Author Topic: Lianne Sanderson  (Read 26690 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Re: Lianne Sanderson
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
she has a long way to go to be perfect - and I would put Rooney in the same envelope as her. moany groany...at least he smiles sometimes, particularly when he scores 4 goals in one match... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Remember she played with better players at Arsenal so sometimes gets frustrated at bad passes etc.

Nice to see Lianne confirming what I always thought.

Lianne: "I came from Arsenal where we won almost every time and I don’t like to lose. I’m not a BAD loser, I’m just competitive and want to win."

Source: Shekicks.net

Sylvain

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
Hope Powell & Lianne Sanderson have NO hope together

August 11th, 2010
Article written by Jacob Omolaso for ladiesprofessionalsports.com

Hope Powell has a nucleus of players at her disposal but her relationship with her players is starting to expose some interesting revelations.

In my pursuit to unearth the relationship between Hope Powell and Lianne Sanderson, the personnel issues for the England women’s football came to light recently when Hope Powell selected the team to play against Turkey for the World cup qualifier on Thursday 29th July 2010.

The team was announced on 12th July 2010; however an article on the FA website stated that: “slight injuries to Kelly Smith and Karen Carney have rendered the American-based duo unavailable for selection”.

However the website for Women’s Pro Soccer (WPS) league in the United States illustrated that the girls played as followed;

Karen Carney played 82 minutes and a full game of 90 minutes, respectively on Wednesday 7th July 2010 and Saturday 10th July 2010.

Kelly Smith played 87 minutes and 84 minutes, respectively on Sunday 4th July 2010 and Sunday 11th July 2010.

Both women continued to play in every game since the above dates.

In seeking retraction from the England FA, I was advised by the PR Manager that the women had a “slight injury knock” and therefore it was not worth the journey from the United States; and “this was an opportunity for them to rest”.

Another team selection has been announced on 5th August 2010 for the game against Austria in Krems on Saturday 21st August 2010. The England FA website headlined “Smith and Carney recalled”, but Karen Carney was substituted by her club Chicago Red Stars, after playing 46 minutes due to an injury.

Hope Powell might just advise Carney to rest yet further. However reviewing past England FA physiotherapist assessment on players such as Anita Asante, who was played in Euro 2009 despite injuries, suggest Chicago Red Star’s investment in Carney might just be pointless. Anita is now plying her trade successfully with Washington Freedom in the US WPS league.

Anita Asante was once Hope Powell’s survivor but no longer on the selection list for England at the age of 25, and neither would England fans see Lianne Sanderson play for England under Hope Powell. I suppose this is the end to an era of quality and pleasing, watchable football by England Women. Lianne Sanderson is being excluded from the England setup at the age of 22 years old, after being selected into the England squad five years ago by Hope Powell. This has been five years of insult and degradation to which no adult should tolerate in their profession.

I am sure Lianne Sanderson will tell the football community in her autobiography about how she remained composed after travelling from America to Spain and not making at least the substitution bench, and sometimes being made to do intensive training an hour after arriving on a long flight from America.

What was the point of Hope Powell selecting Lianne Sanderson, when there is a total dislike for Lianne? I guess the media knew Lianne Sanderson’s winning success with Arsenal LFC, and Hope Powell couldn’t resist an intelligent skilful and likeable player. 

The England FA website did not bother to give any reason for Lianne’s omission from the squad. However, I spoke to the FA’s Public Relations Manager, who confirmed Lianne Sanderson will no longer be available for selection under Hope Powell.  There seems to be a tussle between Hope Powell finally admitting to the general football public that she does not like Lianne Sanderson – hence the reason she does not play her- And Lianne having had enough of accumulating air miles having rarely played any football with England.

Lianne Sanderson has always been an outcast with Hope Powell’s England setup, maybe because Lianne did not bond with Hope Powell as the rest of the players at Loughborough’s National Player Development Centre. Lianne played within the junior England setup and the 1st team without the England development programme. Lianne has natural ability for the game and was developed further by Arsenal FC under the youth development programme. 

There will be players who possess a similar ability to Lianne’s in the England setup in the future, but the last decent and watchable game for England happened to be Lianne’s last game against Austria on 25th March 2010. All the games since Austria have been shocking to watch.

The England FA board and the Professional Football Association remain quite on the England Women’s issues, which they should be leading. I wonder if the women’s game is still a token gesture and an unnecessary distraction which needs to be sidelined. I suppose the men’s team is suffering just as much and in much need of intensive care.

Article written by Jacob Omolaso on behalf of ladiesprofessionalsports.com
 © Ladies Professional Sports Limited. All rights reserved

http://ladiesprofessionalsports.com/Blog/hope-powell-lianne-sanderson-have-no-hope-together/

Sylvain

Lianne Sanderson quits England after falling out with Hope Powell
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »
The England striker Lianne Sanderson has retired from international football at the age of 22, citing personal issues with the national coach, Hope Powell, as the reason for her shock decision.

"The problem has been ongoing for a few years," said Sanderson, who plays for Philadelphia Independence in America's Women's Professional Soccer League. "Whenever I've been playing well I don't think I've been given a fair chance. I feel like it's personal and it's got to the point where I can't take it any more. I don't want to turn my back on my country but as long as Hope Powell is in charge I don't see myself going back and I don't think she would want me there."

Powell will not be drawn on the situation, saying: "This was Lianne's decision and I respect that but I will not beg anyone to play for England."

The breaking point for Sanderson, who has scored eight goals in 29 England appearances, was having to watch from the stands rather than being a member of Powell's match-day squad for June's 2-2 World Cup qualifying draw with Spain in Aranda de Duero.

"I've no divine right to be in the team or on the bench," the former Arsenal and Chelsea player said, "but how can you fly me from America to Spain and then put me in the stand? Earlier in the year I'd scored a goal and set up two against Austria but a week later didn't even get on the pitch against Spain [at Millwall].

"After the game in Spain I was so upset; I was an emotional wreck. And I'm still absolutely gutted. To want to do what I've done at 22, that's a sorry state of affairs."

While Sanderson now focuses her attention on helping Philadelphia reach the WPS play-offs, Powell's immediate concern is guiding England to next year's World Cup. They face Austria on Saturday in a qualifier in Krems and are already assured of winning their group but must still progress through play-offs next month to reach the finals in Germany

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/16/lianne-sanderson-quits-england

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »
Drama in the england camp!
I wonder if we're going to get more of this as women's football gets bigger in our country.
Poor Lianne, it sounds like she's had a hard time but then again maybe shes been hard to manage? But she seemed to be managed ok at arsenal, chelsea & philly

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Anita Asante was once Hope Powell’s survivor but no longer on the selection list for England at the age of 25, and neither would England fans see Lianne Sanderson play for England under Hope Powell. I suppose this is the end to an era of quality and pleasing, watchable football by England Women. Lianne Sanderson is being excluded from the England setup at the age of 22 years old, after being selected into the England squad five years ago by Hope Powell. This has been five years of insult and degradation to which no adult should tolerate in their profession.

Whats this about Asante?  if she's being dropped from the side then thats more of a story than Sanderson to be frank.... I remember there were funny goings on in the run up to the last World Cup mostly centering round the old Unitt... Asante though was the main stay of the side and without her would tend to struggle as they did in the Euros when she was injured for the second game.  Sanderson though is a bit more of a luxury, it is a shame though that she's so upset.. By coincidence I was listing to Craig Brown on the radio the other night and he discribed his stratage for approching players not picked for the side,,,,seems old Hope doesn't have one or its not very good especally if she's giving people the impression that they are not wanted or liked even...to allow a situation like this to develope is bad management to be honest...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
Whats this about Asante?  if she's being dropped from the side then thats more of a story than Sanderson to be frank....

That is debatable. 
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
I shouldnt think Asante is being dropped, surely its more to do with her not having much game time since her injury.
Or does this guy know inside information as Asante is good friends with Lianne, maybe she holds something against Hope for playing her injured as this guy is implying - another relationship break down with the manager?

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
Also this is what Lianne wrote after the England Spain game in July
'sometimes in life you make decisions and live with regret and the consequences,but when you no your right its intirally justified,sometimes you got to no when enough is enough and i did!yes its never going to be easy,but people cant think its ok to treat people so bad and get away with it!'

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Whats this about Asante?  if she's being dropped from the side then thats more of a story than Sanderson to be frank....

That is debatable. 

Really? If she is got injury issues and will come back eventually then fine but if she is being dropped all together then that's another story.  Especally the thought process that arrived at the conclusion that they don't need her as they so obviously do....

Offline treble99

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
In my opinion.....is this a case of the tail trying to wag the dog??
as good as Sanderson is, to retire at 22 is a joke cos she wasn't picked by Hope Powell....parity with the mens game means acting / being professional,  if she was 34 and asked to sit in the stand, I'd have  more sympathy but 22 !!!!

If something personel was going on to cause a breakdown between the two...keep it in house, Powell can't win, she can't comment on the REAL reason (if there was one!?) so we'll only get one side of the story.

Sanderson should've shown the manager exactly why she should've been picked by playing well in her club or training session games turn the negative into a positive !! tell the manager to "fck off!" that way, FORCE her to pick you...
A manager doesn't have to like a player to pick them but will respect the players ability, same as a player doesn't have to like a manager, but they have to respect their decisions...I'm sure Powell is professional enough to respect and appreciate a player of Sanderson's ability.

Sanderson would do herself no harm by writing to the FA and retracting her resignation admitting she acted emotionally NOT logically.

I for one would like to see her in an England shirt again but perhaps the events at the world cup with France was too impressionable on her...retiring at 22 GROW UP !!

Sylvain

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
Sanderson should've shown the manager exactly why she should've been picked by playing well in her club or training session games turn the negative into a positive !! tell the manager to "fck off!" that way, FORCE her to pick you...
A manager doesn't have to like a player to pick them but will respect the players ability, same as a player doesn't have to like a manager, but they have to respect their decisions...I'm sure Powell is professional enough to respect and appreciate a player of Sanderson's ability.
You can't force a manager to pick you up if he/she dislikes you whatever you are contributing to the best team in the country.
30+ goals in 05/06, 40 goals in 06/07, 51 in 07/08 and she couldn't get a proper chance.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
You can't force a manager to pick you up if he/she dislikes you whatever you are contributing to the best team in the country.
30+ goals in 05/06, 40 goals in 06/07, 51 in 07/08 and she couldn't get a proper chance.

I think Hope came under a lot of pressure to pick Sanderson for the squad from various quaters including Old Vic and she seemed to take the attitude well I'll pick her for the squad but I won't play her, or not very much. I certainly think there's been a lot of politics involved....Hope has had the patience of a saint with Eni Aluko who has only recently come good yet she gave scant regard to Lianne...Hope has actually been a bit vocal about players as well on one occasion singling out Fara Williams for a berating, which may have been better kept inhouse.  I think Hope may have reached her sell by date and if more players start dropping out it may end up like Fabio Capello's tottering regime...

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
I did hear there is a lot of discontent in the squad with the management and this is not a new issue.  In my opinion having a woman manager promotes the chances of using favouritism and indulging in clickiness within the squad.  My feeling and I am not alone in this feel there should be a male manager and female deputy.  This is not at all a chauvinistic outlook I just think it would be beneficial to the womens squad, especially at the moment.

Sylvain

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
In my opinion having a woman manager promotes the chances of using favouritism and indulging in clickiness within the squad.  My feeling and I am not alone in this feel there should be a male manager and female deputy.  This is not at all a chauvinistic outlook I just think it would be beneficial to the womens squad, especially at the moment.
I am not sure, you get the same problem with players being favoured with male mangers (ex Beckham under Eriksson or not favored like Cantona and Ginola in 96 for France). Funnily enough the same kind of noises were coming from the French camp back in the Elisabeth Loisel time.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2010, 04:53:48 PM »
imo she is no great loss - she has not lived up to her reputation since leaving Arsenal, for club or country.
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
imo she is no great loss - she has not lived up to her reputation since leaving Arsenal, for club or country.

She is a great loss. Form is temporary, class is Permanent. 
A player does not lose their natural ability by the time they turn 23.  Do you not remember what Kelly Smith said to Vic Akers when she first saw Lianne in action?
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
in your opinion matey..........she is not as good as people make her out to be, in mine. I dont recall that conversation, maybe I was talking to someone else at the time.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »
in your opinion matey..........she is not as good as people make her out to be, in mine. I dont recall that conversation, maybe I was talking to someone else at the time.

I think people like Kelly Smith and Vic Akers know what they are talking about.

This is what Vic had to say about a 15-year-old youngster in April 2003:

“Sanderson is going to be a big player in the women's game”

Shortly after Kelly Smith rejoined Arsenal Vic stated in an interview that Kelly had been amazed at the quality of Lianne Sanderson.

After we clinched our third consecutive title in 2006 Vic said:

“I…feel that Lianne Sanderson has been fantastic, she's improved beyond all doubt. We always thought she would be a good player and I look forward to seeing her as a regular at international level."

Vic had the following to say on Lianne’s rapid development after Arsenal’s 3-0 win against Everton in the Community Shield in 2006:

"Unbelievable. For a kid of her age, she's one that should be in the starting line-up for England. She's such an outstanding player on the ball, she's your release because she can hold the ball up for you. Otherwise you end up launching balls into areas where you're hoping pace will win you the night, but it doesn't because you end up isolating players in the wrong areas. That's why Lianne is such a wonderful option, she gets better and better in every game. She was outstanding in Germany in pre-season and also with the England Under-21s too."

When it was announced Anita and Lianne had left the club Vic said the following:

"They are two top-class players. Lianne picked up the top goalscorer award last year, in a season that she possibly feels was not her best playing season. In terms of scoring though she was phenomenal. She was going onwards and upwards and will hopefully be a big player for England in the future.

I thing we must all agree that Vic knows a talented player when he sees one.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
all managers make mistakes, even Ferguson has brought in a few donkeys in his time -

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
all managers make mistakes, even Ferguson has brought in a few donkeys in his time -

You have previously said: "she's a nasty moany groany player" when talking about Lianne. I think that shows you are biased.

Lianne has shown over a number of years that she is a really talented player.  The fact that she was drafted for the US league proves that she is regarded by people in the game to be one of the best players in the world.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:42:31 PM by John »