigail LePeilbet, womensprosoccer.com
San Francisco - 28th May 2009

After a sluggish start, Saint Louis Athletica are turning things around. Women’s Professional Soccer’s fifth-place team has gone unbeaten, with a 2-0-2 record, in their last four games.

Standing out among the Midwest side is one of the five English players in the league, Eniola Aluko. She made the drastic transition to the Gateway City from England and has played a tremendous role in the team’s recent success.

After the season’s first two matches, the Birmingham, England native found her team without a point and without a goal. Aluko said the poor start has made Saint Louis strive to get better, mentally tougher, and a harder team to beat.

Since the Athletica offense ignited in a 3-3 tie against the Washington Freedom on May 3, they have scored in every game with Aluko as the only forward on the team to contribute a goal thus far – she has two on the season, but has played a role in three. Saint Louis’s other goals have come from midfielders: Daniela, now out for the season, and captain Lori Chalupny.

Last Saturday in a 2-0 triumph over the Chicago Red Stars, Aluko forced Red Stars ‘keeper Caroline Jönsson to go one on one with her in the box. She then sent a cross towards the goalmouth, but saw it deflect off a Chicago defender and into the goal. The speedy forward later iced the game with a power shot from 10 yards out into the back of the net. Aluko also scored in the match against the Freedom.

“I am delighted to have scored twice especially as we were having problems scoring in the beginning,” said Aluko. “My game has developed so much in such a short space of time in every way. Tactically, technically and physically I am better because I have to be.”

Aluko’s growth will prove important this weekend as Jorge Barcellos’s team will meet league-leading Los Angeles Sol, who doubled their lead to six points in the WPS standings last week. In Week Five, the two played to a 0-0 tie.

“It will take hard work and certainly belief that we can beat them [Los Angeles],” said Aluko. “Barcellos is always telling us to mark tight and win our individual battles so we have to do that to have a chance of winning. We also need to take our chances if they occur because Los Angeles is a tough team so we probably won't get too many opportunities to score.”

Not only is Aluko looking to secure an upset against the Sol this weekend, but she also knows her play in WPS will impact her selections to the English Women’s National Team.

“It feels good to be representing England on the scoresheets of WPS,” she said. “With the European championships coming up, it is key that I perform well and stake my claim in the national team. I am happy that the other English players are doing well too. It certainly says a lot about the progression of English women's soccer.”

In a league that has presented the opportunity for new stars to take the stage, the English Internationals are definitely reaping the benefits. Aluko has made a name for herself the past few weeks as an impact forward for Saint Louis and is in good company throughout the league with fellow English teammates Kelly Smith and Alex Scott making waves in Boston, Anita Asante playing tough defense for Sky Blue FC, and Karen Carney shining for the Chicago Red Stars.

How well Aluko continues to play will be a determining factor in how far up the standings Athletica climbs.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/spotlight/090528-aluko

shlj

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
It can only benefit England if Eni can improve her weakest point by training everyday.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »
She is starting to shine ;D

shlj

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 08:10:40 AM »
Breakers lose again, 1-0 to St Louis Athletica, Aluko scoring, using her pace to run onto a through ball and nutmeg the keeper, nice.
If Eni can keep that kind of accuracy dring the Euros she is going to be a huge asset for England

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
She still needs to work on her passing and her touch though, but looking prominsing for England.

I was really impressed with her passing in last night's match, simple but effective. Great finish on the goal too. I'd expect her to start for England if she keeps playing with the confidence she has now; well done Eni!

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Eniola Aluko - WPS's Player of the Week for Week 12
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Saint Louis forward Eniola Aluko has been selected WPS's Player of the Week for Week 12 after scoring just before halftime to lead visiting Athletica to a 1-0 triumph over the Boston Breakers. The Englishwoman finished a through ball from Kendall Fletcher, the only goal in three WPS matches this week and her third of the season – as Saint Louis vaulted into second place in the standings.

Aluko is the third Athletica player to receive Player of the Week honors, joining Lori Chalupny (Week 7) and Jillian Loyden (Week 9). The WPS Player of the Week is selected by a panel of writers from the North American Soccer Reporters.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/090616-aluko-pow.aspx

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 10:48:12 PM »
Well done Aluko  :)