Author Topic: Transfer News and Gossip  (Read 390511 times)

Sylvain

Re: Transfer News and Gossip
« Reply #1000 on: June 29, 2012, 03:47:05 AM »
The full article :

FA Women's Super League team, Doncaster Rovers Belles, are set to become a force in the game again after securing a club-record six-figure three year deal with Innovation Financial Services Limited.

The two men behind the recently-formed company, Stewart Groves and Hugh McAuley - a former professional footballer - have previously advised top footballers such as Liverpool’s Jamie Carragher and Chelsea’s Gary Cahill as well as Harley Street surgeons.

“They are very successful people in their own field of expertise and they are also interested in football,” said manager John Buckley, who first met Doncaster-based Stewart at a social function he attended with Belles’ business manager Alan Smart - who has worked hard behind the scenes over the last six months to put the deal together - late last year.

“It’s a huge boost to the club to have them on board because we’ve lacked a major sponsor since Ben Bailey Homes pulled out a few years ago and we’ve struggled to compete financially with the other clubs at our level,” said Buckley.

“As a result of this deal we’ll be competing on a more level playing field. We still won’t be able to pay the sort of money that the likes of Birmingham are paying out, but we will be able to compete for good players again, which is obviously great news for the club.

“I’m not suddenly going to start throwing money around but if I can bring in two or three players who I think would do us a good job during the transfer window then I will - although they will have to come in on an 18-month contract because I’m already looking towards next season when I hope we’ll be competitive in all competitions.

“We’ll still be looking to try and bring girls through from our juniors because that policy has served us well and without producing our own players we wouldn’t be where we are now.

“But what I hope I will be able to do as a result of the sponsorship is to be able to keep them for ourselves and not just develop them for someone else as has happened in recent years.

“Hopefully we can reward Stewart and Hugh’s support by getting off the mark in the WSL in next Wednesday’s game at Lincoln.

“They’ve spent a lot of money
and are a good side. But if we play as well as we did at Bristol I think that we can get a result.”

;) lol joking aside, I am suprised that Buckley mentions huge sums paid by Birmingham. From what I know, that is not possible unless one player gets 80 % of the whole budget...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:50:12 AM by Sylvain »

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »
Donny have reinstated their reserve team so it looks like they are serious about developing their younger players aswell.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »
Donny have reinstated their reserve team so it looks like they are serious about developing their younger players aswell.

thats great news, for all concerned.

Elee Timp

« Reply #1003 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
Garrincha: Could it have something to do with Steve Shipway telling a national newspaper he was consigning the club to Carson Yeung in return for a £110,000 player budget?

This is exactly what happened the last time, players came from far and wide for "a new challenge" or because they "admired Marcus [Bignot]'s work."

Then when the money ran out, they couldn't leg it away quickly enough. You could hardly see them for dust!

Bilbo: Don't shoot the messenger, the text in the speech marks is direct quotes from John.

Sylvain: When Lincoln won their place in the WSL they obviously had to shell out. But, crucially, it was measured, sensible and sustainable.

They're working to a clearly-defined business plan, not playing 'Football Manager' with the cheat codes on!

Buckley usually talks a lot of sense but he was wide of the mark on that occasion.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »
Garrincha: Could it have something to do with Steve Shipway telling a national newspaper he was consigning the club to Carson Yeung in return for a £110,000 player budget?

This is exactly what happened the last time, players came from far and wide for "a new challenge" or because they "admired Marcus [Bignot]'s work."

Then when the money ran out, they couldn't leg it away quickly enough. You could hardly see them for dust!

Bilbo: Don't shoot the messenger, the text in the speech marks is direct quotes from John.

Sylvain: When Lincoln won their place in the WSL they obviously had to shell out. But, crucially, it was measured, sensible and sustainable.

They're working to a clearly-defined business plan, not playing 'Football Manager' with the cheat codes on!

Buckley usually talks a lot of sense but he was wide of the mark on that occasion.

paraphrase,
you uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
-Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Elee Timp

« Reply #1005 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »
please use all of your information on your "wiki", entertain everyone with your in depth knowledge.

RE this, yes I do waste inordinate amounts of time trying to fight women's football's corner on Wikipedia.

But it feels like banging your head against a brick wall.

The stupid, sexist rules there put people off - Clearly having some players "notable" (and some not) is offensive to clubs' team ethic so, quite understandably, they stay clear.

I think it would be a great idea to start an independent women's football Wiki.

Photographers could use it to get their work spotted. People with info could add it without fear of having their work deleted by an imbecile (as happens on Wikipedia). Clubs could use it to connect with their fans.

The FA could use it to explain themselves.

I'm fairly new to women's football but honestly, there is a breathtaking amount of hidden history out there.

</serious>  ;D

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »
great, honest post . kro.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »
marcus bignot, believed in womens football when pay to play was king.
look at his record when women were amateur, aluko, carney, etc.
he is not a political person, he loves womens football.

Sylvain

« Reply #1008 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
The transfer window for the WSL opens on the 13th of July.
The window for the WPL side  opened more than a month ago, if I remember well...

49yardtapin

« Reply #1009 on: July 10, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
Hearing the new Leeds United manager will be Andy Burgess, formerly of Preston North End Women...

Elee Timp

« Reply #1010 on: July 14, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/blufc/news/sears-hoping-to-sign-welsh-int-602852.html

Welsh international netminder Lauren Wells, ex of Arsenal and Bristol Academy, is back in football with ambitious Bristol Ladies Union.

She'll be playing in the SW combo - who will be allowing "rolling" subs this season. 

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/blufc/news/sears-hoping-to-sign-welsh-int-602852.html

Welsh international netminder Lauren Wells, ex of Arsenal and Bristol Academy, is back in football with ambitious Bristol Ladies Union.

She'll be playing in the SW combo - who will be allowing "rolling" subs this season. 

great idea, will allow younger players a chance without too much risk, and also a greater tactical battle for managers.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 14, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

It is actually the South West Regional League, the level below the Combo.

Lauren did play in the South West Combo last season , for Gloucester City.

Rolling subs is a good idea, I hope it extends into other leagues.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 14, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
Hi, pat51.
Thanks for the info.
But still a great idea?.
How about 5 subs, roll on/off?.
What do you all think?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 14, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Hi, pat51.
Thanks for the info.
But still a great idea?.
What do you all think?
Im totally against the idea in senior football.  The stronger squads will get stronger with it.  At the moment a lot of players will move to another club to get game time, if they know theyll get game time guaranteed whats the point in strengthening a potentially weaker team?

Massive no from me.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
Hi, pat51.
Thanks for the info.
But still a great idea?.
What do you all think?
Im totally against the idea in senior football.  The stronger squads will get stronger with it.  At the moment a lot of players will move to another club to get game time, if they know theyll get game time guaranteed whats the point in strengthening a potentially weaker team?

Massive no from me.
  Yes, not really thought of it that way.

I was thinking more of the chance for players at county and regional level to have a break if they are struggling to last 90 minutes. In many of the matches I have seen at that level there have been players who might benefit from that option.

I saw the system used in the Wiltshire County Cup and it worked well The Bristol manager points out the dangers of time wasting, so you would have to have a limit..even just the three substitutions maybe.

49yardtapin

« Reply #1016 on: July 15, 2012, 12:27:36 AM »
And a no from me. End up with a special teams package akin to American 'Football'. Mind you, might extend a few careers by wheeling them on to take freekicks etc then off again... ;D

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 15, 2012, 06:22:01 PM »
rolling subs - great at County level; not so sure about Combination level

Sylvain

« Reply #1018 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »
Rolling subs favors defense at the highest level : you can simply do a pressing as high as you want on the pitch as far as the opposition penalty area, win the ball easily and just strangle the opposition because as soon as a player is knackered you replace her. Result the opposition team can not attack except if the y play long straightaway or if they are Spain...

Offline Brenchers

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
Charlton have signed West Ham pair Gemma Shepherd and Kelly Cooper

http://www.cafcwomen.co.uk/news/double-hammers-swoop-499.php