Author Topic: This Girl Can  (Read 9215 times)

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
This Girl Can
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »
Let me lay my stall out right from the start: well done to Sport England for a fantastic campaign idea: "This Girl Can". Of course this forum might not be the most appropriate for discussing this as most of us here either know, or are, girls who already do.

But can you believe some of the drivel that's being written about it, saying how awful it is? My (least) favourite example is this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/16/this-girl-can-campaign-sex-sport-real-women-bodies-objectifying-female-flesh

Their objections:
  • using the word "girl" as older people will object
  • women's bodies are shown on screen which must therefore be sexualised images intended for a male audience
  • use of the term "sweating like a pig" is too close to "fat pig"
  • should be about feelings and emotions rather than exercise

Is it just me or are there some real die-hard "activists" out there (although exactly what they are campaigning for I'm not sure) who are not happy seeing women choose any form of activity that is currently majority male?

Offline law10

• View Profile
Re: This Girl Can
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:44 AM »
I saw that before but just came across this.  Funny, but I never once thought of sex while watching it then or now.  I thought it was a really inspiring and fantastically executed piece about the human spirit.

It’s disappointing that a campaign to get women more physically active doesn’t focus on how exercise strengthens friendship, reduces the stress of work and care and gives us physical and emotional strength.

What were they watching?  That's 100.00000000000000% of what I saw.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:58:26 AM by law10 »