Author Topic: Eniola Aluko  (Read 20406 times)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
The fashionistas of futbol - Eniola Aluko
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »
The fashionistas of futbol
By Mary Buckheit

Ladies have style too, go on brush your shoulders off.

Much is made every year about the fine threads and three-piece suits seen at the NBA draft. The WPS (Women's Professional Soccer) is in its first season of operation -- so it's only had one real draft -- but that doesn't mean they're behind the times. These soccer stars bring the sass and set their own trends; but you don't have to take my word for it.

ENIOLA ALUKO
Team: Saint Louis Athletica
Style: Classy/preppy/bold/rich colors

Your hometown is Birmingham, England. You've played for Chelsea and lived in the UK's poshest corners. What fashion tips would you offer Americans?

Well, I think that British style is a lot more polished than the American style of dress. A lot of fashionable clothing in England is fitted. People who enjoy fashion in England really go all-out and sometimes over the top, whereas I feel the American style is much more laid-back. So maybe a tip would be for people to celebrate their body shapes by wearing clothes that are fitted.

What are you most comfortable in on days off?

Back home in England, I like to wear a nice pair of fitted jeans with a smart cardigan or long T-shirt. However, my everyday wear has changed substantially since I have been in St. Louis, because I can't cope with the heat! Now you will catch me in a lot of summer dresses, or simple shorts and a T-shirt with sunglasses and my red Cardinals hat.

Tell me about the styles of your teammates.

I have to say that we are all pretty stylish in our own way. I'm the prep. The pretty award goes to my good friend Sheree Gray. She has great style. Sporty, I would say Hope Solo. And I would say Melissa Tancredi is sassy -- Tanc can rock the sporty old-school trainers, a dress and heels, and everything in between.

How does the style of American women stack up to the English sporty spice?

The style in the States is laid-back and relaxed. I like that everybody wears college merchandise here. I think it is cool that people celebrate their educational institutions through clothing. I see a lot of Notre Dame T-shirts, since we have four players who schooled there. In England the style of female soccer players ranges from very cool to pretty shocking!

full article, inc. Osbourne, Mitts & Kai here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=buckheit/090626

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Eniola Aluko
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »
Another assist from Eni - Saint Louis beat the Sol on their own Carson turf.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Saint Louis Athletica clinch second spot in the WPS with yet another Aluko winning goal. Our Eni has been one of the season's top performers in the new league. ;D ;D

shlj

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »
Training every day has definitely improved her.

Offline october74uk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »
yep she has done well...looked really sharp. Lets hope she transfers this to the national team.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
Brum, Charlton, Chelsea and Brunel's finest made the WPS All Star XI for the League's inaugural season along with the ex-Arsenal duo Kelly and Alex.

Amongst the WPS coaches, Eni was rated amongst the top three players.

footiechicksotherhalf

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
Well done Eni. She has her critics but i have to say i'm not one. She always gives her all when i've seen her play and hopefully she's going to be an asset out in Finland.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
I admit I was a critic  ;) And am pleasantly shocked at the amount of praise she has received in the WPS  :)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Aluko all out for England victory
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »

Wednesday 2 September 2009 by Trevor Haylett from Turku Stadium

She has a first-class law degree and once scored the only goal in a FA Women's Cup final but Eniola Aluko still gets excited when big things happen to her – and Thursday's quarter-final against Finland definitely comes into that category.

Warm memories
The teams faced each other in their opening fixture of the UEFA European Women's Championship that England hosted four years ago and Aluko still has warm memories of the occasion. She hopes the game in Turku will recapture the euphoria she felt when England edged a thrilling encounter with a last-minute winner.

'Ecstatic' feeling
"It's a great memory for me as there were 30,000 people in the stadium and it was a very tough game," Aluko recalled. "We went 2-0 up before Finland came back and then Karen Carney scored a great winning goal. I was ecstatic, as if I had scored the goal myself, and I hope to have the same feelings tomorrow. It's exciting to be in the quarter-final against the host nation and it's going to be a great occasion. I'm sure every player will give 100 per cent because it's one of the biggest games of our careers."

'Great confidence'
Aluko, who scored the equaliser against Russia in a Group C game that England went on to win 3-2, says her experience of playing in the United States for Saint Louis Athletica has helped her in this tournament. "I see myself as a girl from Birmingham who is fortunate to play in a great league and to play alongside someone like Marta gives me great confidence," she added. "I've scored some important goals through the season and it was a great honour to be voted into the Women's Professional Soccer All-Star XI.

'No fear'
"I've improved in every way and have become a stronger player. Every game there is a big occasion and playing in a tournament like this is no longer a fear for me." She scored the winner for Charlton Athletic WFC in the 2005 FA Women's Cup final against Everton LFC and naturally would like to add to her tally in another high-profile fixture. "Of course the object for every striker is to score goals but the main thing is that the team wins. If we win and I score then that's even better."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woco/news/kind=1/newsid=881431.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 02:34:50 AM »

"Of course the object for every striker is to score goals but the main thing is that the team wins. If we win and I score then that's even better."

Even better indeed - cracking performance in the 3-2 win over Finland and her second goal was a stormer.

leanne

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
I only saw 2 of the euro's games the england semi and england final but was really impressed by eni.  She seemed to have been scoring for fun in the USA.

shlj

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
I think Eni has settled the who should be England number 9 debate with perofrmances at the Euros.
If you look at the WC2007 and even the qualifiers games she is a different player now. 

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
I think Eni has settled the who should be England number 9 debate with perofrmances at the Euros.
If you look at the WC2007 and even the qualifiers games she is a different player now. 

She certainly has improved a lot since her move to America.

I wonder how Lianne will progress should she decide to move across the atlantic
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
Catching Up with Eniola Aluko

Saint Louis Athletica
5th November 2009

Eniola Aluko has not had much time to catch her breath since her first season with Saint Louis Athletica ended. Aluko had to depart St. Louis before the season was even finished since she was required to report to England’s training camp in preparation for the 2009 Women’s European Championships. In fact, her last game with Athletica was on August 9 in San Jose, California. 48 hours later she was back across the Atlantic.

The European Championships turned out to be a coming out party for Aluko on the international stage. She was able to continue her fine play from the WPS season as she carried her scoring touch straight into the tournament in Finland.

“Personally, I think I had a successful tournament and was pleased to score such a memorable winning goal against Finland,” said Aluko from London. “It was very important for me to have a good tournament to continue the momentum I gained in St. Louis. I feel that getting to the Euro final made up for the disappointment I felt after missing the playoff game against Sky Blue FC.”

Aluko’s England survived the group stage of the tournament, and eventually advanced to the championship where Germany beat them 6-2. Aluko’s fine goals, including a 50-yard run and score, capped off a terrific 2009 season for her. She would score three times while in Finland and add one assist.

Aluko has been busy with her other career, law, since returning from Finland. But she did get to enjoy a holiday in Egypt with her family where she was able to watch her brother, Sone Aluko, represent the family’s native Nigeria in the U-20 World Cup. Sone Aluko plays professionally for Aberdeen in the Scottish Premier League.

“Unfortunately, the Nigerian boys did not do very well and only reached the play off stages, but I am sure there is more to come from them in the future,” exclaimed Aluko. “Nigeria definitely has bundles of talent in the team.”

In Egypt Aluko and her family took a Nile cruise, and got to ride on camels around the pyramids.

“My family socialized with the players and managers from all the World Cup teams,” said Aluko. “It was a lot of fun!”

Aluko is currently working as a paralegal at the law firm of SC Andrew in London. Her work there will conclude in February when she returns to St. Louis to begin Athletica’s pre-season camp. Aluko has also begun work on her New York bar legal course, which she describes as “quite intense.” Her daily duties at SC Andrew keep her extremely busy for now.

“My main role is to assist the solicitors (attorneys) in their legal research. The research I do is used either to advise the client or to build a case that is going to court. Because SC Andrew is dedicated to litigation, I also get to do fun things like take documents to court, and sometimes I actually attend live court cases with the clients.”

An offseason in London for a soccer fanatic like Aluko should bring plenty of chances to see big matches, yet Aluko has been so busy she has not been able to attend one. Although, she will be in the stands at the November 9 Chelsea v. Manchester United match at Stamford Bridge, which should make up for not being able to see any games thus far. Aluko also recently went to a stage production of the American film The Shawshank Redemption. Leaving London would seem tough but Aluko is eager to get back to St. Louis.

“I am looking forward to the forthcoming WPS season. It has been exciting to see the movement of all the players. It is a sign that all the teams are going to be even stronger for the new season,” stated Aluko. “I have missed seeing my teammates in St. Louis everyday at practice, but it has been nice getting updates from them about how their offseason is going.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/stlouis/news/general/091105-catching-up-with-aluko.aspx

Good to see Eni got her priorities right yesterday. She was watching the Chelsea/Arsenal game at the Met. ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:14:51 PM by redrobin »

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
She's become a fan favorite in St. Louis, and her scoring was truly missed in the game against SBFC.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
Eni appointed Ambassador to Charity

Women's Soccer Scene
25 Feb 2010

Footballing siblings Eniola and Sone Aluko have joined forces with Soccer AM's Rocket Long to help Kenya's street children.

The trio have been appointed as Ambassadors for Glad's House, a UK charity which is working to lift the street children of Mombasa, Kenya out of a life of horrendous poverty by providing them with a place to live, education and training for the future.

For a number of years, Glad's House has given the children a taste of a normal childhood by running sports sessions and Soccer AM's viewers have generously donated thousands of football shirts. Rocket has already seen their work first hand, having visited Kenya in 2008.

The charity will start work this year on a permanent refuge which will house up to 60 children at a time.

England International Eniola Aluko moved to the UK from Nigeria when she was one year old but maintains strong links with Africa. Her brother Sone plays in the Scottish Premier League with Aberdeen and is a member of the Nigerian international squad. Both of them are delighted to be supporting Glad's House.

Eni comments: "My brother and I have both gained so much from having sport in our lives and also having a supportive family and many opportunities. We want to help those children who have no opportunities and no hope.

Sone adds: "Growing up with a supportive family around and coming through a professional football set up, I realise the great opportunity and platform it gave me in life to achieve some of my dreams. My sister and I are honoured to be made ambassadors of Glad's House, an effective charity dedicated to giving the street children their own opportunity to a live meaningful life.

Work on the Glad's House Refuge will begin this summer. It will be built from scratch and will be designed to provide a safe launching pad for the rest of the child's life.

Children will stay at the refuge for up to six months at a time and, ideally, will then return to their parents. Where this is not possible, the children will be placed with foster families and attend local schools. Children who have missed too much school to return to the system will be helped to learn a trade or find an apprenticeship.

Rocket Long says: "Everyone at Soccer AM - viewers, presenters and producers - has been very impressed by the work of Glad's House. When you see for yourself what can be done by a few determined people, it makes you want to do more. So I am thrilled to have been made an Ambassador for their work."

http://www.womenssoccerscene.co.uk/index.htm

Sylvain

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
A double for Eni for the opening of the season. The WPS has made her a different player from the one that left Chelsea last year.  She is now leading the goalscoring chart.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
She is the first player of the week in the new WPS season:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/100413-Aluko-Award.aspx

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
With Saint Louis Athletica folding mid season, Eni has moved to Atlanta Beat for the rest of the WPS season 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:52:38 AM by pat51 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
A good goal for Eni in the Marta XI v Abby XI All-Star match on June 30:
WPS videos: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/bayarea/video/index.aspx
Alltid. Uansett.