Author Topic: Harrassment & bullying in football / Allegations  (Read 1303 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Re: Harrassment & bullying in football / Allegations
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »

More support for Aluko from Lianne Sanderson, in a 5 Live interview:

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41019789

And Anita Asante:

- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/23/england-women-fearful-speaking-out-anita-asante

And Chelsea, to their credit:

“We commend Eni for coming forward and speaking about her experiences.

“Chelsea Football Club finds any and all forms of discrimination abhorrent and it is imperative that players are supported when coming forward to speak about these issues.”

And credit to Emma Hayes for having principles on this issue. Even this uncritical statement may damage the Chelsea boss's future relationship with the FA.

MP Rosena Allin-Khan has also called for a new inquiry, "when the FA need to be doing all they can to attract young women and people from minority backgrounds into football".

Those players above have also all mentioned they suspect the FA won't allow them to be selected for England again.

We should let Sampson clear his name, I say! It's all very messy at the moment. And the FA haven't even had the decency to release a random video of a meeting where Sampson didn't say "you've been arrested"! That doesn't help the public, or the FA, or Sampson. Cos of the lingering suspicion. :o

So I've been forced to find a video myself. It may or may not be the right one, but definitely a good distraction:

EXHIBIT A: Sampson not being racist in a meeting:
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKh2XDVJiM

See?

Also:

Certainly he thinks he's this great comic and its so painfully clear that he isn't, indeed if Bernie Winters had become a football manager he would have been way funnier than Sampson.  Even knowing a person really well it would be unlikely that jokes about Ebola would go down too well.

By an amazing coincidence, Sampson will try to make up for the Euros failure, and get back into the fans' good books, by covering an old Bernie Winters song. Can he be funnier? Not sure, but he's going to sing this before the Russia qualifier:

EXHIBIT B: "There's An Elephant In My Bedroom"
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVrZRJfTBE

(allegedly)

Offline Banbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »
The thing that has really hacked me off about this sorry state of affairs is that here we have two England footballers raising a serious complaint about the management against the top level of women's football. Quite rightly an investigation is held by the senior mangement at the FA, which would be reasonable - in any organisation. Then they decide to have a second investigation by a barrister no less, which appears nothing less than thorough - again this sounds very compliant in most organisations.
Now I am not sure about the first enquiry (as I didn't see anything mentioned), but how on earth can the second enquiry take place by a barrister and find 'no case to answer' when the two footballers making the allocations were NOT ACTUALLY INTERVIEWED by the barrister ???
I have held senior positions in businesses for many years which has required me to conduct numerous HR reviews including some cases such as these and I have never worked for an organisation that would dream of holding an enquiry of this nature without interviewing every party involved. How the hell can you evaluate what has occurred without doing this?
The FA need to move into this century and stop burying their heads in the sand, however, I guess you only get the outcome you can be sure of if you only listen to one side of the argument.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
Gee this is starting to get out of hand now...maybe time for old Marky boy to do the decent thing and go....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4876392/England-Women-boss-Mark-Sampson-faces-fresh-scrutiny.html

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
but how on earth can the second enquiry take place by a barrister and find 'no case to answer' when the two footballers making the allocations were NOT ACTUALLY INTERVIEWED by the barrister ???
Did Aluko not say that she would not take part in the independent enquiry, because she didn’t believe it would be done fairly or something?

If I am reading correctly, that enquiry didn’t say Sampson was innocent. It just said that there was no case to answer. If those making the allegations won’t then take part in the enquiry, then there is no case to answer, is there?

I am no fan of Sampson and if he is genuinely guilty, I hope he gets what he deserves, but Aluko’s handling of this whole affair has been terrible and has opened herself wide to accusations of just trying to cause trouble for a coach he doesn’t like

Ebola comment – Bad thing to say. Very insensitive, but not racist. It was a joke in poor taste, regarding a disease. The fact that the disease was in Africa doesn’t make the comment racist!

Arrest comment – Again, not racist! White people get arrested too. Seemingly a video of the meeting do not seem to show him making that comment, which Aluko wasn’t there to hear

“Lazy” comment – Coaches criticize players for being lazy all the time. If you disagree, you ask the coach why he thinks that! Coaches are not there to pamper players!

“Pain in the arse” comment – appears to have been said jovially and the more this goes on, the more it seems to have some accuracy about it!

If a player feels like she has been singled out for bullying and racism, I would expect there to be more than just the things that have been made public, but in trying to win sympathy, you would expect Aluko to go public with some of the worse incidents. If these are among the worse, then I’m afraid I just don’t see a case!

Last night’s comments from her on Twitter just make her look more bitter IMHO, criticizing the players for showing her a lack of respect towards her and calling them selfish!

I wonder how the Chelsea players in that team will feel about playing with her at the weekend?
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
Well, she has got her way then! BREAKING NEWS: Mark Sampson set to leave as England women's manager

I wonder if Sampson’s preplacement will feel obliged to play Eni and if so, what atmosphere will that create in the team?
BUZZ BEE

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
BBC reports departure relates to fresh allegations made about his conduct in a previous role!  No doubt if they know that much these allegations will leak out - got to say so far even if true the ebola and arrested comments don't necessarily equate to racism but we will see what comes out in the wash.

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
So it seems he's been sacked for inappropriate relationships  with players during his time at Bristol, something the FA had previously investigated years ago and sent him on a safeguarding course over as a result.   Guardian reporter tweeting it's quite a major scandl - if so why did the FA clear him to continue coaching? 

Offline Cabbages

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
good riddance to sampson- should never have got the job in the first place. The FA is an ass and always will be-

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Well, she has got her way then! BREAKING NEWS: Mark Sampson set to leave as England women's manager

I wonder if Sampson’s preplacement will feel obliged to play Eni and if so, what atmosphere will that create in the team?

It was never just about Eni other players were effected and would the players left out by Sampson want to come back especially after the WC qualifier...the opener against Russia may go down as one of the most ill judged goal celebrations in history...

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
Well let's wait and see what he's done.   Some of you may know but for those of us not privileged with inside information it could be anything from predatory behaviour constituting abuse of power for sexual gratification or something rather more forgiveable.   It's clear many of the England players are right behind him and the two loudest critics are both players he discarded.   So far I've seen nothing that suggests to me he should have been sacked though if his behaviour at Bristol constitutes him taking advantage of his position or of young players I certainly wont be defending him.

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »
... I read it slightly differently but maybe being cynical...... that the FA know with a full investigation now being held into the Eni Aluko matters, they realise there are grounds and perhaps also have wind of the additional statements being made and therefore its better to let him go now than face big more public press further down the line .... once it breaks it will be lesser news in 3/4 mths time and certainly if racism is upheld and do less damage than being upheld now if he no longers works for the FA?.

However does raise some questions as to a} how he wasn't properly vetted being he became England manager?; or did they really not think it mattered that he had been 'sent' on a safeguarding course?, was the course meant to fix the problem, unlikely, he was caught out making an inappropriate comment/action, a days course doesn't fix that?; b) the investigation twice done which wasn't done properly again raises questions about the FAs way of working ,such claims and not do the whole investigation, I find that upsetting that if my daughter faced discrimination it would be buried, minimalized or denied as being racism. If Eni feels it's racism then investigate properly. Doesn't matter what we all think, I have no idea and all the group hugs and teamy nonsense mean nothing if she is proven to be correct. Its her take on it that matters, the other players may not experience it, see it or acknowledge it. So whatever, the FA should have taken it seriously and asked her to bring forward evidence and witnesses who may support that claim and spoken to them. And finally for me c)  given what occurred against the Dutch, his vision on correcting the problems he faced on the pitch (left side and full strike power) not sure he had the corrective vision but appreciate he appears to have brought a good team together even if they have a vested interest. Maybe not the best team IMO. Aluko is an excellent natural striker and should have gone to the Euros and played, we didn't gel up front for all the talk of teamwork and the left side needs work and where is Asante nowadays?. interesting times .............

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
With Kelly Smith suggesting that the FA should ensure the next manager is a woman, could this be a detrimental step in the overall fight for equality? I don’t mean if a woman is appointed, but if the decision is taken before an appointment, that it needs to be a woman.

There are those who are campaigning for more women to be given coaching roles within the men’s game (As well as ethnic minorities). I may be wrong, but I think Kelly Smith has been one of those calling for this. The thinking is (or at least should be) that if a job comes up in the men’s game, it should go to the best applicant, regardless of gender (or race). However, if there is a big job going in the women’s game and the decision is that only women should be considered, this could then be used as an argument for women not being considered for coaching roles in the men’s game.

The bottom line is that in BOTH cases, the best applicant should get the job!

IMHO, if he wants the job, I think Nick Cushing would be head and shoulders above the other candidates. It would be a shame if he is not considered, based on his gender, at a time when there is a real fight for equality in coaching men’s teams
BUZZ BEE

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Not sure I feel it has to be a woman, it would be good if it was I guess given it's the women's national team. However there was a lot of 'talk' around the previous, female, manager so the FA aren't having much luck it seems with selecting appropriate, managers? ........

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 03:11:59 PM »
With Kelly Smith suggesting that the FA should ensure the next manager is a woman, could this be a detrimental step in the overall fight for equality? I don’t mean if a woman is appointed, but if the decision is taken before an appointment, that it needs to be a woman.

I don't think Kelly Smith said that I think it was more along the lines of 'it would be good if a women got the job'...well old Mo is in for the time being and well see what happens...But the whole thing has moved away from Eni Aluko and really about the FA their handling of the situation and who did what and when (or not as the case may be  Main point why was Sampson sacked over the situation at Bristol yet the racism etc left to pass. 

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »

I don't think Kelly Smith said that I think it was more along the lines of 'it would be good if a women got the job'...well old Mo is in for the time being and well see what happens...But the whole thing has moved away from Eni Aluko and really about the FA their handling of the situation and who did what and when (or not as the case may be  Main point why was Sampson sacked over the situation at Bristol yet the racism etc left to pass.

Because he was cleared of the charge of racism.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »

Because he was cleared of the charge of racism.

I'm not sure the Tony Blair style 'inquiry' is really that much of a ringing endorsement, it will be interesting to see what comes out of the commons select committee, it will be the first time Eni Aluko will have given her side of things to any kind of panel...

Offline Cabbages

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
It has to be the best person for the job, dont care if it is a man or a women but the best English person-

Offline sylvain

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
The Aluko think is a complex situation, some of the bullying stuff she mentioned is coaching behaviour that you see in every country an international level. The racism allegations are more worrying.

Regarding the Bristol stuff, I find it strange that the FA conveniently found in a drawer the old inquiry about his behaviour. Everyone in the women football bubble knew about stories about him.
As usual there was no real proof shown around. But stories have been going round for a long time.