Author Topic: Women's Football: Wylie will miss Setanta final  (Read 2450 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Women's Football: Wylie will miss Setanta final
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
Linfield will be without a key member of their set-up when they take on Drogheda United in Saturday evening's Setanta Sports Cup final.

Manager David Jeffrey will still have all 16 players from last weekend's Irish Cup final win over Dungannon Swifts available to him though.

The absentee will be on the bench as first-team coach Alfie Wylie wears his other hat as manager of the Northern Ireland women's team.

The girls will make history when take on England in a European Championship qualifier at Gillingham on Sunday afternoon as it will be the first time that Northern Ireland has taken part in this stage of the competition.

Wylie knew there was potential for a clash of dates as soon as the fixtures were arranged and his day job as the Irish FA's Performance Co-ordinator for the female game has to take priority.

"In a way it is good to be in this situation because it means that Linfield are in the Setanta Cup final," said Wylie.

"If the game against England was at home then maybe I could have got to both, I would love to have been able to do that, but this way I can't.

"I tried to think of a way around it, so far I haven't come up with one.

"It is disappointing to miss such a big game with Linfield, but the women's game is big too and that is one I can't miss no matter what."

England are bound for the World Cup in China this Autumn and will provide a tough challenge for Wylie's girls.

"England named a provisional squad of 30 and all their top players were in there," said Wylie.

"Their players are playing for places in the World Cup squad so it is probably not that good a time to be playing them.

"It might have been better if this match had been after the World Cup."

NORTHERN IRELAND WOMEN'S SQUAD: Angela Platt, Emma Higgins, Kelly Leyland, Julie Nelson, Una Harkin, Kelly Bailie, Ashley Hutton, Helen McKenna, Kimberley Turner, Stacey Hall, Rebecca Corish, Sarah McFadden, Laura Gillespie, Claire Carson, Aine McGovern, Lynsey Patterson, Sara Booth and Danielle McDowell.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/article2525150.ece