Author Topic: Norwegian players  (Read 12744 times)

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
Re: Norwegian players
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2007, 01:03:31 AM »
Great article, Alan. Thanks for posting it!

I think perhaps Ingvild may need to reconsider her career goals a bit. :) It's only a matter of time before she's asked to lead Norway as the captain. And I would be surprised if she didn't get an offer from the new U.S. league, assuming it gets launched.

But then again, not having any career goals has seemed to work thus far, so ...
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Norwegian players
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
OK, yes.  She looks the most likely one to take over from Ane Stangeland Horpested if Ane carries out her intention of retiring at the end of 2008. 

But I would be a little surprised if Ingvild went to the US as she has said she is not a great traveller and chose Gothenburg because she did not want to be too far from home, and from where she is she can get over to Kristiansand quite easily on the ferry.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Klaveness on Stensland
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »
Here's some more trivia, a bit from a Q&A session on the internet following the 2005 Euro Cup, hosted by Lise Klaveness:

"Hey, Lise, how come you shared a room with her from Kolbotn? does she snore?"

"Hey!! it's the top to share a room with Ingvild.  We have been best friends for 9-10 years, and know each other so well that there is never any irritation.  Ingvild does not snore.  In fact I often feel I should check her pulse, she lies so still at night that I sometimes wonder if she needs resuscitating.  On the other hand I hold a circus in the night.  Ingvild says that never a night goes by without me holding a long conversation with somebody or other".

Next question: "Silver in the European Cup is not bad.  How does it feel to play in a Euro final and know you are one of Europe's best woman players?"

"It was a huge experience to play in the Final at Ewood Park in front of 21,000 spectators.  Most of them were shouting for Norway, and we could see our Norwegian flag everywhere.  It was obviously satisfying to know that you are one of the best in what you strive to do".

"Who do you think was Norway's best player in the tournament and why?"

"A tricky question because there were several who performed well.  All in all I will say that Bente Nordby was the best player.  She is always good when it matters and had several spectatular saves that kept us in matches.  I don't think she is getting too old . . . otherwise Ingvild Stensland had a brilliant tournament.  She worked really hard and produced some brilliant results from dead-ball situations.  Also Solveig Gulbrandsen and Ane Stangeland should be very pleased with their own contributions".
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:11:40 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway Under-15 keeper injured in fire
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
Football talent Nora Neset Gjøen has a back injury after jumping from a third-floor window when her family's house caught fire on New Year's Eve.  "I was afraid the flames would take me at any moment", said 15-year-old Nora Neset Gjøen to VG.  When black smoke and flames blocked her escape route, Nora knew what she had to do: jump.

She was at home with her family on the island of Sotra west of Bergen when the fire started.  The family lost almost all they had, but nobody else was injured in the fire.  The young keeper has played three international matches at Under-15 and Under-17 this season.  She has what the doctors describe as a clean break in her back, between two vertebrae. But according to VG she will be all right.  "I have been told I will make a full recovery", said Neset Gjøen.

The police were alerted to a fire in Sotra at 22.47.  It was the cat's behaviour that made father Erlend Gjøen suspect something.  "We were downstairs with friends when the cat ran down to us.  It was so agitated that we knew something was going on".  Meanwhile son (14) and daughter (15) were in the loft.  The boy ran down the stairs but the girl jumped from the third floor.  "She is injured but stable", said Haukeland hospital in a press statement.

Brother and sister Jonas and Nora were sitting upstairs watching a film when they suddenly smelled smoke.  They opened the door and smoke burst in.  "Jonas took his chance and ran down the stairs.  I was less decisive and closed the door for a few seconds.  When I opened it again the smoke was black and I knew there was no escape that way", said Nora.  "I don't know what went through my head but I can remember thinking my only chance was to jump".  When she opened the window, flames were coming up from the kitchen window.  "I knew I had to jump a long way to avoid the flames".  She jumped 7-8 metres down to the ground.

"In fact I landed on my feet but went quickly down on my back.  I can't remember jumping but I can remember landing".  After landing she lay and screamed for her brother.  "I was afraid he was still inside, but fortunately he is OK", said Nora Neset Gjøen. Later she was in the hospital with her family round her.  

"The biggest surprise was how quickly it all went", said Erlend Gjøen.  "I would have expected to have time to call the fire brigade, but had no time to do that".

Nora's mother Marianne described how the family's cat warned them.  "It was the cat that told us something was wrong.  It suddenly came running down the stairs from the second floor and was completely hysterical".  When they ran up and saw the flames it took them about half a minute to get out of the house.  "We have had the news that Nora's injury is not too serious.  It is amazing that it did not turn out worse.  She is a well trained football girl, which might have had something to do with her escape", said Marianne Neset Gjøen.    

Erlend Gjøen drew a further conclusion from the incident.  "Now we know how little time we have to ourselves.  We will always be checking our escape routes and our smoke alarms".

Later a smiling Nora was interviewed in her hospital bed, and said on TV news: "now there will be a pause but soon I hope to be back in training".

http://fotball.aftenbladet.no/kvinner/article97227.ece
http://www.ba.no/nyheter/article3252581.ece
http://www.ba.no/nyheter/article3252358.ece
News video: http://www.bt.no/tv/Matte-hoppe-ut-vinduet-1871854.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:09:00 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.