Poll

Should players spend 10 minutes out of the game if they're shown a yellow card for dissent?

It's a good idea
2 (66.7%)
It's a sin
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closes: July 16, 2018, 11:07:52 AM

Author Topic: Sin bin in football? poll  (Read 237 times)

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
Sin bin in football? poll
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
As explained here:

- http://shekicks.net/2017/07/15/county-league-trials-sin-bins/

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40606261

(Edit) It won't be the same in all countries, but the FA were given the choice of how to trial a 10-minute sin bin. They decided it should be for dissent bookings, which make up a quarter of all yellow cards.

Not sure about the benefits or dangers yet. I'm not such a follower of men's football a.k.a. professional whining - so this will obviously have a drastic effect, with many teams being down to 3 or 4 men within minutes of kick-off.

But it's coming to women's football too! The trials include 3 county leagues. Might bring in the curious punters.

So, if you wanna see someone get sin-binned (and let's face it who doesn't?), go to a 2017/18 league match in

- Durham County FA
- Gloucestershire County FA
- Midwest Counties (Hereford./Shrops./Worcs.)

One of the FA's new "sin booths"
(AlejandroLinaresGarcia, cc-by-sa)
-
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:50:03 PM by sbahnhof »

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
Re: Sin bin in football? poll
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
I like the idea of a sin bin, but for ‘non-descent’ offences.

The reason I think this is that you are giving the other team an advantage for offences that didn’t have a negative effect on them and not giving them an advantage when the offence has affected them
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »

The reason I think this is that you are giving the other team an advantage for offences that didn’t have a negative effect on them and not giving them an advantage when the offence has affected them

Fantastic post! You should be working for the FA. Dunno if they pay well, but they need a "logic advisor", or something

About the sin bin for dissenters, I believe their motive was that the best way to stop dissent is to get rid of the players.

-

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
for those unaware of the proposal to trial sin bins

it is being trialled at the "lower" levels of the game to begin with and initially the only offence for which a player can be sin-binned is dissent

not aware of all the leagues chosen, but the idea is for a good mix - adult/youth; male/female and also geographical

the range of offences may expand in future seasons if things work well in the 2017-18 trial leagues, possibly initially on a trial basis. If 2017-18 trials go well, then expect sin bin for dissent to be introduced in many more leagues in 2018-19

the FA view is that it needs to be trialled

Offline buzzbee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »

Fantastic post! You should be working for the FA. Dunno if they pay well, but they need a "logic advisor", or something

About the sin bin for dissenters, I believe their motive was that the best way to stop dissent is to get rid of the players.

-
It’s a pretty way-out idea I know and I don’t expect it to ever happen, but something I have suggested in the past is the introduction of another card, for offenses that are not against the opposition, such as descent, taking your shirt off or going into the crowd during a celebration etc…

My idea is aimed mainly at reducing the number of dismissals (by reducing the number of bookings and therefore double yellows), so that we get to see as much 11 v 11 as possible

Instead of getting a yellow (and possibly a second yellow) for offenses that are not against the opposition, you would get (for example) a blue card. Each one would result in a fine and if you get to a certain level (3 blue cards? 5 blue cards?), you get suspended. Perhaps there could also be sanctions against a manager/head coach for teams that consistently pick them up

This way, the opposition don’t get an advantage for an offence that didn’t affect them, but the offending player/team would still get punished

It could also be used to really highlight the respect campaign
BUZZ BEE
If at first you don't succeed... cheat!

Offline sbahnhof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
It’s a pretty way-out idea I know and I don’t expect it to ever happen, but something I have suggested in the past is the introduction of another card, for offenses that are not against the opposition, such as descent, taking your shirt off or going into the crowd during a celebration etc…

My idea is aimed mainly at reducing the number of dismissals (by reducing the number of bookings and therefore double yellows), so that we get to see as much 11 v 11 as possible

Instead of getting a yellow (and possibly a second yellow) for offenses that are not against the opposition, you would get (for example) a blue card. Each one would result in a fine and if you get to a certain level (3 blue cards? 5 blue cards?), you get suspended. Perhaps there could also be sanctions against a manager/head coach for teams that consistently pick them up

This way, the opposition don’t get an advantage for an offence that didn’t affect them, but the offending player/team would still get punished

It could also be used to really highlight the respect campaign

Apparently they have this in some indoor and five-a-side football.

- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3625634.stm
- https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-blue-card-in-football

Main problem is, they can't get the colour right.

THAT'S PURPLE