Author Topic: Marian Central girls soccer team now rife with life skills  (Read 727 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Marian Central girls soccer team now rife with life skills
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
“Why did you pick us?” a girl asked while I strolled into girls soccer practice at Marian Central in early March.

At the time, I didn’t know how to answer her question. But after spending a season with the Hurricanes, I realized why: Everyone could relate to this team. They weren’t the best team in the area, and they didn’t have a dynasty to uphold, but that’s not what I was looking for.

For about three months, I followed the Marian girls soccer team with a video camera, chronicling the Hurricanes’ spring season – not only on the field but off it, telling video stories about the girls, the coaches and the season.

Marian had a fairly normal team dynamic: Nine seniors, nine juniors and two sophomores. Three senior captains led the way under the direction of a veteran head coach with a fiery assistant. But the stories that came from this seemingly ordinary team were far from it.

Head coach Jose Arias told his journey to the U.S. from Mexico and how he managed his full schedule of working and coaching. Maddy Mobile scored her 100th career goal, which put her among elite company in the IHSA record book. Two sets of sisters explained how they got along on and off the field. All of the girls shared their thoughts, hopes and dreams.

I have played soccer on many teams throughout my career and have gone through many seasons; some ended in success and some in defeat. Looking back, all of the important lessons I learned during that time didn’t have much to do with the sport I was playing. It was about learning life lessons rather than simply learning how to save a penalty kick.

At the end of my time with the Marian team, I asked the seniors what they had learned over the season. Not one of the nine said a new move with the ball or how to bend in a corner kick. They used words such as patience, friendship, discipline and determination. Those skills transcend the field and will help these young ladies throughout their lives.

It took a season of watching a team from first-game jitters to postseason success, from prom to graduation and from apprehension to confidence, for me to see what prep sports is all about.

It’s not all about the politics, the rivalries, the parents and the trophies. It’s about heart, and the Marian girls soccer team had more than enough to go around.

The video series can be found here -

http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/multimedia/projects/20070606theseasonmarian/

http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/articles/2007/06/06/spring_sports/girls_soccer/doc46665fa9d41bf403748880.txt
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:23:51 PM by David »