Author Topic: Get your kicks this September with women's World Cup  (Read 1053 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Get your kicks this September with women's World Cup
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »
It's that time of year again when crazed fans cheer for their squads, pound thunder sticks, paint their faces in team colors and wear their favorite player's jersey.

It's the time of year when things get serious, and the games get physical. There are warnings, ejections and slides with cleats up.

During the games you can see the intensity in the coaches' faces, and you can hear the sound of ball-to-head contact.

Yes, ball-to-head contact. I'm talking about women's World Cup soccer time.

I know what most of you are thinking - I would rather watch snails race than watch soccer, let alone women's soccer.

But you're wrong. Soccer players take hard hits, get kicked in the head among many other places, and the only protective gear they wear is on their shins.

The women play a different game than the men, taking a more team-oriented fundamental approach. Plus, the U.S. women are actually good and can make it out of their pool.

This year's World Cup has more exciting story lines than Ron Artest has receipts from the bail bondsmen.

One of the event's storylines is that the World Cup will be held in China, the site of the 2008 Summer Olympics. Teams will look to set the tone for 2008 and prove that they will be the team to beat.

In the last World Cup in 2003, the women from the United States left having to settle for third after the German team knocked them out in the semifinals. This year the red, white and blue are ranked No. 1 in the world and seek revenge for their early exit in 2003.

But the U.S. won't have an easy time getting another World Cup title. Group B boasts teams such as Sweden at No. 4, Korea DPR at No. 5 and Nigeria in the top 25.

The other thing is that the quality of women's soccer is always improving, so even weak teams could come out looking tough to beat.

The U.S. team also has the challenge of adapting to a new coach and a lot of new faces.

New coach Greg Ryan has taken over a team that lost some of its benchmark players like Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy and Brandi Chastain, who retired after the 2003 World Cup.

Even though the team has done well leading up to the World Cup, you never what's going to happen with a young team.

How can you pass up the women's World Cup? I know you will be pleasantly surprised. Just give it a chance.

http://media.www.theorion.com/media/storage/paper889/news/2007/05/16/Sports/Get-Your.Kicks.This.September.With.Womens.World.Cup-2897802.shtml