Author Topic: Recruitment to play football at a USA university  (Read 700 times)

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
Recruitment to play football at a USA university
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
We are thinking about sending our daughter to a showcase event for Pass4Soccer, which is a company that helps students get soccer scholarships to play soccer at universities in the USA. There are quite a few American coaches attending the event, but of course no guarantee of anything at the end of it. Does anyone know about Pass4Soccer or other similar companies? Is it worth it to go this route? Personal experiences would be gratefully heard!!

Offline coey

• View Profile
Re: Recruitment to play football at a USA university
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
1. p4s dont allow u to specify on your profile what course u want, so you will get calls from random coaches.
2. build up a decent cv as sadly most people go on whats on paper again no where on your profile to exhibit it, but have handy to give to prospective college.
3. go and play at the showcase
4. video as much as possible  at your normal club football (if allowed)
5. research course and colleges yourself and  get them to make the contact, otherwise your cv just ends up at colleges where their mates from their college days are now coaching.

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
Thank you for the helpful info and it sounds like we need to do as much as possible ourselves to give our daughter the best chance of going where she wants to go.

Offline Banbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »
Hi we registered with Pass4Soccer, my daughter attended several showcases which were filmed, she also attended the main showcase in December. The staff at P4S have been excellent, really helpful & knowledgeable throuout the process and even since she has been in the US.
She received over 20 scholarship offers with different levels of football and differing academic requirements. She is now half way through her second year at a great university and absolutely loving it, not just the football, but the whole experience.
My tips would be to get as much video footage as possible and get this turned into a highlights tape, (they will help you with this), she will also need to work on the SATS test, as it is somewhat different to our exams. When you get to the point of selecting universities, do your homework on the level they play at (is this right for your daughters level?), the subjects they offer, the size & location and just as important look at the achademic requirements of the uni, the Div 1 colleges insist that you maintain the required GPA & this adds pressure if they are not an achademic scholar.
Hope that helps, but I would definitely recommend P4S.
Good luck

Offline Welsh May

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
Hi, we're just going through the process with P4S and can only echo the above summary. They've been good. I suspect there are cheaper ways but tbh we don't have the time and they do need to be 'seen'. The assessment days and showcases have been great (you get out what you put in I guess).  We were told she did need to have an idea of the subject and course she was interested in and possible univs so she could be targeted to places that did her subject?. Then we should consider what level eg Div 1, Div 2 etc and who offered, would depend on who she was playing for in the next two years and her sats could also affect this too. Though we guess an England player is likely to get a good offer regardless but ..... anyway there's lots of help and advice .....

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
Thank you, that's really interesting and helpful.

We're only looking at Div 1 universities, but it's hard to get a sense of what the coaches (and general ethos of the teams) are like at different schools, despite a lot of internet trawling. The NCAA website has a useful rankings list, but doesn't tell much more beyond that.

Banbo, can I be nosey and ask what uni your daughter goes to? (no problem if you'd rather not say).

Offline coey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
As for deciding the ethos, that's where the interview process is good with the college or uni coach.
Playing time for newcomers, squad size, number of overseas players,style of play, academic support, can they help your football career  after your uni/college,  whats the 'deal' in terms of fees can be clarified.

Offline Banbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »
Hi Roses are Red,
My daughter is at Lafayette College in Easton PA, about 1 1/2 hours west of New York. We did as much research as poss on each of the Uni's looking at the size & campus style, subjects, Etc etc. But as mentioned above holding Skype calls with the coaches was really valuable and gave us the best incite and feel for he style of the college. We found that my daughter very quickly built a rapport with some coaches and not with others. That relationship was probably one of the key drivers as we needed her to feel confident and comfortable from the start and that she knew what the coach saw in her and how she would fit in with the team as a whole.
They are in the Div 1 Patriot League which is an extremely high intensity programme as the seasons are relatively short but with lots of very competitive games and they have to squeeze in loads of lectures & homework - as achieving the required grades is essential.
That said she is loving it, we have had a couple of her team back to visit us who were great and she is making some life long friends.

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Hi Banbo,

Thank you so much for your post.

It sounds like your daughter is having the experience of a lifetime, which is great to hear. My daughter had a similar experience when she spoke with coaches, getting a more positive vibe from some of them in terms of their coaching style, temperament, what they're looking for, etc. The sheer number of American universities with top soccer programmes was a bit daunting, and like you said, it was vital to do research...the internet is an amazing tool for this sort of thing! It's been a fascinating process (and a lot of work for my daughter) particularly since we decided to do it on our own without the help of an agency (although Pass4Soccer seemed excellent). I'm pleased to say that we are now at the end of it though. She's now been offered a full ride at a Div 1 SEC uni, which was one of her top choices and a good fit, so she's going with that.

Offline Banbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
That's great news, hope she has a fantastic time - I'm sure she will
Good luck and best wishes to her.

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
Thanks, Banbo, and to everyone else who posted on this thread with such helpful advice...much appreciated :).

Offline StatDad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »
This thread has been a very interesting and helpful read

Has anyone come across CSUSA (http://www.collegescholarshipsusa.com/) as an alternative to P4S mentioned previously, and have any thoughts or comments about the service they provide - positive or otherwise?

Thank you

Offline RosesAreRed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
I don't know anything at all about College Scholarship USA (but that doesn't mean they aren't good) but I recommend asking a LOT of questions before signing on the dotted line. One of the most important things to ask is what American unis come to their showcase, how many kids have they placed at them and how much did they get in scholarship money. I would also suggest that you do your research first to make a list of 20 or so schools your daughter might be interested in in terms of football, location, academics, size of school, etc. There is a huge variety of unis in the USA, far more so than in the UK, so it is important for your daughter to know what she wants as early as possible in the process.  Good luck to you both!!!